Columbus Nav - Auto Day Night Setting?

Hyeung

Hi,

Within the display settings, I have the day/night configured as auto. So one expects the display maps to automatically switch between day and night modes. However, it seems to stay as night mode all the time?

Has anyone managed to get this working ? Just wondered I I'm missing something, or if there is any issue with my setup?

Cheers,

Hung

Mine works fine. On or off with the lights

Do you need to have my lights switched to AUTO at all times for ths feature to work?

My lights are either off or manually switched to either low/main beam. I tend not to use the AUTO driving lamp control.

From what I recall, the sat nav display is always on night mode even when lights are off; i have checked and my satnav display day/night setting to auto.

It doesn't matter if you are using the auto lights or not. Display should change when lights come on or turn off. <br /><br />If the display is not then I suggest posting in the Ice, security and Insurance section on Briskoda, as there are some knowledgable people on here who can help. <br /><br />Or if it was fitted by the factory, visit your dealer.

Edited by rockhopper
  • Like 1

Well if it works like ours (4 years old now in Octavia) the actual day/night function is not automatic, you still have to do it manually.

However, if it is set on day then the screen dims when the lights are turned on.

Perhaps later ones have a different set up.

Mine is a 2009 Columbus and you have to toggle Night and day manually - maybe linked to firmware version?? Not too botther, since I drive with my lights on most of the time anyway - it is grim up north you know!

Well if it works like ours (4 years old now in Octavia) the actual day/night function is not automatic, you still have to do it manually.

However, if it is set on day then the screen dims when the lights are turned on.

Perhaps later ones have a different set up.

I seem to remember my previous Octavia was the same but I did retro fit the Columbus to it.

It doesn&#39;t matter if you are using the auto lights or not. Display should change when lights come on or turn off. <br /><br />If the display is not then I suggest posting in the Ice, security and Insurance section on Briskoda, as there are some knowledgable people on here who can help. <br /><br />Or if it was fitted by the factory, visit your dealer.

Based on the responses so far, there seems to be variations in functionality?

Very confusing....some also suggest the auto setting is based on the windscreen sensor,

Or either the sensor on the sat nav unit (top right corner)?

Mine is a factory install 2012. Car was deliveried in oct 2012 (elegance model)...however I don't know what columbus version.

DaveB suggests it does not work either.

Is yours a factory columbus? Or was it a custom install?

Do you know what version or year you unit is?

Anyone spring some light on this one?

Based on the responses so far, there seems to be variations in functionality?

Very confusing....some also suggest the auto setting is based on the windscreen sensor,

Or either the sensor on the sat nav unit (top right corner)?

Mine is a factory install 2012. Car was deliveried in oct 2012 (elegance model)...however I don't know what columbus version.

DaveB suggests it does not work either.

Is yours a factory columbus? Or was it a custom install?

Do you know what version or year you unit is?

Anyone spring some light on this one?

Mine is a factory install delivered december 2010. It is running version 2xxx. Can't remember which, but it has not been upgraded.

I suggest you take it back to the dealer.

Mine is a factory install delivered december 2010. It is running version 2xxx. Can't remember which, but it has not been upgraded.

I suggest you take it back to the dealer.

When you say it's not been upgraded, I assume you mean the firmware of the satnav?

Also, can I just clarify that this auto switching of day night mode only works when you manually

Switch lights on and off....and this also includes when you have the auto driving lamp control on.

i assume yours is also an elegance model, and it has the auto driving lamp control?

If this is correct I will return to dealer and advise them.

When you say it's not been upgraded, I assume you mean the firmware of the satnav?

Also, can I just clarify that this auto switching of day night mode only works when you manually

Switch lights on and off....and this also includes when you have the auto driving lamp control on.

i assume yours is also an elegance model, and it has the auto driving lamp control?

If this is correct I will return to dealer and advise them.

Correct, firmware of the Columbus is as suppled by the factory.

Display changes if the auto lights turn on or off or I manually turn them on or off.

Unless I have manually selected day or night mode, in which case I have to manually change display back like the above posters. But once back in auto changes with the lights.

And yes, mine is a Elegance-see my car in the Yeti projects section by clicking on the link in my signature.

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming.

I'll speak to the dealer on this. As mine doesn't behave like this.

I haven't tried the auto lights in great detail.

But when lights are off (exclude daytime running lights) it stays on in night mode

Even when day/night is auto.

I hope it's an easy software fix....or if someone has forgot to hook up the relevant sensor

Cables at the factory?

Cheers

Hung

Edited by Hyeung

There has been a change to the way the Columbus is set up at some stage.

TIBET I (MY2010) had the screen changing between day and night mode in time with the headlights - when the headlights were in either auto setting or manual.

TIBET II (MY2013) doesn't work this way. You have day, night and auto in the Columbus setup menu but when in auto, it changes independent of the headlights.

This means for instance, that even when the headlights are 'off', the screen will go into night mode when going through the trees. That irritates me so I just leave it in night mode - far less obtrusive.

Next time I'm 'in the trees' I'll see if it is changing the screen setting in time with the headlights when the screen and lights are in auto mode - ie using the headlight ambient light sensor.

Hi,

Within the display settings, I have the day/night configured as auto. So one expects the display maps to automatically switch between day and night modes. However, it seems to stay as night mode all the time?

Has anyone managed to get this working ? Just wondered I I'm missing something, or if there is any issue with my setup?

Cheers,

Hung

I don't see the auto option!

There has been a change to the way the Columbus is set up at some stage.

TIBET I (MY2010) had the screen changing between day and night mode in time with the headlights - when the headlights were in either auto setting or manual.

TIBET II (MY2013) doesn't work this way. You have day, night and auto in the Columbus setup menu but when in auto, it changes independent of the headlights.

This means for instance, that even when the headlights are 'off', the screen will go into night mode when going through the trees. That irritates me so I just leave it in night mode - far less obtrusive.

Next time I'm 'in the trees' I'll see if it is changing the screen setting in time with the headlights when the screen and lights are in auto mode - ie using the headlight ambient light sensor.

The display mode on my sat nav has been set as auto.

regardless of headlights, and time of day the display mode has always

Stayed as night mode as far as i can remember. This is

Me driving in the open, so no tunnels etc.

Mine (2010 CR170) seems quite temperamental, annoyingly so. I have the Day/night display set to auto and while it works OK much of the time, I've definitely noticed:

1. That it can take 5 or even 10 minutes of driving sometimes to settle into the appropriate mode for the time of day, starting off in the wrong mode;

2. Occasionally, it won't even do [1], remaining in the 'wrong' mode, despite the weather being either bright daylight or night-time;

It doesn't strike me as the most thoroughly debugged piece of VW technology. I've asked my local dealer to take a look at service time, but no error codes and nothing obvious wrong. That it misbehaves only sometimes obviously doesn't make for easy troubleshooting. I've kind of given up on it as one of those life's too short minor problems. But it is annoying in a trivial sort of way nonetheless.

Y'know i have had my monster for 2 yrs now and until this thread I didnt know how to change it to night settings, but as said you just go to setup, display, and put it onto auto and it will change when the lights come on.

:rock:

Well it does seem to work on ours. Both vehicles are also very similar in age and colours :rofl:

When my lights are in auto, every time you went into a cloudy patch, or over hanging trees the xenon headlights would fire up and the Columbus sat nav would go into night! back in brighter light it would all change! So I always have the sat nav in "day" mode - The brightness can be adjusted with the rotary instrument light adjuster (at night...)

When my lights are in auto, every time you went into a cloudy patch, or over hanging trees the xenon headlights would fire up and the Columbus sat nav would go into night! back in brighter light it would all change! So I always have the sat nav in "day" mode - The brightness can be adjusted with the rotary instrument light adjuster (at night...)

With DRL's there's no need to switch lights on prematurely under trees etc, but it does still need to work at dusk. It's about right on my car, but it sounds as though the Auto sensor on yours is being too sensitive if it triggers so frequently. One of the things I liked about the Yeti is that the system did not trigger the auto lights immediately but would wait a short time to ensure it didn't turn on lights unnecessarily.

I actually find daytime mode is better by day or at night.

And so do most sat nav users I see. :lol:

I personally can't stand the bright daytime colours blinding me at night. Even the Columbus I find too bright at night in night mode. Wearing glasses doesn't help I find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD