Winter Tyres _ No spare in car - any tyre experts?

killy

Hi I put my winter tyres back on last Friday - and today went for a short run - on the way back I noticed a very slight vibration and so I stopped to check it out - Was amazed to find a completely flat tyre on the offside front - I would have thought that it would have been more noticeable

Tried the pump but the air was obviously coming out faster than it was going in - only a few miles from home so a taxi to get the jack and spare wheel - quickly changed over and this is what I found

1A8088FE35AC49A19E4A5EA0C9EA7D6B-0000358890-0003089899-00800L-9D76D0CCD9A245919487B430AFD5C25D.jpg

908C3C9664944683A606F197056E45BA-0000358890-0003089898-00800L-86D3BBEE4A784F7097BF91EE8B41F037.jpg

791A231007FB4D34B355AE259C6DB8AA-0000358890-0003089897-00800L-CA6E9CC8ECB844B6AD4211877D7FE294.jpg

Anybody got a clue what could have caused it?? it looks a bit like a slash with a knife - I did not see any debris in the road

Regards

Mike

Edited by killy

Bad luck there, sorry.

Even tho the tyre is now deflated, maybe try the biggest or sharpest knife you have and see what effect it has on the tyre.

I doubt that it was a knife.

It could have been just anything on the road.

Did the TPMS not show anything wrong before you could feel the vibration?

Had you inflated the tyres & re-set the TPMS last Friday & is it checked & done again now?

george

Unusual that's for sure and difficult to say from a photo the cause but a Stanley could well be the culprit. Are they Hankook W310's, if so I've not noted any potential manufacturing issues with mine; manufactured WK26/10 (touch wood).

Hope you can get it sorted with a replacement quickly; particularly as the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

TP

Bad luck there, sorry.

Even tho the tyre is now deflated, maybe try the biggest or sharpest knife you have and see what effect it has on the tyre.

I doubt that it was a knife.

It could have been just anything on the road.

Did the TPMS not show anything wrong before you could feel the vibration?

Had you inflated the tyres & re-set the TPMS last Friday & is it checked & done again now?

george

Thanks George I do not have TPMS

Regards

Mike

1st winter when I had the BMW we had a pile of snow and winter tryes were like hens teeth. I manage to find 2 for the driven wheels and they made a massive difference - for 2 days 'till I got a puncture and wrecked one . Took 3 weeks to get a replacement - one winter tyre is as good as none!

Unusual that's for sure and difficult to say from a photo the cause but a Stanley could well be the culprit. Are they Hankook W310's, if so I've not noted any potential manufacturing issues with mine; manufactured WK26/10 (touch wood).

Hope you can get it sorted with a replacement quickly; particularly as the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

TP

Thanks TP Yes they are Hankook W310's - I will try to order one in the morning - Any Idea who is the cheapest??? currently looking at £96 delivered

Regards

Mike

1st winter when I had the BMW we had a pile of snow and winter tryes were like hens teeth. I manage to find 2 for the driven wheels and they made a massive difference - for 2 days 'till I got a puncture and wrecked one . Took 3 weeks to get a replacement - one winter tyre is as good as none!

I have to agree - that is why I bought 5 tyres and steel wheels last year and this proves that you really do need a spare wheel

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

I had two tyres wrecked on a company vehicle a few years back after driving over the a scaffolding foot that had fallen from a lorry and ended up wedged in a drain cover like a blade.Called up one of the other engineers on our new fangled car phones and he joined me with his spare wheel to get us to a garage.

Just fitted a set of W310's to my car and found Tyremen the cheapest and would recommend the efficient service.

Paul

Looks like a chunk of scrap metal or similar. In the third picture at the top of the vertical part of the cut there are scrape marks which may have been produced by a rough piece of metal as it penetrated the tread.

Good luck with a replacement.

I have to agree - that is why I bought 5 tyres and steel wheels last year and this proves that you really do need a spare wheel

Regards

Mike

I have 5 wheels as well for the same reason, though the winter is still in storage and the 'semi skinny spare' is in the boot as per normal.

I hit a downpipe from a lorry on the M25 in January 2011. luckily it didn't damage the tyres, but bent 2 steel wheels. Then in February 2011 I managed to rip the sidewall open getting out of the way of an ambulance. Since then I have had 5 full size winter tyres/wheels.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Camskill and tyremen are OoS.

mytyres £91 and oponeo are £96

Prices fluctuate daily mind.

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP found this late Sunday night

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400348067221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Arrived today £85.20 Delivered

Regards

Mike

• Like 1