Reactivating stock alarm?

I might be a bit of an idiot and someone's answered this question before but is there any way to reactivate the alarm skoda fit in a fabia after it stops working after 5 years? The manual mentions that it stops functioning after so many years.

:)

Depends what was done to deactivate it. 99% of the time this will either be because the backup battery in the unit died, or the alarm went off randomly and someone decided to "shut it up", rather than fix the problem causing the false alarms (sensor adjustment etc).

Congratulations on finding a new topic to talk about!

The actual wording is:

"The working life of the alarm siren is 5 years. More detailed information is available from your Škoda Service Partner."

Note that doesn't mirror what you said: "...is there any way to reactivate the alarm skoda fit in a fabia after it stops working after 5 years? The manual mentions that it stops functioning after so many years"

Hence it won't suddenly stop working after that interval but I suspect it's referring as has been mentioned to the fact that the alarm will have a rechargeable battery in it and these lose efficiency and eventually may fail - thus the siren won't go off.

Certainly my 2004vRS's alarm was as far as I know still working 6 years later when I sold it and I assume my current one is still working over 5 years later (though I've not checked it).

You would need to have it working to maintain insurance cover so I suspect it's just a case of replacing the battery, but since no one's mentioned it before in my experience it's impossible to advise whether that's an easy DIY job or not - I don't even know where it is!.

Has yours actually failed?

Well I've only had the car about 3 months and in that time I haven't been able to set off the alarm. I can enable it since the flashing red light appears on the driver door. Is it possible to order a new battery and or siren for it? Anyone got any part numbers etc and possibly where I would find the parts in the car. :)

One way to test the alarm is lock the car then open the boot with the key in the boot lock. The alarm should go off.

It also once went off when I had the bonnet open and then locked the car.

My car is a 2004 btw and the alarm still works. Don't know if it would still work if the main car battery was flat.

Phil

Ah right.

Thought the Fabia had one oh well. Not sure how else to test. Maybe lock the car with the bonnet open and while pressing the switch (think it's near the front somewhere) then once it's locked and armed then release the switch. It should go off.

Phil

Lock the car, open the boot with the remote popper.

Open the boot and leave it open for 30 seconds. The car should lock itself with the boot open.

Wave your arm about inside the car and set off the sensor.

• Like 1

While I'm here I'll tell you what I've tried to set it off.

• Pulling on door handles and boot release
  • Rocking the bonnet
  • Rocking it side to side

Nothing seems to set it off

Lock the car, open the boot with the remote popper.

Open the boot and leave it open for 30 seconds. The car should lock itself with the boot open.

Wave your arm about inside the car and set off the sensor.

I'll try this when I'm home from uni :)

While I'm here I'll tell you what I've tried to set it off.

• Pulling on door handles and boot release
  • Rocking the bonnet
  • Rocking it side to side

Nothing seems to set it off

None of those will set the alarm off.

Only a movement inside the car (including windows breaking) or a door, the boot or bonnet will set it off. I don't think these cars have a movement sensor.

Phil

• Like 1

Mine goes off if you sit in the car, double lock it, then try and open all of the doors, with mine you have to double pull them.

Ah yeh. "Double" locking it disables the deadlocks so you can open the doors from the inside but leaves the alarm on.

If you just single press the locking button the car is deadlocked and alarm armed.

Does the Fabia have the little button on the kick panel near the bonnet catch to disable the internal sensors?

Phil

Ah yeh. "Double" locking it disables the deadlocks so you can open the doors from the inside but leaves the alarm on.

If you just single press the locking button the car is deadlocked and alarm armed.

Does the Fabia have the little button on the kick panel near the bonnet catch to disable the internal sensors?

Phil

Ohh rite ok :) that explains why it doesn't work sometime then because I only single lock it, I tend to check my alarm quite often because I'm paranoid about someone pinching it :(

Not that I know of :/ never seen it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, by Jack.

I've set mine off by using the key to unlock the door manually, then opening the door and not being quick enough putting the key in the ignition.

Don't know if it's meant to do it i just only unlock my car with the electric fob now

I've set mine off by using the key to unlock the door manually, then opening the door and not being quick enough putting the key in the ignition.

Don't know if it's meant to do it i just only unlock my car with the electric fob now

That that is a security feature. It was implemented to cover a security flaw in the door locks I think.

Phil

That that is a security feature. It was implemented to cover a security flaw in the door locks I think.

Phil

I see! Well if it's meant to be there I shan't complain

Has it ocurred to anyone that it may not have an alarm,

but just an immobiliser. My SDI was immobiliser only.

Ended up fitting a Toad after it was broken into.

It also had an LED lockpin and flashing button on the radio.

But no alarm, until I had one installed.