Economy

Crista

That looks like what I am getting Mike.

Driving sensibly I see mid 60s, so figure 60mpg in real terms.

Driven more enthusiastically or in more traffic I get high 50s, figure about 55mpg.

That's two months old with 2,300 miles on the clock. May loosen up a little bit more, but not sure.

I am keeping an eye on the Citigo as a possible replacement to the Octavia if I need to free up some money buying a house. Seems like a wee gem already. Would be much easier to clean too being smaller.

Having owned couple of different cars over the years, I get the feeling that almost all car manufacturers or their car computers lie as far as the fuel consumption goes. Toyota Aygo would go up to max 45mpg during mostly city driving. I suppose your cars would be doing similar figures.

The problem with comparing to the manufacturer tests is that weather and traffic conditions can vary hugely. The official test is done under controlled conditions, so the result can be directly compared with other cars.

I could repeat the journey that I posted and get only 60mpg, then again and get 68mpg, without seeming to drive any different. Wind in particular can make a massive difference, as can traffic levels in town driving.

Someone living in a very flay area may routinely achieve 68mpg, another living in a very hilly area won't get near to it.

That's pretty much why I only look at the combined figures to see what should be achieveable on a decent run.

Honest John (Saturday Telegraph) runs a very interesting website section called the 'Real Life Fuel Economy Register'. Owners might find these figures useful and might want to contribute to the databases, which in turn will improve the figures accuracies:

Citigo 83% accuracy to claimed manufacturers figures from 9 contributions:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda/citigo-2012

Up! 92% accuracy from 62 contributions:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volkswagen/up!-2012

• Like 1

The problem with comparing to the manufacturer tests is that weather and traffic conditions can vary hugely. The official test is done under controlled conditions, so the result can be directly compared with other cars.

Although I suspect some manufacturers specifically map their engines to perform well in these tests rather than "real life" driving conditions. They had some eco-Kia on 5th gear the other week, claiming around 80MPG but on the show they were getting 30-40MPG!

Tested, with PID, consumption on a 60 mile, mostly Motorway trip leg yesterday. Speed on Motorway was on or close to the limit of 74mph and not dropping below about 60mph. Small amount of City driving and Secondary roads. Return 52.31mpg. Car has done 700 odd miles. Long term mileage over a distance of 200 miles of mainly a mile into town, a pickup and back again....46.31 mpg according to pid.

This 120 mile return trip is the longest run we have done since getting the car, and both myself and my wife were entirely happy with the performance and ride quality. No strange noises, only wish I would have would be for a little less wind noise at the higher speed. Not a big issue though. Really sure footed and planted on the road, in fact better than our former Nissan Tiida 1.6, which was susceptible to wind, for example, the nose air displacement of trucks when overtaking them. Not a bother to the Citigo. I also found that the Citigo didn't require to be constantly direction corrected like the Nissan. No problem on Motorway hills staying in 5th gear, or overtaking traffic traveling at near the 74mph limit in 5th. It was a cold day, outside temp about 3degC, (which together with the low mileage to date may have affected mpg). Reduced warm air at fan position 1 kept us warm. Both of us were very comfortable in every way and as a result the journey appeared short, and we arrived fresh and ache free. We have decided to call the car "Baby" as I keep saying 'my little baby" :giggle:

• Like 1

the mpg will improve with miles... I took ash's citygo to get its winter tyres on today, then to the supermarket.... and I "tested" the tyres, made sure of no wobble at high speed, a hard brake, and some hard cornering....about the opposite of how I'd drive to get economy....

and still got 52 mpg! :o hers is on 2800 miles now :)

and yes, the handling constantly suprises me for a citycar... its moved the goalposts forward if you ask me! :)

• 1 month later...

I don't know how a lot of people are getting amazing MPG, I get about 75-80 miles for a tenner on average working out about 52mpg and this is only on 30-40mph roads If I got over 55 on the motorway i'm getting high 40's I do a lot of motorway driving so moving from my Fabia 1.9TDI vRS to this wasn't a great choice on that part but on normal roads it's a lot better.

I don't know how a lot of people are getting amazing MPG, I get about 75-80 miles for a tenner on average working out about 52mpg and this is only on 30-40mph roads If I got over 55 on the motorway i'm getting high 40's I do a lot of motorway driving so moving from my Fabia 1.9TDI vRS to this wasn't a great choice on that part but on normal roads it's a lot better.

Sounds about what I get. Incidently the mpg drops if you cane it on the motorways. Keep to around 60-65mph and it returns somewhere what you would expect 60's maybe. Bit boring though keeping to those speeds on the motorway, it does go well though and easily keeps up with the rest.

Mick

3000 miles up now and when I drop my Mrs off to work on a Sat (30 mile commute) on A/B roads I can crack 70 mpg with careful driving. When i drive to my own work I can still crack 50 mpg in town and its only a 3 mile commute. Nothing else I have had comes close to this including diesels. Long term average currently sitting at 59.