Toyota Aygo vs Citigo ?

Hudson1

And does more mpg on a combi figure on a like for like basis...

Counting the 2k price hike (thats a estimate btw as I have no idea how much the eco model costs on top) for the one that then joins the 107 in the emissions sub 100 group and in turn free and returning maybe 1 / 2 mpg more than a normal 107... yeah really good!

I'm not saying the VAG version is bad. Just its not as good for simply cheap motoring.

Its plus features IMHO outweight that.... with the extra space and build quailty.

The 107 is based on 10 year old technology and it shows based on what others have said, the Citigo is brand new tech based on the latest VW group chassis and has a more modern feel. The 107 was facelifted as it is coming to end of life to be replaced by the 108, so dealers are discounting the current one to sell all the old stock, that in itself is not good come resale time. The knock on effect of massive discounts and being an obsolete model will hit residuals badly.

http://www.peugeot108.com

Sorry its in Spanish.

I don't like the front end of that 108 ! It looks like they forgot to design it, its just a big hole at the front !

What about a cheap Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10? The fact is there is really no such thing as a bad car these days, made by robots,so its very rare to get a Friday special as in the old days.

All city cars are perfect for short trips round town and to the shops. Cars like the Mondeo and Insignia for long motorway runs,and Jaguar,BMW and Mercedes for luxury.

Any City car is perfect for today,as they make them with a more grown up feel to them. The UP/Citigo are excellent cars,and most people would be happy with the Aygo/107 or any small car.

Drive a Hyundai i10, then drive a Citigo -we did, you'll be happy to pay that little bit more. Technically the Hyundai is a very good car: cheap and reliable, however we just hated driving it and didn't find it comfortable

A second hand Toyota iQ is so far ahead compared to a brand new Aygo/107/C1 for the same money or less.

Loads of room if only 2 of you or even 3. actually as much room for 4 in comparison.

No luggage space with 3 or 4 tho.

Again for 2 and the occasional 3 carried the front 2 will have much more room than in a Citigo,Up!, Mimi.

As a 3 door it has the same big long door problem as a 3 door Ciyigo.

george

Drive a Hyundai i10, then drive a Citigo -we did, you'll be happy to pay that little bit more. Technically the Hyundai is a very good car: cheap and reliable, however we just hated driving it and didn't find it comfortable

Given that I'm on my second i10 - a manual and then an automatic, I just typed out a list of reasons why you shouldn't buy one (at least why I won't be buying another)....but I scrubbed it out in an attempt to be a more positive person and try to see the good in everything.

And you have every right to ask why, after the first one, I bought another.....it defies logic really.....

Edited by oldstan

Given that I'm on my second i10 - a manual and then an automatic, I just typed out a list of reasons why you shouldn't buy one (at least why I won't be buying another)....but I scrubbed it out in an attempt to be a more positive person and try to see the good in everything.

And you have every right to ask why, after the first one, I bought another.....it defies logic really.....

My wifes got an i10, the clutch is hideous !

Still looking like a Citigo then ..... although the argument about the 107 was compelling, your right the idea of a city car is as cheap as chips with max MPG, and i guess that fits the bill.

• Like 1

Still looking like a Citigo then ..... although the argument about the 107 was compelling, your right the idea of a city car is as cheap as chips with max MPG, and i guess that fits the bill.

Did you consider the Suzuki Splash (currently VAT free)?

But I was buying a city car today, I would no doubt buy the VAG version.... so go figure :)

Hi,

I have been a Toyota Aygo user for past 2 years and having recently tested VW Up, Hyundai i10 and Kia picanto can certainly summarise the differences. First of all if I had to grade the cars , I would definitely rate the VW Up (or Citigo) as first, Aygo as second and the Hyundai and Picanto as joint third in terms of quality of build, driving and handling quality etc. Going in to details;

The Two Koreans.

I actually drove the two koreans for the second time today after an interval of one year and can say collectively that inspite of the modern looks these cars are noisy (both tyre, wind and engine noise are unbearable), with lot of vibration at motorway speed. The engine stalls if not revved up and is very noisy. On the Picanto the floor actually vibrates!! The gear and the engine do not seem to match. They got unsteady at 90Km/h, and were very sensitive to wind gush from a passing cars. At speeds of 110km/h I felt that I had very little control over the car, very unsteady and dangerous! I felt like ditching them at the side of the motorway, it was so painful after 30 min of drive! I told the hyundai representative what I thought of the lack of insulation and the noise and he surprisingly agreed. His only defence was that "they are cheap, small city cars".

The japanese.

Aygo has been our favourite until now. It has been very relaible, the engine has been quite responsive and the gear is well matched (we have the auto but I have driven the manual as well). It has given us good milage. BUT at motor way speeds above 100KM/h it has been rather noisy, mostly tyre and wind noise and some times engine noise when thrashed. I have spent a lot of time DIY insulating the Aygo and now I can drive it on the motor way with speeds up to 120 Km/h without head ache but at speeds above 110 km/h the Aygo gets rather unstable and can be wobbly with less responsive steering. It has a tiny boot compared to both the koreans and the VW Up. Toyota has been very supportive and has changed the faulty water pump, etc even after the gaurantee period. Aygo was certainly the standard when it came out 7-8 years ago but it is showing its age now and I would not recommend any one to buy this model now. There is a new kid in town! It is called UP!

The German/ Slovakian

I drove the VW UP (move up) two days ago and was shocked to say the least. It drove and felt like a much bigger car. The engine was very responsive (better than Aygo), the car was very stable even at 130km/h on the motor way, there was hardly any noise even at that speed (not quiet to the level of my 3 series BMW but very acceptable). I could drive it for hours if I had to without any problem. The brakes were very good and were assisted unlike Aygo. Oh! the gears were very very sleek, just slotted in with minimal of action (better than my BMW!). The steering was very precise. The suspension was very good unlike the two koreans. It soaked all the bumps. The car was bigger on the inside, bigger boot with two levels. Driver's seat had height adjuster unlike the Aygo and the glove compartment lid came with the car (you pay 30Euro xtra for that in Aygo!). Funnily, I could see the remanants of Aygo in it like the single piece glas rear door, the single power window switches on each door, hinged rear passenger door glass pane, absent wheel arch liner on the rear wheel, absent boot light, partial padding on the doors, three cylinder engine etc. The engine suspension system is very well made and seems to be bigger and better than Aygo. That certainly helps in isolating the engine noise and vibration from the chasis. Volkswagen has copied and improved and added on the Aygo and tried to remove its weaknesses. They have done a good job. Well done! The only thing that I would complain was the long clutch pedal travel (high clutch pedal?), and I felt that my two legs were at very different level, but that could be due to my unfamiliarity with this car. The big remaining question is the one on reliability. Is it going to be as reliable as the Aygo? Reading through this and the VW forum one hears rumble of discontent regarding water leakage, gear problem, steering problem etc, but I hope it is just the teething problem since it is otherwise such a promising little (big) car.

• Like 3

I have had a lot of nice cars over the last 40 years and yet the Citigo as cheap as it is - I just look forward to every drive - it's a personal thing but for me it just does the job and a whole lot more.

• Like 1