Polar FIS unit

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using these units - looks pretty trick and better than fitting addtional gauges.

http://www.auto-polar.com/index-load-Polar_Fis_adv.htm

There are some good videos on youtube showing the various functions that it can show. Seems pretty comprehensive!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

under the dash. its not waterproof

put it somewhere you can either plug in a USB (for upgrades) or to remove so you can take it to your PC to perform upgrades.

I saw your stage 2 Bluefin post, ill be doing that shortly. gonna be happy about it :) 

think I might go down this route as I was going to fit a boost gauge, this might be neater. hows the VRS going Muckipup

Going great, mate! Just treated myself to a set of black Oz Allegerita's a few weeks back so I'm still spending money that I shouldn't! :love:

I'll need to give you a shout Muckipup i will be down at my Uncles in Southsea in a few months wouldnt mind a wee gander at your "weapon" in a non sexual way of course lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll need to give you a shout Muckipup i will be down at my Uncles in Southsea in a few months wouldnt mind a wee gander at your "weapon" in a non sexual way of course lol.

No problem at all, mate :thumbup:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What you mean by "problem with coding"?

I've installed Polar FIS Advanced and I don't see any menu. Wiring checked, coded according the manual.

There is no official install guide and I wonder what went wrong.

• 10 months later...

Hi all.

I want to ask someone who's got these installed if the buttons in steering wheel can be mapped to skip track for instance.In my case my car is 06 reg.octavia and I have retrofit maxidot pre fl,rns510 and MFSW from superb 2 fl.What is the problem is that old maxidot cluster use DDP protocol and steering wheel uses bap.If I want my steering wheel buttons to be working I have to use bap protocol for rns510 but then it won't show in maxidot but if I don't use bap then the buttons won'don't work on SW.I thought that if I use non bap protocol and map the buttons on steering wheel with polar fis that would be great plus all the bonuses which comes with it.Thanks

I had the reverse a while ago: I asked about using my DDP steering wheel (the original) with a BAP headunit (RNS315) and got told, by Polar, that there is no translation either way between protocols for this. (I ended up upgrading to Columbus instead.)

Personally I'd get a DDP steering wheel/controller. If I recall correctly, Eddie-NL has done some funky things with old cars and new clusters, but if you've already done a steering wheel, it'll be cheaper and quicker.

There is an auto polar BT box which converts the ddp signal to bap to allow use of newer BT modules with older maxidot. I have one and it also allows the older steering wheel to communicate with the BT. I wonder if the firmware can be hacked to cater for your situation. Might be worth asking auto polar - they were pretty helpful with me.

• 2 years later...

Historic thread resurrection time!!!....just to give an update after 5 years of PolarFIS:

The car was a daily commuter for most of this time but the data given by the unit was both useful and gave reassurance that all was well with the engine - detailed temperature readings, timing pull, misfire counter, boost etc. It was an absolute pig to install given the position of the gateway in the Mk2 FL Octavia given my chubby hands but worth it in the end.

The problem came with a change of job and the car becoming a weekend car thus being on the driveway for the full week. The occasional battery low bong that used to greet me occasionally (but never seemed to affect starting) became a full on flat battery week after week despite have a brand new high capacity battery. I can only think that it was the PolarFIS keeping the gateway open and draining the battery.  I uninstalled it yesterday and put the battery on charge for 24 hours so we will see if my theory is right in a weeks time.

Interestingly the unit was quite hot when I removed it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Wendigo,

A bit of a delay in replying so apologies for that! It is difficult for me to know if it was my FIS unit having a problem. As mentioned, I did notice a lot of heat energy from it when I uninstalled it and that energy had to be paid for with battery power.

With the unit removed from the car, I still have some battery drain (with the car still being very dormant these days) but nothing like before and I have never found the battery totally drained after a week. The FIS definitely had a big contribution to the drain at the very least.

I would consider fitting the new PF04 FIS as I liked the unit and notice Polar's claimed reduction in battery consumption with the new unit....although that in itself almost reads like an admission that battery drain was a problem with the older one. Problem is, I think I will have to sell the car as I just don't get the use from it any more :sadsmile:

• 3 years later...

Another biblical ressurection of the thread...

I saw that Polar FIS are doing a trade-in of the older model for the newer PF04/PF05 models for a good discount. My older model has been sitting in a box so will take them up on the offer as I do miss the information (just not the battery drain!!)