Midlands Police new speed trap vehicles

junctiontwo

I had some bits done at a vinyl design place last week and the guy told me they do all the work for Mids police.

The force have just bought 2 x unmarked 7.5 tonners fitted with cameras and will simply drive up & down the motorways catching speeders.

Nice!

Its not something that should bother anyone if the keep to the speed limit for the type of vehicle they drive.

It is April 2013 before the Fixed Cameras are all being switched off 'they say'.

No mention of moving vans or HGV's to catch speeders,

just Mobile Camera Vans travelling between locations where they do their job..

http://www.themissin...rivers-midlands

http://www.flickr.co...lice/8188686832

The HGV's used with Police Officers driving, to catch HGV's doing other stuff on the Motorways has been shown on the TV plenty of times. & they were Unmarked.

(Do Police Forces still actually Buy, usually they Lease or Borrow?)

In Scotland the 'Speed Safety Vehicles' Locations are advertised in Advanced,

& then anyone that misses seeing a Speed Camera van deserves to be caught IMO,

they must be driving without 'Due Care and attention if the miss seeing a 'Marked Speed Camera Vehicle'

If they do not see it but are not speeding, then they have little to worry about.

http://www.expressan...o-be-turned-off

http://www.wmsafetyc...eramovie=Mobile

george

PS. Some of the Drivers of 'Speed Camera Vans' need to be reminded of their 'Maximum Speed Limits',

on certain road types, in the Type Of Vehicle they are driving.

They are not fitted with Tracker System or Tachos & appear to think they are a Law unto themselves.

'Tayside Safety Camera Partnership ' vans seem particularly prone to exceeding Speed Limits between locations.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

I had some bits done at a vinyl design place last week and the guy told me they do all the work for Mids police.

The force have just bought 2 x unmarked 7.5 tonners fitted with cameras and will simply drive up & down the motorways catching speeders.

Nice!

Although its possible it is highly doubtful. They would need to travel the same speed as the speeder, I'm yet to see a 7.5t wagon that can do in excess of 100mph safely. Unless of course the vehicle just has speed cameras in it and will park up stationary, in which case a normal transit would be better suited to the job.

Suspect they will just sit at a relatively low speed (c 60-65mph) and wait for the speeders to fly past?

As George said above, it's not new and the use of HGVs to catch other HGVs has been widely publicised on TV.

THey would be leased vehicles - a Police Force is unlikely to fork out in excess of £60-70k for a tractor unit.

No mention of moving vans or HGV's to catch speeders,

just Mobile Camera Vans travelling between locations where they do their job..

The guy was evidently lying....

Although its possible it is highly doubtful.

The guy was evidently lying.....

Suspect they will just sit at a relatively low speed (c 60-65mph) and wait for the speeders to fly past?

Thanks - at least somebody got it. Apparently they'll be fitted with cameras, sensors etc.

Blimey, you try to be a good citizen and warn/help people.......

Why use a 7.5 tonne lorry?

I understand the use of HGV tractor units as they are used so that the passenger with a camcorder can film into the cabs of other HGV's. These lorries are supported by marked police cars that actually do the job of pulling over offenders.

What advantage is there of using a 7.5 tonne lorry over a Transit type van or umarked police estate car?

'Tayside Safety Camera Partnership ' vans seem particularly prone to exceeding Speed Limits between locations.

You never see those buggers on a road that might actually benefit from them. A fav spot is the long straight on the A94 between Coupar Angus and Burrelton. It's about 3/4 of a mile long, runway wide and straight and one of the few clean overtaking places on the road. I've never heard of an accident on it so it's obviously the best place to put a scamera van.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=coupar+angus&ll=56.539801,-3.275986&spn=0.037669,0.077162&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Coupar+Angus,+Perth+and+Kinross,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&layer=c&cbll=56.539864,-3.275942&panoid=jIKfvT7lJGiCmPW4T_8AOA&cbp=12,214.93,,0,13.41&z=14

Mind you if you can't see it you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway but I object to them being put in places where speed is very obviously not an issue.

Edited by Aspman

What advantage is there of using a 7.5 tonne lorry over a Transit type van or umarked police estate car?

Because now it's been on TV everyone will be looking out for tractor units (with no trailers), relatively new and clean, with 3 blokes in it, stalking other HGVs.

You never see those buggers on a road that might actually benefit from them. A fav spot is the long straight on the A94 between Coupar Angus and Burrelton. It's about 3/4 of a mile long, runway wide and straight and one of the few clean overtaking places on the road. I've never heard of an accident on it so it's obviously the best place to put a scamera van.

http://maps.google.c...3,,0,13.41&z=14

Mind you if you can't see it you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway but I object to them being put in places where speed is very obviously not an issue.

Grampian police like to put a van here every so often. 1.5 miles of straight road with no accidents that I know of. Again on a road that can be a pain in the bum to overtake on.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=oldmeldrum&hl=en&ll=57.362738,-2.331762&spn=0.03231,0.090895&hnear=Oldmeldrum,+Aberdeenshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=14&layer=c&cbll=57.362823,-2.331833&panoid=hYfTEw-6P0O6o-9w4mPaYw&cbp=12,357.95,,0,-4.93

If anything it makes the roads more dangerous because people will take greater risks overtaking on shorter straights. It is blatantly just a way to make money.

Edited by Blackline Stu

Sorry but a little confused. Easily done with me.

What is the warning/help,

Is it, never exceed the speed limit in the Midlands if there is an HGV about, or just generally,

do not speed or is it, do not get caught speeding?

george

Yeah I don't quite understand his post and the reasons behind it.

Stupid Question.

This is supposed to be for an un-marked 7.5 tonner. Yes?

So what is is the info. coming from a (modern version of) a vehicle signwriters?

Instead of vague FUD, why not give those of us who want to drive the M5 / M6 / M42 / M40 etc. details of the signwriting?

Otherwise WGTAF

Stupid Question.

This is supposed to be for an un-marked 7.5 tonner. Yes?

So what is is the info. coming from a (modern version of) a vehicle signwriters?

Instead of vague FUD, why not give those of us who want to drive the M5 / M6 / M42 / M40 etc. details of the signwriting?

Otherwise WGTAF

I'm a little disappointed that no little smiley-icon exists that depicts the shaking of a head as I cannot believe some of the responses here, nor the fact some individuals need things explaining in kindergarten terms. But as I'm a really, really nice guy I'll oblige those that need it!

Firstly 'BJM' my post wasn't a question so the first line of your completely unnecessary rant is wholly incorrect sonny. Secondly you need to stop taking the English langauge in literally the way that it's written i.e try to look beyond at the implied meaning? Shakespeare was a master at this as are many leading authors.

I'll explain chum:

The WM police have now added 2 x 7.5T trucks to their fleet. These (apparently, but the chap that told me could be a delusional fantasist as others here allude to) are unmarked & fitted with cameras & sensors. They plan to simply drive up & down the motorways recording vehicles that are breaking the law in some way, for example, speeding. I assume (assume, not fact) that this will be more productive than mobile cameras on just one stretch of road, as other offences can be seen in addition to those driving too fast.

I refer to a previously used word - 'unmarked' - which does (as I'm sure you understand) prevent me from giving details of the signwriting on said vehicles (line 4 of your completely unnecessary rant). To explain further my friend, the chap that passed on this information (the delusional liar, remember him?) was told directly by an officer from the force while he was having graphics fitted to his new patrol car. Is this becoming a little clearer?

Summarily then matey:

1. The trucks are unmarked

2. The chap that told me fits graphics to the WM force vehicles

3. He wasn't fitting anything to a truck - he was told by an officer in conversation

and finally

4. He told me as a gesture of kindness which is exactly the reason I posted it on this forum, however after the diatribe that followed I don't think I'll bother in future.

Have a nice day buddy!

Love you.

:love:

Your original post was very informative and helpful & surely of great assistance to many,

thank you for posting it.

Now as solo tractor units tailgate me, i will look closer to see if they are the Boys in Blue,

usually they are doing it when in the Silver or White BMW training cars while 5 up,

ie , moving on through traffic quickly without the use of lights while under instructions..

(Anyone around Perthshire/Tayside that recognises having had this done to them will know where they came from)

http://tulliallan.police.uk

george

saw something about these trucks on some programme the other week. They are used to get a higher vantage point to catch van drivers and other truck drivers using mobile phones, laptop etc. IIRC there was one driver caught watching films on his laptop!

http://www.freeradio.co.uk/news/uncategorized/police-lorry-catching-dangerous-drivers/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ivka5z4YevY

a couple of years ago, a brisky member was pulled by a patrol car "testing" new speed detection equipment for home office approval....... it uses software to know how fast the police vehical is travelling, and how fast the "target car" is travelling, and works out the ACTUAL speed of the car ...

the police offer explained to the briskodian how it works , the briskodian in question was travelling one way on an A road (at high speed) and the police office was travelling the other way (he turned round, caught and pulled the briskodian)

he explained the equipment showed he was doing in excess of the speed limit (by some margin), as they approached each other, and showed him the closing speed, and the acual speed of the alledged offender, but as it wasn't yet home office approved, and just being tested, the briskodian in question would just be given a warning, as there was no official evidence to book him.......

so I for one, believe that they could now have home office approved equipment that could work from a moving vehical....

NOTE: the briskodain in question wan't me... |i cant remember his name...

Do they not have this (of sorts) already? My only justification for this is the in car footage you see on the TV :

Offender being followed by a police car, drives under a bridge, police car takes a mark, travels at high speed to next bridge, police car takes another mark, computer calulcates the distance and time travelled, works out speed, offender prosecuted.

That is what the white squares are on the roads/motorways - marker points.

Shakespeare was a master at this as are many leading authors.

I cannot believe some of the responses here, nor the fact some individuals need things explaining in kindergarten terms.

Such a passion for the "English language" and clearly an avid fan of the written word.

Followed swiftly by the use of the word "kindergarton".

A perfect opportunity to share with you the emoticon you so clearly desire, one that in this instance could not be more appropriate...

:no:

I'm a little disappointed that no little smiley-icon exists that depicts the shaking of a head.

Such a passion for the "English language" and clearly an avid fan of the written word.

Followed swiftly by the use of the word "kindergarton".

A perfect opportunity to share with you the emoticon you so clearly desire, one that in this instance could not be more appropriate...

:no:

Not entirely sure what your point is - the use of a non-English word perhaps? My heartfelt thanks for the emoticon pointer though!

Oh by the way, it's 'kindergarten'.

Love you too.

:love:

Oh dear, we seem to have upset an English language pedant.

(BTW if we are being pedantic about the meaning of language in posts, in your previous post, how different is the Scout to drive from.......... what?)

The point of MY (not your) ironical / stupid question was to attempt to point out that the information provided was effectively an unsubstantiated rumour.

a ) It was apparently supplied by a Third Party who heard it from another (albeit supposedly a Police) party. The only thing missing from that scenario are the words "who I was talking to down the pub".

b ) No information on make, model, type, colour(s) registration etc. is provided.

As a useful, factual, article it would be worthy of the Daily Mail.

However, if I have offended you I wholeheartedly apologise.

Now you can leave your rattle in your pram like a good little kiddywink. :peek:

Edited by BJM