Newbie question - What is Maxidot?

Looking at buying an Octavia VRS 2 petrol. I see a lot of people talking about maxidot and jumbo boxes. what are these and how do i know if the car i'm looking at has them?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Mike.

Jumbo box is a central, front armrest which has storage space inside. Maxidot is a dot-matrix information display between the speedo and rev counter, rather than just the usual warning lights. Even if it doesn't have Maxidot, you should still get a trip computer for mpg, etc.

Two elements to MaxiDot as far as I can tell.

1. A better trip computer. Both MaxiDot and non-MaxiDot have two 'trip' functions (mpg, avg speed, distance) one for the 'current' trip and the other since a manual reset or max distance. The MaxiDot version has a a greater max. distance. My Elegance, without MaxiDot, auto resets this trip at 1200 miles or there about. A pain when on a 2000 mile touring holiday!

2. Enables various settings of the car electronics to be set. Not having it I don't know the full capability, but for example, I want to turn on anti-hijack feature (lock the doors at 15Kmph) but to do so I believe a dealer will sting me for £40. This and other 'convenience' features can be set as and when you want.

If I'd known this when I bought mine I may well have ordered it as an extra.

Edit...

Forgot the JumboBox bit - it's a storage box -cum- armrest between front seats. The armrest is adjustable for reach and height which I find quite comfortable on a long run. Another nice touch is that it is chilled (unless you close the flap) when the air-con is on - nice for a cool can of something en-route.

steve

Edited by sneal

I did not know the jumbo box was cooled, thought it was only the glovebox!

I also didn't know it was adjustable, makes a mental note to check tomorrow..

Maxidot is excellent, looks much more modern too.

Oh, Mike - there seem to be a few improvements with 57 plate onward cars inc. Maxidot, the jumbo armrest, 18" wheels (although some may prefer 17's!) and rear elec windows. I think cruise control also became standard then?

The only FOC additions were the 18" alloys, rear electric windows and the jumbo box.

Cruise and Maxidot have always been cost options on the vRS.

Unless you are in Ireland, then its all standard :p but we only get 17" Alloys