Noise from engine bay in 5th gear

lemonvrs

Does anyone else have the noise I have in 5th gear. From 1st to 4th theres a rustling sound from the gearbox which Ive heard on other cars, it seems normal and goes away at higher speeds.

However, as soon as I go into 5th at any speed from 50mph to 70mph there is a rattle. It sounds like pre ignition but cant be, otherwise it would do it in all gears which it doesnt. Im convinced its not right, and have read similar tales on the Up! forum but so far no one has an answer.

So, anyone else get this.... its not that loud but cant be right.

• Like 1

Just trying to get a handle on this. There are a few different noises being mentioned on the Up! forums and even some gearbox faults being identified. Does yours follow any particular versions of these sounds?

The engine and gearbox arrangement does have a sound track that is peculiar or more noticeable on the Citigo than other cars. I don't find any if the sounds excessive or worrying and I don't think any if them are indicative of anything wrong. I think they are just characteristic and need getting used to. Some of them, particularly the engine under acceleration are quite pleasing to the ear. The car has been designed with the bare minimum of sound insulation and this allows some characteristics to be heard that would otherwise be muted.

I get a little bit of a rattle, apparently from the gearbox from a cold start, only while the engine is idling. By the time I have driven for about a half mile it is gone completely when say idling at lights. When the engine is idling after the start, if I depress the clutch it disappears. I tend to consider it normal and have not remarked it to the dealer. I don't think this is what you are referring to though.

Lemonvrs - I think you've probably got it right! This car is like nothing I have had before in very many years of driving. They have a sweet exhaust note when you have learned to find the best revs and load. Ignore the gear indicator unless you are looking to achieve the maximum in fuel economy and be prepared to change down when its needed to accelerate, or climb hills.

After all, the power unit is just 1,000cc in quite a large car! I have heard the 'pinking (pre-ignition)' sound some time back too, use it as guide to change down, or reduce throttle. Now that I have adjusted to the Citigo's little foibles, I don't get these noises because I know how to avoid them!

Any potential gearbox problem cars were in the early batches - from the forums it seems perhaps at least pre-July delivery.

Well, the pinking sound occurs up to 70mph, so I dont think Ill change down! lol

Ive had so many cars, non have been as vocal as this one..... clattery release bearing, gear rustles, the rattle and the whine. What a weird bunch of people designed it eh? I guess its cost cutting.

By the way, yes it sounds lovely at high revs.

I actually think the 60PS has a slightly nicer, smoother exhaust note. The 75 has a bit harsher, more gruff sound. Both nice, but from my memory of the 60PS test drive I think the 60PS sound wins! I bought the 75 because I cant help myself - power, power!! :wonder: :rofl:

Does anyone else have the noise I have in 5th gear. From 1st to 4th theres a rustling sound from the gearbox which Ive heard on other cars, it seems normal and goes away at higher speeds.

However, as soon as I go into 5th at any speed from 50mph to 70mph there is a rattle. It sounds like pre ignition but cant be, otherwise it would do it in all gears which it doesnt. Im convinced its not right, and have read similar tales on the Up! forum but so far no one has an answer.

So, anyone else get this.... its not that loud but cant be right.

I get the noise in 5th too! I did a thread on Briskoda about it.

The dealer thought it might be the manifold design, but he said he's heard it on a number of them - and nothing has gone wrong with them yet.

He also suggested it might come and go with time.

• Like 1

I have an up! and also suffer from exactly this issue. I am personally not that happy with it making this noise in 5th gear and so have also booked mine into the dealers. I don't think i'll be accepting excuses relating to lack of insulation or exhaust manifolds bedding in as an excuse either. I don't see why some cars should rattle and others don't - if it was just down to design then all ups, citigos and miis would make the same noise but clearly they don't!

Edited by dmn100

The gear type sound that can be heard under various conditions would clearly be quieter with more sound insulation on the firewall and floor of the car. I should imagine this will be upgraded at some point because of some people's complaints. Some of the characteristics appear to be getting a little quiter with more miles and I don't think any of it is unpleasant or too intrusive just characteristic. May be Ups are a bit more noisier for some reason - I note that a couple of people have had replacement gearboxes and there are a number of issues affecting Ups which don't seem to be affecting Citigos. I read in a couple of magazines yesterday that the build quality on Skodas does seem to be generally better than VW's and having had a new Yeti and Scirroco at the same time that was my experience too.

I can't see build quality being a differentiating factor here - the citigo and up! are practially identical and both use exactly the same gear box, and all 3 cars are made in the same factory in Bratislava! I guess we will see - I will post the outcome here for anyone who is interested.

Took my up! into Listers VW today. Mechanic came out for a test drive with me who identified the noise and said it was caused by the gears rattling on the springs inside the gearbox but there isn't a lot they can do. He said several other up!s do it and about two other customers have brought in their cars for same issue but it is otherwise 'normal' for this car. Rather, I take this to mean the gearbox is inherently poorly designed and short of redesigning it, there isn't a lot VW can do to rectify it at present.

The guy did say VW were looking into it though and there may be a service campaign issued for the problem in the near future. He suggested this may include replacing the gearbox oil with a higher grade of oil or could involve replacing components with redesigned equivalents. So we will have to wait and see.

Well that's good to know, though at present I don't have any noises at all except a little bit of a low rattle in the gear box immediately after a cold start. Pressing in the clutch eliminates it, but it is gone anyway after a mile, presumably when the oil circulates and heats up.

Took my up! into Listers VW today. Mechanic came out for a test drive with me who identified the noise and said it was caused by the gears rattling on the springs inside the gearbox but there isn't a lot they can do. He said several other up!s do it and about two other customers have brought in their cars for same issue but it is otherwise 'normal' for this car. Rather, I take this to mean the gearbox is inherently poorly designed and short of redesigning it, there isn't a lot VW can do to rectify it at present.

The guy did say VW were looking into it though and there may be a service campaign issued for the problem in the near future. He suggested this may include replacing the gearbox oil with a higher grade of oil or could involve replacing components with redesigned equivalents. So we will have to wait and see.

Mine makes the gearbox clatter, but it performs well as a gearbox - as long as it changes gear ok then i've decided i can live with the noise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys just want to say that with the Citigo gearbox when engaging reverse you are supposed to keep the clutch engaged for a certain period of time (2-3 seconds) before selecting reverse. If not you'll notice it will not go in smoothly.(I know reverse doesn't have a synchro so it does make noise sometimes) Eventually the teeth will wear and you'll get problems engaging reverse all the time. This can also give problems with 5th gear