Which? survey reveals easiest cars to drive - Yeti beats superminis to the top spot

Arkaig

'Which' come out with strange results again.

Obviously it is good for the Yeti,

& they must mean all Yetis, even tho they comment on it being good for a 4x4.

When they get to the iQ which must be one of the small or medium cars that have the roomiest front space for a driver and passenger,

i understand the comment on restricted rear view, but on the width, thats a strange comment from drivers..

An iQ is 1680 mm wide compared to a Yeti which is 1790 mm and not exactly wide.

an iQ's turning circle is an amazing 8 meters compared to a Yeti at 10.5 meters.

(in old money, more than 8 foot more)

A Mini is 1690 mm wide with a turning circle of 10.7 meters

Good on the Yeti, but as i said strange comments IMO

george

Sorry, but can't 100% agree with the survey.

Driving position - Agree

Nice gearbox and light clutch - Agree

Paralel to kerb parking - I find it easy.

But beware ! As written on some panoramic mirrors "...objects are closer than they apear in the mirror..."

- So is the Yeti's body: Narrow from inside but wide from outside. I get the feeling that the car is narrower than it actualy is - because of the "sporty" section shape of the body.

Myself, I was used to a car of same exterior sizes as the Yeti - a MY 2002 Fiat Doblo - but inside sizes of the cabin were greater. Despite the bigger interior dimensions, because of the "van" shape of the Doblo - almost straight side panels - what I saw from inside was almost the same as what I got on the outside, or to say it better, the sides of the car were almost on same plane with the side windows. So, when reverse parking between two paralel cars - I still can feel slightly unconfident. But after 6 months - I'm getting used to it.

So true rafi.

Today I hit a bus in my Yeti. :sweat:

Well, as it turned out, my offside rear tyre did. :whew:

Luckily I was doing 1mph {the bus was stationary} with folded mirrors (too clever by half perhaps); but we still exchanged details.

When I looked downwards on the car afterwards, I was very surprised to note that the tyres are the widest part... wider than the alloys and wider than the wheel arches, and as you say MUCH wider than the rest of the car.

Phew!

So true freedie...and so alike:

Didn't want to mention in my earlier post, but last month, during a somewhat emergency maneuver, SWMBO hit the rear bumper of an i20 (viceversa and illegal stationating) with one arm of the "moon" alloy of the offside rear wheel. No "Snow Monster" was harmed in the incident - just an almost invisible friction sign on the alloy arm and some white paint on the tire (the i20 was metallic green). Both drivers exchanged details and SWMBO even refounded half of the i20 bumper minor paint repair, altough there was the question if the i20 wasn't slowly reversing ! Have to mention SWMBO drove the Doblo for years without slightest incident !

Edited by rafi_arch