The Turbo failure thread - how many miles till booom!

Turbo Failure  

117 members have voted

1. 1. At what milage did your turbo fail?

• - 30,000 - 40,000
    • 40,000 - 50,000
    • 50,000 - 60,000
    • 60,000 - 70,000
    • 70,000 - 80,000
    • 80,000 - 90,000
    • 90,000 - 100,000
    • 100,00 - 110,000
    • 110,000 - 120,000 or above
    • Still going strong and never failed!

Seen plently of threads about turbo failure, it's a well known problem with all turbo cars. Also read plenty about symptoms of failure of the turbo.

So if you could fill in the poll please and comment with the mileage of the car when the turbo failed and maybe say any symptoms you had just before it failed, eg, smokey, police siren noise, less power than usual, grinding noises.

Thanks.

Edited by hutchysrs50
  • Like 3

A day never goes by without a turbo failure thread and it's putting me off turbo cars due to the reliability issue and returning back to a NA petrol.

Hower my turbo car has done 125k and runs perfectly ( touch wood) . I remember reading that a turbo should last the life of an engine but this must be wrong.

• Like 1

A day never goes by without a turbo failure thread and it's putting me off turbo cars due to the reliability issue and returning back to a NA petrol.

Hower my turbo car has done 125k and runs perfectly ( touch wood) . I remember reading that a turbo should last the life of an engine but this must be wrong.

I agree, it puts me off turbo car's also, part of the reason im making this thread is to prove they pretty much all do over 100,000 miles no problem. Buying a turbo car with over 100,000 i'd expect to have to replace the turbo soon anyway.

Thanks for the post and dont forget to vote.

Just over 70k i think :S , no signs of anything wrong just let go. I think alot of people get paranoid to easy about these things and take notice of the bad stuff not the good things. I have seen about 6 or 7 turbo failure posts this year and considering there are about 7k fabia vrs in the uk i say its pretty good going.

Just shy of 127K miles, and still going. Do around 1k a week, not much mechanical sympathy, I boot it alot from cold. But I havent had problems yet (touch wood)

**EDIT**

Done some serious miles recently, now up to 130k miles. Still no sympathy, even this morning at -1

Edited by Mike18Clark
  • Like 3

104k and it just went bang tonight in a nice big puff of smoke. Loss of power before it went boom, falsely thought it to be a vacuum pipe.

Time to source some cheap parts any pointers? I run a standard setup with no intention of modifying unless it proves to be cheaper, unlikely I know. Apologies if hijacking

Mine went at around 90k. No signs just went pop at a junction.

I believe the build quality of the original turbo wasnt great hence the varying mileages.

Its fair to say **** happens and if you like the car as much as i like my vrs the price to pay on a better quality turbo is worth it.

@eric87

Kkk is the off the shelf oem one.

Garrett from what i was told is pretty much same design just slightly stronger components and better quality. And from memory they are price the same, but i believe the garrett can be made hybrid easier. I know some people have kkk hybrid but when i was phoning round noone wanted to do it to my old one.

I have had many turbo diesel cars and never had turbo problems, they were;

Peugeot 405 GRDturbo, 165,000 miles

Peugeot 406 Executive TD 225,000 miles

Peugeot 306 HDi 135,000 miles

VW Passat 100PD 124,000 miles

Mitsubishis Grandis 130,000 miles- this car did need a clutch, alternator, starter motor and when it went was using 1 litre of oil a week and water every day!

Audi A4 B8 2.0 Tdi CR 130,000 miles

I now have the Yeti and it has done 58,000 miles in 16 months and no issues.

All the above had full dealer service history

So I am unsure that there is a set life span for a turbo charger, just keep your foot up when cold and don't rev it up when turning off the key! and use good oil

Some other low mileage turbo cars I have had, Defender 90, Pajero 2800, 306 with a boot and thats about it.

Edited by James I