sudden loss of power- no warning lights

Hi- I'm a new owner of a diesel- its an octavia mk1 1.9tdi elegance estate. Accelerating on the motorway out of a 50mph controlled area and the car suddenly went sluggish- couldn't get it above 70. It drove home fine but it feels more like driving a van. Any advice what to look for?

Thanks.

well limp mode is mainly caused by a faulty maf or a sticky turbo, carb clean the maf, if still the same problem bomb it up a hill in 3'rd gear, if the car goes into limp mode chances are you have sticky turbo vanes, might be worth a read but search for mr muscle turbo treatment an other member here lofty79 has done a little guide, i had the same problem with my old tdi, done this to my current tdi and no limp mode under heavy load so it does work

Oh and if you switch ignition off and back on again you will have boost back until it next does it. It's over boosting, the actuater rod and vanes get stuck so you get boost but when you ask more of it and it can't provide it - limp mode. Positive deviation I think the fault code reads. Mr muscle will sort it, and give you back some power aswell. Follow the guide and you can't go wrong - did yet another last week that 17 and counting

im home now heres the link in case you had trouble finding it

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/

When your finished, must be 2hours soaking by the way, have a spin and update us here and also if you could shove the results at the end of the guide thread too it helps others see if it works (which it does)

I just gave it a read through. Although it isn't the trickiest of jobs, I'm not one for risking doing unnecessary damage and I'm a bit clumsy. Have you any views on the forte turbo cleaner- do you know anyone else who tried it? I'd rather spend fifteen quid (if it works) than risk making a big mess from inexperience.

It's ok - I don't like the idea of faffing with feeding tubes down my EGR hole to the turbo either - so it's car up tomorrow and whilst it's in bits do it directly from the downpipe end whilst it's up as a precautionary measure ;)

With regards to the M Muscle treatment I see from previous posts that it works but where does the crap from the turbo end up ? Surely not into the particulate filter where it may stick? Not a criticism just interested to know....................

No particulate filter on cars of this age.... There is a cat, but when you look at a lot of diesels can can generate black sooy exhaust all the time, so a small release from the turbo clean can't be that bad.

As predicted, the car was fine when starting up again today- more than likely we've got the correct problem. Had a look underneath and I fancy having a go with the oven cleaner. I worry a little bit about not getting the pipe in the right place- any disastrous consequences if I do, or will it just not work properly?

ok, cool. Thought I read a warning about this on the original thread. It seems to be inevitable then- just have to get the materials and I'm having a go. Will try and remember to add the results to your original for others to see- it really helped me to know that it worked for others.

:happy:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...