Anyone use a ped to commute?

GeeVRSman

Im now at that stage in my life where im totally hacked off with having to get up stupid early to get to work thats 20 mins away.

Im looking at doing my CBT and getting a little Twist and go 125 Scooter/ped. I dont want a bigger bike, i have no interest in bigger bikes

i want to get to work and home quick

Help :)

gumtree 125's and buy a good cheap branded bike, get a cheap tatty one thats a good runner, and save some money for good protective clothing, for warmth aswell as impact

Edited by Lofty79

this thread! lol

Firstly thankyou all for your replies. secondly i would like to add this. Not having no interest in "proper bikes" does not make me stupid. It does not make me less or more likely to get knocked off. I have been driving since i can remember and i have experience on 2 wheels all be it, not legal experience. (we was all young once eh) The reason i have no interest in getting a fast bike is because i will end up hurting my self or someone else. im bad enough in a car so having 180mph between my legs is going to be messy eventually.

I want a Ped to get to work an back that is all. I dont want to look cool, i dont want gears (coz im lazy) i just want to get through the traffic and have more time in bed! lol A lid a protective clothing goes without saying, as does the constant awarness of idiotic drivers on the road. Im feeling a few comments in this thread a little patronizing just because its a moped thats wanted not a ktm1200!!

:love: :)

this thread! lol

Firstly thankyou all for your replies. secondly i would like to add this. Not having no interest in "proper bikes" does not make me stupid. It does not make me less or more likely to get knocked off. I have been driving since i can remember and i have experience on 2 wheels all be it, not legal experience. (we was all young once eh) The reason i have no interest in getting a fast bike is because i will end up hurting my self or someone else. im bad enough in a car so having 180mph between my legs is going to be messy eventually.

I want a Ped to get to work an back that is all. I dont want to look cool, i dont want gears (coz im lazy) i just want to get through the traffic and have more time in bed! lol A lid a protective clothing goes without saying, as does the constant awarness of idiotic drivers on the road. Im feeling a few comments in this thread a little patronizing just because its a moped thats wanted not a ktm1200!!

What about a heavily modified ZZR1400 its nice and frugal my old one was able to get about 18mpg in town :D it wouldn't meet the 180mph between legs bar as with limiter removed it was 200mph + that could dramatically cut your commute down. 11 miles in 4 minutes :giggle:

• Like 1

It's all well and good getting a 50cc ped.

But you will struggle if its out of town, modern 50cc 4 strokes can't be derestricted and top out at 30-35mph.

This is fine around town, but get into a 40 limit and above, they can't accelerate away from roundabouts etc,

Because most car drivers are impatient and won't wait for a ped to get upto speed.

They will want to overtake and will do it when they consider safe but it isnt safe for someone on a ped getting buffeted in the wind on a gutless bike, weaving all over the road.

Even 2 stroke 50ccs are sluggish accelerating but they will pull 50-60 derestricted. Better on the faster roads you may encounter.

Especially if you have to take a faster road because of a diversion in the road.

100cc plus is a must to be honest.

Speaking from experience, derestricting my old 50cc 2stroke, made it a lot safer. I don't know how the government can still make a dangerous ruling that 16 year olds must be limited to 30mph. For the above reasons.

Since riding many big bikes over the years, I would recommend it for commuting, just wrap up in the protective clothing, and get something with a bit of go, for those dangerous situations.

20 mins bike riding and 20 minutes getting changed at both ends remember. Lol

Im feeling a few comments in this thread a little patronizing just because its a moped thats wanted not a ktm1200!!

I think it's just concern. Being the best rider in the work won't protect you from SMIDSY

And the voice experience from those of us that have been on 2 wheels that falling off always hurts and more training makes this less likely.

• Like 1

50cc bikes slow off lights, are you kidding i used to be able to beat just about anything off lights on my honda 50cc when i was 16.

Saying that it did used to try and throw me over handle bars when it hit 32mph limiter,

I used to do 20 mile journey to work on bike then in car and it was no faster in car due to me sat in traffic in car

• Like 1

50cc bikes slow off lights, are you kidding i used to be able to beat just about anything off lights on my honda 50cc when i was 16.

Saying that it did used to try and throw me over handle bars when it hit 32mph limiter,

I used to do 20 mile journey to work on bike then in car and it was no faster in car due to me sat in traffic in car

I remember that, start to over take in town, accelerating well, then bang the wall at 35mph, and overtaker becomes overtakee

I have an italjet dragster 50cc which I totally love, it gets me to and from work and through the city really quickly. Don't write off a 50cc because they are supposed to be limited to 30mph so that 16 year olds can use them, mine is a 50cc de restricted, with a race exhaust, a pro variator and a kevlar belt. Off a set of lights in the traffic light grand prix, sports bikes don't even try to race you because by the time they have pumped you off the lights, they have to brake at the next set then you catch up then annialate them off the lights again. So they soon get ****ed off. I live about 13 miles away from work and It takes me 20-25 mins each way in all weathers, I even took part in a scooter run this summer and over the weekend I had travelled over 250 miles without a single hiccup. As for the MPG, I can do about 175 miles to £8 of super unleaded, so that's about 160 MPG at nearly full throttle all the time. If the uk climate was a wee bit better, everyone and their granny would have a scooter :))

i want a 125 ped... sod a 50!! lol

I bought a 50cc Honda moped for £300 years ago for work but a change of location meant that it was hidden at the back of the garage for years as I used one fo the cars for getting to and from work. 2 years ago my work location changed again and the 50cc was dragged back out of the garage, given a quick check over, new battery/fuel etc, sailed through it's MOT and was up and running again ready to do battle on the daily commute.

What I did realise quite quickly is that unless you are doing very short journeys in low speed limits, a 50cc is too small and too slow. Work is only just over 3 miles away but 2.5 of those are a 40mph road and you are very vulnerable (most traffic on 30mph roads are travelling faster than a mopeds top speed - new ones are now restricted to 28mph) so I did my CBT and treated myself to a 125cc twist & go scooter. All of my biker mates were telling me to get a geared bike but a scooter is ideal for my needs - practical, storage, weather protection (as such on a bike) and an easy relaxed ride. The CBT will cover a lot of points but I would always suggest additional input from an instructor and always ride defensively.

It can be miserable on a very wet or cold day but I have a reasonable selection of decent quality bike gear and if I'm honest, most of the time it makes the daily commute fun. It's saving us even more as we are now selling the second car as we don't ever use it anymore. And I would also second the comments about buying a well known make of bike.

Yo bud... I'll not be patronising promise.... I've given up bikes now and owned a number of Hondas (VFR and Fireblade amongst them) as well as a Beemer (1150R) and passed my advanced riding test. with the number of miles your doing if any of it is in above 30mph zones I'd go for something at least 250cc and japanese. anything less will leave you very vunerable amongst motorists who don't give a monkeys about bikes who will see you (if your lucky) as an inconvienience. something along the bergman ilk would do you fine- they're twist and go with decent weather protection and will keep up with trafic no probs. If you think riding on a ped is fun, it isn't especially when lorries pass you within inches! They are for the most part riden by poor sods who have no other choice! another thing is I'd defnitely recommend some extra training- you've already aid you'll get some decent kit, which again is a must.Have a crash in a car and you'll be unlucky to get seriosly hurt. have one on a bike and you'll be lucky to live. :whew: good luck Ade

I actually looked at doing the same as you, however after looking into it. you won't be much better off

• Insurance
  • Mot
  • CBT
  • Tax
  • Bike
  • Biking Gear
  • Fuel

An average bike tank does about 100 miles!

he wants to save TIME not money

I actually looked at doing the same as you, however after looking into it. you won't be much better off

• Insurance
  • Mot
  • CBT
  • Tax
  • Bike
  • Biking Gear
  • Fuel

An average bike tank does about 100 miles!

A lot of of that stuff is one off costs and the others cost cheap. Tax? Less than £25 a year iirc. The bike might only do 100 miles on a tank but it'll cost £15 to fill up. Obviously it depends on your car but there is plenty of scope to save money.