Selling Bolero- do I need a code?

I have finally got all the parts required to retrofit a Columbus and VW Bluetooth unit to my MY12 Octy. The Columbus came with a card with a code and also a serial numer. My Octy just has a 4 digit code written in the owner's manual but no long serial number. In the manual it says if you want to use the unit in another vehicle you need to contact the dealer. Is that right and is there a charge for obtaining this code?

Obviously wont be able to sell without it. Any ideas as to cost?

Finally, as above the unit will be for sale next week -any takers?

p.s. Its only 8 months old and in mint condition

• 3 weeks later...

Just done the same thing with my Superb 3T. Did you ever find out? I rang the dealer and they said anyone wanting to fit it to another car would have to contact a dealer to get it paired. "There isn't really a code". I've been told rubbish by dealers before!

VW group have recently introduced a new system for radio codes and its being rolled out across the whole globe and VW group. The dealers will all eventually no longer have access to the radio codes, and the headunits must be paired online to Skoda CZ at the dealer. Some dealers with the old system can still get codes, but the numbers are dwindling as the software is rolled out.

Should the code on a headunit where its not known be required, then the car has to be taken to a dealer to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine. The computer then goes online, and as long as the VIN and radio serial number match the code is sent to the car directly. The dealer does not get to see the code, since neither you or the dealer should ever need to know what it is.

Should the details not match the central computer the code is declined, at this point you'll need a VAT receipt for the headunit, proof of ID and your V5 as proof of ownership of the car. Once this has been accepted by Skoda HQ, then the code will be sent online as before, again the dealer not seeing it.

The reason for this, well it is in part due to the large number of stolen headunits currently flooding the market. The system will identify any reported stolen units, which can be dealt with as required.

Audi have had this in place for quiet some time now, and provide the service to its customer base for free.

I would love one but put off by the issues when trying to fit it (canbus upgrade)

It's really not that hard if you go on from under the wiper arm / linkage on the driver's side.

You will need someone with VCDS to do the coding for you though.

If you are passing central Herefordshire and have a new CAN waiting to go in, PM me and I'll do it for you.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I was under the impression that the can was quite expensive? I must admit I worded my post quite badly. Will have to see if Santa (MD) can give me a good bonus

Also don't some people suffer from the screens being too dim?

Edited by zeffania

Thanks for the information everyone. I had thought of keeping the Bolero, but did wonder whether it would work again if fitted back in the original car. Mikeholroyd has answered that question- thanks Mike. I can not see why Skoda/VW etc. are so obsessed with security - the 4 digit code has not worked and no doubt the new system so well described by mannyo will be cracked.

What does annoy me is that I purchased the car new with the Bolero installed so the unit belongs to me to do with it what I will, yet I can not remove it and sell it as a working unit because the dealer will not tell me the code, and is even prepared to tell me a lie to try and justify the stupidity. I am inclined to pester them further as I think I could have a legal case to make them enable me to sell the unit with a code. I will keep it though and put it back in when I sell the car (likely to be in about 6 years time if my previous Passat is anything to go by!)

Zeffania - I never found the Bolero screen too dim, in fact I found the unit very good at everything it did!

Thanks again for the help.

Skodapeter - I had a similar situation when I bought my car. Dealer said he didn't have the code. I used words similar to yours about I have bought and paid for it and had a legal right to have the code provided. Funnily enough it turned out they had "interrogated" the system as part of the PDI. Heck and an hour later I had the four digit code.

If I were you I would go back to the dealer and have a similar discussion and not back off until you are given the code. Which you have bought (with the bolero)

Berniebloke - thanks for the encouragement. Ever since I put my pin into the machine to pay for the car I've had all sorts of errors and a couple of lies (intentional or not) from the dealer. What a pity for a car that's one of the best.

I will go back to the dealer just for the hell of it. Oh yes, I will keep you in touch!

I have a 4 digit code in my owners manual written down by hand presumably by the dealer. This is not enough to make it work in another car??

This is probably the code for the stereo. Won't know for sure until you try it.

lol My Bolero is sat in a box with the trim surround for it I intend to sell on Columbus when I come to sell car for value and ease of sale and fire the old one back in. But just because I don't like the sound of this not telling us the code bull I am calling my supplying dealer this week or might even call in as I am going past it later in week anyway when im back in UK just to be a pest!

It's my radio, I paid for it! Give me my mother trucking code if you want me out of here before you intend to close!

This is probably the code for the stereo. Won't know for sure until you try it.

Problem is selling it. If new owner can't make it work I have to accept it back with all attendant hassle and costs!

Fubar: do let us know how you get on with the dealer

On another note: presumably most Columbuses have come from other cars- why don't they have this code problem then?

Gaurav

Edited by Gtewary

Problem is selling it. If new owner can't make it work I have to accept it back with all attendant hassle and costs!

Just find someone with a Skoda and swap the stereo across. Try the code and see if it works.

Nothing lost except some time.

The code needs to be inputted into any car that you fit the radio, but once inputted, will be stored in the instrument cluster. So when you put the Bolero into another car, on first switch on it will ask for the code and that is it, it won't ever again even if the battery is disconnected. Need to take to a dealer to "pair" -- absolute rubbish.

If you take the Columbus out when you sell the car and put the Bolero back in, up to 3 codes are stored, and the car will remember the Bolero even though a different radio has been used in the meantime.

Personally I'd keep the Bolero to put back in and keep the Columbus to either use in the next car, or sell that if you don't get another Skoda, you'll get more for it than you will for a Bolero.

Mike - I'm just about to pull my factory bolero out to fit a columbus. The car was delivered new yesterday and thedealer did not supply a code (and told me "codes are no longer supplied" when I queried this, ggrrr!).

Yet again, a potential point of worry or frustration is resolved with a quick search on this fantastic forum.

Thanks for continuing to post as you do - sincere, accurate and helpful.

Cheers

Rob

Mike - I'm just about to pull my factory bolero out to fit a columbus. The car was delivered new yesterday and thedealer did not supply a code (and told me "codes are no longer supplied" when I queried this, ggrrr!).

Yet again, a potential point of worry or frustration is resolved with a quick search on this fantastic forum.

Thanks for continuing to post as you do - sincere, accurate and helpful.

Cheers

Rob

tell them you want it

i got a code for my one

guess this means yet another bolero for sale :blush:

don't expect to get a good price for it

Thought from the original post: I was under the understanding that the stereos NEVER came with little bits of card/paper with the code on them from Skoda?? Not saying it is, but i've only ever heard this tends to come with slightly hooky second hand units, and we can all search on here and find threads where it's quite obvious a LOT of columbus units are nicked due to their demand.

Just saying, that's all.

On another point, i've got a brand new 2012, 54 revision Bolero fitted in my motor, and regarding the dim fascia, I don't have any problems whatsoever with the screen being dim (in fact, the 3 brightness choices in the menu work fine), BUT it doesn't dim down when the headlights go on. I think I read this function isn't 'fixable' when retro fitting it to a pre-fl, but can anyone confirm that you definitely can not get it to work in conjunction with the lights?