vRS Sidelights are so embarrassing IMO.

I previously replaced a broken vRS sidelight
& installed sidelight bulbs at that time.
(They were switched off as DRL's)

I broke another one so had to get a new one and left the sidelight as Skoda fitted, but still with them switched off as DRL's.

It is embarrassing IMO driving in town at night with people flashing thinking you are a car d1ck with Driving or fog lights
on.
I have no idea what Skoda was thinking of doubling up DRL's that look blue/white as sidelights.
*But did not fit 'Fog Light as standard,
or give the choice of fog lights as an option*

Untill they get changed again for proper bulbs they are half masked over to see if i get flashed less often.
It might save on broken light lenses as well.

*Rant alert*,
What an amount of cars with Cornering fog lights i see arriving at circles & junctions, you see one light on and then the other, broad daylight. right or left light in turn alerting you to them & it probably being a VW, Skoda.
Funnily this at least gives you an idea of the direction they intend going,
because they seem to be the kind of driver that does not use their indicators, but have these things switched on.

george

• Like 1

Cornering lights are one of the most pointless devices on a car.

In town, maybe, but if you live in the country with dark lanes with no street lights, they are great.

• Like 2

Am I missing something? Are you saying that if you switch off your DRLs in the the VRS, then they also double as your side lights?

Hasn't there been a side lights are pointless discussion elsewhere before? Yes, it may be legal to drive in urban areas with only sidelights on after dark, because of street lights, but why bother? I never use side lights, as they don't light anything and barely offer any increased visibility - it's headlights or nothing (although now in the Monte, I have the DRLs).

No-one has flashed me yet running with the DRLs, which at night, against the door of my garage, look almost as birght as my headlights, but lower:

a) Is everyone now so used to DRLs that they don't flash poeple for driving with front fogs? (I used to get flashed all the time when my Sierra's front fogs wouldn't switch off)

B) Are the DRLs not as bright as they seem beyond 10ft or so? (range from car to garage)

c) Are my Monte headlights so bad that I don't notice the difference...?

Your DRL's are a different shade from the stark bright white on a vRS.

THe DRL's can be disabled OK on the vRS

but,

The same lights at lower power are the Sidelights that would come on as sidelights or with your dipped beam & full beam.

Down where Fog or driving lights would normally be.

(a single one can be left on with a rear side light as parking lights, click down the indicator when parking the car at night)

So you want to drive with dipped beam in poor light or at night the half power still odd looking low down blue-white side lights are showing.

They are oddly bright & as much as people are used to stupid bright Merc, Audi, BMW DRL's, a daft skoda with these things on get you loads of flashes.

That or more people know me, than i know them.

george

This is standard Dipped beam in daylight & sidelight,

& Full beam & sidelight.

Cornering lights give an idea of the direction the car is going?

they are linked to the speedo and steering wheel so come on during the turn not when the driver decides to

So the light comes on because the car is turning and because its turning you can see what direction it's going in !

As said they are very useful in area without street lights

Don't understand the issue with the sidelights , I've not been flashed as yet

• Like 1

Thats all good, like i said,

you see how many are turning but think there is no need to indicate they are actually doing a turn or deviation..

Rich, re. vRS sidelights.

people are maybe more tolerant down your way,

here if they think you are a d1ck with un-needed lights on, they let you know,

they blind you and it becomes a 'who has the most candle power issue'..

well sometimes.

george

nobody ever flashes me up here (Cumbria) for having DRL's (sidelights when dipped beam on) they understand what they are...

why would you let other peoples ignorance bother you? it doesn't bother me that so many people are uneducated... cant believe you are taping up your DRL's George...

• Like 1

Reducing the brightness of the sidelights as a trial to see if i get flashed less at night.

Never ever had them on as DRL's ,

& had the Sidelights running with bulbs fitted before and never flashed.

Seen a few other vRS's this week, and as i said 'embarrassing' but that is just my opinion.

george

I don't get the point of the topic. Actually more than half of the cars I see on the road these days are equiped with LED drls (similar to BMW/Audi type) and they are all on, at any given time of the day. Most french cars have them as standard, and an increasing number of german ones. I have never been flashed due to my DRLs being on (which they are all the time as from stock).

Maybe it's just people recognising you from your forum presence? Just kidding!

Edited by newbie69

I have no DRL's on. it is not about day time/day light time.

It is in the dark time, night time.in town..

It is rush hour in town 4.30- 5 pm and onwards now that the clocks have changed.,

sidelights that are down low and look to the stupid like Driving lights or DRL's that never went out when the headlights went on.

I am of a different generation that see boy racers driving with Fog lights or Driving lights on & thinks d1ck.

(i know what DRL's look like,

so do many other people, they do not see many Fabia vRS here, not many other car has sidelights near that position anymore on modern cars other than Mini's and they are proper sidelights.)

I see another vRS and think D1ck & i am driving with sidelights that looks exactly like them, so i think, i also look a d!ck.

Just my temporary solution to the problem thats only in my head.

Another hour or so and i can go see if i get flashed less than last night.

george

Side lights.

The DRL's during the day, become sidelights when the headlights get switched on.

(I have the DRL's disabled for day time running. ie. not on)

When the sidelights come on, they are Less bright than DRL's but still the same 2 lights low down in the position that normally would be where Fog/Driving lights would be.

*Side lights are not 'Parking Lights', when you park, one sidelight goes out & the one at the roadside stays on.

ie A 'Parking Light'. THe car is stationery and the engine is off, probably unoccupied.

One sidelight to the front, & one to the rear (plus one number plate light stays on on a Fabia).

Your battery would be flat by morning if you parked all night with this on

https://www.gov.uk/w...ight-248-to-252

(see number 251)

https://www.gov.uk/g...ents-113-to-116

george

Absolute pointless thread IMO.

Citroen ds3, VW Scirocco & Golf, Seat, Renault etc etc etc plenty more cars on the market also have daytime runners which double up as sidelights (when darkness falls) low down either side of the bumper. BMW Mini's have been out for a fair few years now with their sidelights located in the bumper, out of the headlamp unit and also have fog lights, same with Nissan's Juke etc, its the way manufacturers position there lighting on vehicles..don't like it, simply unplug them or buy something else!

• Like 2

Unplug my sidelights?

As i said,before i had sidelight bulbs fitted previously..

Now i have half taped the standard ones to see what like. Job done untill the lights are changed.

'Buy something else' it will be other light fittings, so as you suggest,

or did you mean get another type of car?

As to the ones you are mentioning.

None of them are round lights.

I see loads of them, clearly you see they are DRL's that are now Sidelights.

The Mini sidelights are 'half' rounds/horizontal line. and a side light with normal sidelight look and power.

george

Just drifted forums here from the mk1 side! The mk2 vRS does not have fog lights in the bumper and instead they are the DRL's? Then you can disable the auto DRL function but when the sidelights are turned on the DRL's light up again and stay on even with main beam headlights during low light/darkness hours? Either way they look the business on the mk2 and a lot of other makes now use similar set ups, by far the worse has to be the 2012 Toyota Aygo DRL's - they just look SO wrong! :p

You see the looking the business is an opinion that you and others have and are welcome to.

My Post title was 'Embarrassing IMO',

& that is because, in the people that flash because they dislike them & in mine, they are p15h.

There are loads of smart cars around that also get flashed because they look like there lights are mis-set.

Not many Fabias about, loads of Octavia vRS with nice looking lights.

I will always just keep seeing a vRS with DRL/Sidelights & think that looks p15h

Still like driving one.

Now i never think a Monte Carlo looks wrong,

& one particular members one & the DRL's he has fitted looks just fine IMO.

george

apmaman,

Sorry the last ones was done by the Auto Spark & he will do these.

Electricity is all magic to me.

Thats why they are Masked other till they get done.

Matt,

yes the sidelight is dimmer than as DRL's that is the way they have to be by law.

Too bright still in my opinion & the total wrong colour compared to the headlights.

Its nice to know others here do not dislike them.

I do not think they look like fogs when on, they look like some cr4p spot/driving lights to me.

Almost as bad as blue LED washer nozzles.

george

The dimmed DRLs as sidelights look great imo. If you don't like the colour mismatch with the headlights its easy enough to swap the headlight bulbs for ones which give off a whiter light. Only ever had 2 or 3 muppets who obviously have no clue about cars flashing me, made me laugh rather than feel embarrassed!

I'm with George on this one. For me it isn't the fact that they're DRLs it's just that they look too Halfords for my liking. I leave them on so that when my other half uses the car they're on and it might just be the difference between someone pulling out on her or not.

I like the DRL's on the vRS, sets it apart from the more mundane models for sure. Skoda could have been a little more clever with how they operate though.

Side lights should have been normal sidelights in the headlamp cluster and they should have the DRL's operating as cornering/fog lights with the dipped beam enabled. I'm also surprised Skoda given that DRL's are to become a legal requirement on all cars in the EU that they've provided a switch to turn them on or off. My switch is a bit dodgy so if i hit too harder a bump they have a tendancy to turn themselves off which isnt useful; done it a few times now.

I did however have my first bit of DRL rage yesterday, dark and raining, person I was following kept turning on their rear fog light but its the first time its happened in 18 months!

Never been flashed for the sidelights or DRL's.

Just don't get me started on the whole front fog light thing :@

Had a few arguments with SUK about the fact the vRS doesn't have them when they are quoted both in the brochure and on the website as have front fog lights as standard, surely this could be seen as a case of false advertising ! :wonder: