(n)ice (not So Dial-up Friendly)

Thought it would be nice to start a thread in which I detail the things I've been doing so far. And as pictures speak louder than words I've also included some for your perusal pleasure :D.

This is very much a work still in progress and I will add to this thread when I have done some more.

Lets start with the power cable.

The fuse holder in place with a pice of metal screwed on the chassis

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20048&g2_serialNumber=2

The location of the fuse holder

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20049&g2_serialNumber=2

Thanks to Andre (funkyjutel) we used the (now known and proved) route of putting the cable inside the cable compartment and route it underneath the scuttle panel, past the pollen-filter and through a grommet into the space behind the glove-compartment inside the car. The trick is that you lift up the scuttle panel as high as you can, then remove the pollen filter (2 clips at the front) after which you'll be able to see a black rubber grommet on the left side behind the pollen-filter holder. We used a small wooden rod (the kind you use to keep a plant standing up) to push the grommet open and then we could just feed the cable through it.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20051&g2_serialNumber=2

As you can see, the power cable goes over the pollen-filter (just visible).

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20050&g2_serialNumber=2

At the other end, the cable will appear behind the aircon unit and will cost you a bit of skin to get behind it.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20041&g2_serialNumber=2

Once inside we routed the cable along the centre console,

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20042&g2_serialNumber=2

past the handbrake

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20043&g2_serialNumber=2

and under the carpets into the boot.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=20044&g2_serialNumber=2

More and larger pictures can be found here

Parts used:

- 5m Shark Car Battery Power Cable 4AWG/70A (£2.49 a meter), Maplins part nr BZ91Y

- Shark Water-Resistant Fuse Holder (£2.99), Maplins part nr DR84F

- Shark Fused Distribution Block 3 to 2 (£4.99), Maplins part nr CN99H

- Shark Battery Terminal Lug 4AWG (£1.99), Maplins part nr DN09K

- Shark Terminal Lug Cover (£0.99), Maplins part nr MX04E

All in the name of science! ;)

It is all part of the Grandeur Plan de Entertainment, which consists of an mStation in the boot, and at a later stage a dvd player as well. And who knows, I might even go for a proper nts nts install later as well :D

Q.

Quinten,

Looking good. Glad you found the right hole to push it in...ooh err matron!

I expect that info will prove very useful for our Briskodan chums. We had fun with that grommet I can tell you!!

Looking forward to the next pics.

At this rate with all the various ICE posts, technical etc we should between us be able to write a Haynes style manual. They can't bothered. Any volunteers??

:drive1:

Thats one of the main reasons why I write it down. It helped me immensely that you went through the troubles first, so hopefully others don't have to try so hard as you (and in some extent I) had to do :D

• 1 year later...

Just be careful you dont end up with a wet footwell mate :( Its a common thing on the leon when the splash guard doesnt get fitted over the pollen filter...

I couldnt fit my 0awg cable into the grommet behind the filter anyhow!:D hehe

I used the guide over on icecavern.com there is a huge grommet there to poke the cabel through!:D I would have thought it would be available on the octy too:)

Dont have any pics of mine but I nabbed these from icecavern...

Area cable goes through

post-18-1071674454.jpg

Location of nipple to use

post-18-1071693584.jpg

post-18-1071693919.jpg

Fat Black power cable and smaller red cable for headunit feed ;)

post-18-1071674541.jpg

Redleon,

Nice one :thumbup:

Yep, you can go that route on the 'Tavia too and it works. That's what I did :D

And you can hide the wire in the existing black cover thingy to the right of your red dot too... and you can hide the fuse in the battery cover if you trim some plastic of the fuse holder thingy.

Just goes to show that hahum "there's more than one way to crack a nut"

Unlike Q though, I was too lazy to do a post like this when I did mine.

Hence the big thumb going up :)

Having had the pollen filter out, I can't quite work out how you *could* put it back wrong, ie so that it would leak. There seems to be a substantial and well-sealed "base part" which stays in place during a change, although I may have to work out how to remove this to aid with cable routing.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

And you can hide the wire in the existing black cover thingy to the right of your red dot too... and you can hide the fuse in the battery cover if you trim some plastic of the fuse holder thingy.

How exactly do you get the power cable into it?

Just bodge it in through the side, or can you get into it under the air filter box?

Is it possible to run the power leave from the +ve terminal, left of battery, then left of the air filter box or underneath it and into the cable box?

Jono