Skoda advice please

Looking at buying a Skoda superb in the near future, a new one is out of the question due to funds,

What are members thoughts on a 2.0 Diesel superb , pros and cons if you could

Not had a skoda before but they look quite up to the mark

your thoughts please

Rammer

I have the 140bhp 2.0tdi. Bought from Skoda UK used stock (9 months, 4000 miles) in February. Absolutely brilliant. Expected the space, comfort, mile-eating cruising. Didn't expect the economy: always 50mpg+ out of town. Usually 55+. Mega boot, clever twindoor. Even 'S' trim isn't bad spec.

• Like 1

Thank you Stuart

I was beginning to think nobody owned one, I like the look of them and at averaging 55 MPG I can live with that,

I am due home in the UK at xmas and will have a look at Skoda UK, at least I will have some garantee with them .

2nd hand of ebay you cannot always be sure,

Thanks again will let you know what I get

Rammer :nerd:

Hi,

I have the 2.0 TDi 140BHP Elegance on a 10 plate. Bought it at the start of August this year and it had 35000 on the clock and for the money I paid for it it is easily the best valued car I have ever owned.

Having run it for about ten weeks now the mileage is up to 42000 and I can quite happily say from a driving, comfort, gadget, financial (mpg) point of view again it is quite simply the best car I have ever owned. Best MPG so far doing a trip from Gatwick to Heathrow was 63mpg and that was with the speed floating between 65-70mph. Round the town it never seems to be worse than 45mpg.

I basically searched good old autotrader to find mine and ended up travelling from Gatwick to Cwmbran, South Wales, to get it from a non-skoda dealership out there.

As for real negatives, I struggle to find one. I have had a few minor rattles/squeaks/creaks which after a little investigation have been found and solved. I've also quietened down a couple of engine rattles by securing the air intake a little better than Skoda had bothered to do and also replaced the plastic engine cover mounts with rubber ones which absorb vibrations and therefore doesn't allow the engine cover to vibrate any more. Also I have changed the front tyres on mine from a budget pair to a decent pair as having the 18 inch wheels means you are more likely to suffer road noise, and the budgets I had on mine where incredibly noisy and so I got shot of them.

On the whole though this is a fantastic car, you might even say it's Superb! :-)

The 2.0 CR is a cracking engine, if a little thirstier than the PD it replaced.

The onboard trip computer is around 10% optimistic, so bear that in mind when some people quote MPG figures, the accurate way is to brim the tank each time and either manually work out the figures or use a site like fuelly to do it all for you.

If you are after economy then go for the Greenline as they are much better than the CR, normal sensible driving sees me returning around 47MPG (actual figures - fuelly) yes I can see 65MPG on my (now calibrated, so accurate) trip computer, but overall I still get an average around 47 per tankful, mine is the 2.0 170CR.

Pro's:

Huge interior space

Well built

Great spec for your money

Con's

The twinhatch is a bit fugly

"carpets' are pretty poor material... but do wear well

They are long, so can stick out of a parking bay.

Do I regret buying one? NO,

Would I buy another? Oh yes.

Thank you all for the input, it has given me a lot of food for thought, Also after having Mondeo for the last 15 years I am convinced this is the car I need, Will look at the avaibilty and make a decision, tghank you all again great load of input,

Regards

Rammer

Thank you pesmog her indoors wants to stay with a Mondeo but she says my MK 2 is uncomfy,

I am looking at the Skoda but trying to compare prices . economics , comfort and spare parts,

Will have a look at the Superb and the Mondeo mk 4 when I get home,

Thanks a lot everyone,

Rammer

I bought my superb brand new, 170 CR Diesel, I also made that seemingly rare decision to pay extra for the L and K package.

On my shortlist I considered the Mondeo, however I decided that it doesn't match the superb for space, design, build feel, and spec, but still costs the same price!

So, if you're coming from a Mondeo, the Superb is the right one.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

FWIW, I've compared the on-board display mpg against brim-to-brim tests and established around 8% optimism, and my figures above were adjusted ones.

I think that the 140CR engine is relatively under represented here because forums like this attract, erm, "keen" motorists who tend to want the extra umph of the 170 engine.

Also, many here have up-graded from Audis or MBs or BWMs, so see even the high-spec more powerful versions of the Superb as great value, which they are. For me, coming from a Roomster and never ever having one of those allegedly aspirational brands, the 140 S was both the most powerful car I've ever owned and also the "S" trim was as good as any, except that the Roomster had full climate control and not just a/c. It was also the only one I could really afford as "nearly new". Still you get all the inherent qualities of a Superb at a Ford Focus kind of price.

As for the 1.6CR Greenline, as I tow a caravan, I wanted a bit more grunt, given that I'd had a 105bhp engine in the lighter Roomster, and the 1.9tdi in that has better low down torque than the 1.6CR, though it runs out of puff sooner.

So, the 140CR is a fine engine and is well matched to the Superb. It was easily enough for a car load of five adults and pulling a ton of caravan in the summer. After all, 170BHP is only just over 20% more, and ISTR the torque benefit is less than that.

Stuart

• Like 1

Chauf4, Interesting, did you post up on here what you did with the cover mounts ? That sounds like a quick simple fix

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I haven't posted a specific post about what I did but have mentioned it on another thread.

Basically when you pull of the engine cover and turn it over you will see the four connectors, one in each corner. They slide out so you can change them. The originals that were in mine were a sort of hard plastic and were kinda loose/worn allowing the cover to rattle.

So I spoke to my local Skoda dealership and they found the parts and it priced at around £10 but they didn't have any in so would have to order them and asked me to pay for them. As it was so little I said I wanted to pay cash and they insisted I came in to pay that cash before they would order them. Not liking their attitude I got the part number and spoke to a local VW dealer instead and they ordered them in without me having to pay in advance.

The supplied connectors were the same shape, size, but made of more rubberized material and has a very snug fit and any vibrations that may exist will be absorbed instead of turning into a rattle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I haven't posted a specific post about what I did but have mentioned it on another thread.

Basically when you pull of the engine cover and turn it over you will see the four connectors, one in each corner. They slide out so you can change them. The originals that were in mine were a sort of hard plastic and were kinda loose/worn allowing the cover to rattle.

So I spoke to my local Skoda dealership and they found the parts and it priced at around £10 but they didn't have any in so would have to order them and asked me to pay for them. As it was so little I said I wanted to pay cash and they insisted I came in to pay that cash before they would order them. Not liking their attitude I got the part number and spoke to a local VW dealer instead and they ordered them in without me having to pay in advance.

The supplied connectors were the same shape, size, but made of more rubberized material and has a very snug fit and any vibrations that may exist will be absorbed instead of turning into a rattle.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

do you still have the part number?