The manual states:

Press the reset button with the ignition switched off and and hold it down. Switch the ignition on, release the reset button and and turn the reset button to the right. All counters will be reset to 0

• Like 1

The manual states:

Press the reset button with the ignition switched off and and hold it down. Switch the ignition on, release the reset button and and turn the reset button to the right. All counters will be reset to 0

I tried that it diddnt work. Just held until it read ---- about 10 seconds or so.

I'm starting to wonder if I have something different? I have a spanner on the dash, no OIL or INSP, when the ignition is turned on the car beeps at me. Wonder if this is different and how I reset it?

Reading the manual, I think the spanner appears before the indication of which service is due - so in a few days time you might find out which service it is. The mileage and time in days to the next service should appear in the display. I've always found this aspect rather temperamental though.

• 2 years later...

Nah it's literally just 'OIL' which is why i'm really confused!

Nothing confusing. P15 of my Owner manual says there is a service display which can say OIL, which means "CHANGE OIL".

wonderful THINGS owner's MANUALS. if FOLKS TAKE THE TIME TO READ THEM.

Edited by VWD

• 1 year later...

I've recently had similar problem:  oil changed at Christmas and I've covered less than 3K since then. 'Oil' on dashboard display appeared (as in gfunk's pic) and I checked the level - al ok so I assumed it was just a servicing schedule reminder that needed to be reset.  However, today whilst driving home from work, things took a much worse turn.  Driving normally and suddenly the engine lost most of its power and felt like it was about to stall but didn't.  I managed to limp it home but wonder if today's development is related to the 'oil' dash message and the car's put itself into safe mode as happened to me a few years ago.  Any suggestions?  How can I investigate any engine error codes?  Thanks.

Any suggestions?  How can I investigate any engine error codes?  Thanks.

I doubt your two issues are related.

You can buy basic cheap code readers such as the U281 which will read fault codes and turn out warning lights. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U281-VW-Audi-Skoda-Seat-VAG-CAN-BUS-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-/320973776457?hash=item4abb872649:g:En4AAOxyF0pTfST~

Alternatively there is a program called VCDS which can be used with a laptop and appropriate cable, which is much more comprehensive.

In either case, the diagnostic port is behind the little cubby box lid on the driver's side. Pull the lid right down past its stop to access.

OBD_Port.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2

Thanks TMB - the 'OIL' signal appearing and the loss of power I described were indeed unrelated.  The AA came out, plugged in the diagnostic tool and lo and behold it was a faulty ignition coil, which he replaced in 5 mins.  I'm now 50 quid lighter (price they charge for the part) but the engine is running smoothly again!

Thanks TMB - the 'OIL' signal appearing and the loss of power I described were indeed unrelated.  The AA came out, plugged in the diagnostic tool and lo and behold it was a faulty ignition coil, which he replaced in 5 mins.  I'm now 50 quid lighter (price they charge for the part) but the engine is running smoothly again!

Glad it's sorted :) Cars are real money pits aren't they?  :D 

Did AA man check the spark plugs at the time? I think that unless you have a record of them having been changed in the last year or two, it would be wise to inspect them, starting with the one under the replaced ignition coil. I'm sure ignition coils can fail unprovoked, but  they're more likely to fail if the spark plug gap has become oversize through wear/usage. See here: "But the number one killer of ignition coils is voltage overload caused by bad spark plugs or plug wires." (You don't have ignition leads so that leaves the plugs).

Edited by Wino