Which yeti ?

stevetdci

Vrs / 1.8tsi Octavia are also on the list, it's just having the tiguan on demo has made me like the higher seating position of the tiguan/yeti. I want to do a lot more biking coupled with the crap roads and speed bumps make the yeti a better choice.

I might try and get a demo... I've been keeping my eye on a elegance tsi the only downside is its red, I like red but my current cupra is red ... And I really like they grey :)

I've come from a Leon Fr Tfsi (so only 200Bhp with Koni Fsds and Eibachs together with AP racing brakes on custom discs/alloy bells) to a 140 Elegance 4x4. I had to learn to ride the torque rather than wring its neck-my journey times are comparable but the entirely better build quality and vastly greater comfort have transformed my driving.

• Like 1

Comfort is a big advantage of the Yeti's seats and suspension setup compared to the Octavia VRS I previously owned. I can quite happily step out of the cabin after doing 13hrs driving and be pain and ache free. Then again, I didnt rate the VRS seats for long distance road trips - it was as though the support was in the wrong places, for me at least but the suspension was fairly forgiving given the type of market it was aimed at! Again, if you are planning to go for proper power and torque increases then the haldex setup offers real advantages over the fwd VRS setup. :)

Regarding remaps, having come down from a 270 bhp Abbot Racing remap on a Saab 9000 to 105 on the Yeti 1.2 tsi I was pleasantly surprised at how lively the Yeti felt for so little power. However every little helps so I went for a remap from Celtic Tuning (http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/) This cost me £360 and a big advantage is that they come to you at home or work. I,m very pleased with the result and still get 40 mpg overall. The increase is 105 -125bhp and 129 - 160 lb ft torque.

Personally if you're going with petrol I'd go for a 1.4 tsi, (not available when I got mine) a good compromise between power and economy. Celtic quote 122 - 142 bhp and 148 - 228 torque!

• Like 2

Regarding remaps, having come down from a 270 bhp Abbot Racing remap on a Saab 9000 to 105 on the Yeti 1.2 tsi I was pleasantly surprised at how lively the Yeti felt for so little power. However every little helps so I went for a remap from Celtic Tuning (http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/) This cost me £360 and a big advantage is that they come to you at home or work. I,m very pleased with the result and still get 40 mpg overall. The increase is 105 -125bhp and 129 - 160 lb ft torque.

Personally if you're going with petrol I'd go for a 1.4 tsi, (not available when I got mine) a good compromise between power and economy. Celtic quote 122 - 142 bhp and 148 - 228 torque!

So they, the re-mappers, have managed to unlock the 1.2 & 1.4tsi's now. That's good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Whatever I end up with will get remapped. I'm not bothered about dsg. There doesn't seem to be many that offer a remap for the 1.2 though. The only thing I'd be concerned about with the 1.2 is it being underpowered. Now I know most people say that but going from a 250bhp cupra I am going to notice a drop.

Wow. Now personally I'd have worries with pushing the 1.4tsi to almost 230lb/ft torque, that's excessive IMO. I'd also expect mot '122's' to be outputting nearer the mapped figure as standard as most dyno very nicely in standard form. :-)

Whatever I end up with will get remapped. I'm not bothered about dsg. There doesn't seem to be many that offer a remap for the 1.2 though. The only thing I'd be concerned about with the 1.2 is it being underpowered. Now I know most people say that but going from a 250bhp cupra I am going to notice a drop.

Being underpowered was my bigest fear, too. I have 1.2 tsi and I think it's ok for me and my needs. Means, I live in capital, clean roads, no need for 4x4. Few times a year going off road, but there is one 4x4 in my family. Now about power, first 2000 miles you may notice in some more extreme climbing it could use some extra power, but as an engine "elaborates" it seams like it gets more power and needs less petrol. (hope you understand my Croatian English). Lets say it this way, my yeti takes 2 persons, 2 bikes and all sort of things a lady passenger of yeti can think of. Can't see an inch of empty space. And off we go down the coast. Only with lots of stuff and air conditioner on, petrol consumption is rising.

I don't know about stronger yeti versions, since I never had one, but I can say about 1.2. This is not a sport car and do not expect to drive a racer on city roads. It takes some starting time after each traffic light stop.

But as numbers show, 1.8 is more than 1.2! If you need more than I just said, than take some more powered engine and pay more for that one. But, stronger engine means more money to buy a car, more expensive car insurance (at least in Croatia) and, off course, more money for petrol.

4x4 is a nice thing to have, but only you may know do you need it. That depends of many different conditions: is road clean or you have to drive in deep snow and mud. Do you need this car in city or you have to go all the way up to nowhere land, etc.

Petrol or diesel depends on your milage. I can say in km, (measure unit overhere), I make about 15000 km per year and for that I don't need diesel. I would have to pay much more of a price for diesel car than I can save by driving on diesel.

• Like 2

Your croatian English is better than my English Croatian ;) having a tiguan diesel for the past few days has made me even more certain I don't want another. So if I go for a yeti then it will be the petrol and most likely the 1.4 or 1.8. I wonder if its possible to get 200bhp out of the 1.4 ? :)

• Like 1

I'd be surprised, they only just manage that out of the twin charged Fabia VRS 1.4 engine which has 180 stock. Unless you start to tweak other things... but it's outside the sensible envelope... ?)

I don't think 200 would be easy, it might need a few things, I doubt the turbo would be big enough... If they go to 140/10 with a remap I guess a few other tweeks might get it close to 190/200 .... assuming the bottom end is strong enough. But just scouting on autotrader and there is a nice b8 a4 2.0 Quattro for the same price as a 1.4 yeti .... There is only 12 months and 12,000 miles between them....

Posted Today, 19:59

snapback.pngrod987, on 20 November 2012 - 15:14, said:

Yeti_Man replied:-

Wow. Now personally I'd have worries with pushing the 1.4tsi to almost 230lb/ft torque, that's excessive IMO. I'd also expect mot '122's' to be outputting nearer the mapped figure as standard as most dyno very nicely in standard form. :-)

Yes, thinking about it, 230 is unrealistic - maybe a misprint? Will contact Celtic Tuning and check.

Edited by rod987
  • Like 1

I dont have much to add except to say I have a 1.8TSi and I love it - it's nearly a hot hatchback and great fun to drive. My final choice was Yeti v Tiguan v Golf GTI. Decision was Yeti and I have no regrets. I do low miles hence not too worried about mpg, which is just as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding remaps, having come down from a 270 bhp Abbot Racing remap on a Saab 9000 to 105 on the Yeti 1.2 tsi I was pleasantly surprised at how lively the Yeti felt for so little power. However every little helps so I went for a remap from Celtic Tuning (http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/)

This cost me £360 and a big advantage is that they come to you at home or work. I,m very pleased with the result and still get 40 mpg overall. The increase is 105 -125bhp and 129 - 160 lb ft torque.

Just wandered about this remaping thing (don't know a thing about it), how about it's impact on the turbine? Could this damage an engine?

And what about Skoda warranty?

Thanks.

Regards, Jazz.

Edited by Jazz Moli