Satnav without music on- columbus

Gtewary

Hi, I have just retrofitted a Columbus and bluetooth to my Octy VRS. My brother-in-law has a factory fit in his Tiguan and we seem to have the same problem though at opposite end of the spectrum.

When you have navigation on it seems music, either radio,CD or any media is also automatically on. My brother in law would like the music off and just have the navigation on and I would prefer to just have the music and mute the nav instructions. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of doing this.

Anyone know of a way?

Seems a very bizarre set up- all nav units have a mute button!

Mute does actually stop the music as well as mute it. If you select media and press mute and then unmute, you can see that the track has not advanced.

The nav instructions can be turned off under the setup button if i recall correctly

Adam

The nav instructions can be turned off under the setup button if i recall correctly

Yes, under Setup->Navigation.

And if you do not want to listen to anything, then the easiest way will be to activate Aux input under Setup->Media and then select Aux source under Media. Columbus will remember this selection and you will not have to turn volume down each time when Columbus is switched on.

While the music is playing turn the volume right down. It pauses the music and allows the Sat Nav, etc. to still work.

If Columbus works the same as the PiD in the Citigo, you can also adjust the satnav volume by using the normal volume knob whilst the nav is giving voice directions.

If Columbus works the same as the PiD in the Citigo, you can also adjust the satnav volume by using the normal volume knob whilst the nav is giving voice directions.

It does.

• Like 1

Thanks all- all the above work but I still thonk there should be an easy mute button on the navigation screen which you can just tap on and off as needed. Also I note there is option to set nav instructions as 'dynamic'. In this case you shoudl only get voice prompts if you deviate from the route. I have tried it but it keeps defaulting to 'on' However if I choose to set it to off it stays off.

Update- There is a mute button! The rocker switch on the left side rotates up and down to control volume but mutes volume if pressed- discovered by accident!

On my Yeti the rocker switch (it's actually a scroll wheel on mine so may be different to yours) does not mute the sound when pushed - it activates the voice control system. - I just scroll the wheel down until the music mutes - it shows the Mute symbol on the screen and stops playback of media.

My mistake- it is a scroll wheel in mine too. As per the manual pressing it should activate the voice control but it worked as a mute button when I tried it! How complex can it get?

For voice control to work the Bluetooth mic has to be wired up differently. There were some threads on this about 2-3 years ago covering this and what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to OP. there is a start up volume setting in the tone menu. I have found that it doesn't completely mute the sound, even when turned completely off. (For mates Tiggy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk