In dire need of advice/suggestions...

Good evening all,

Finally had the car assessed and it's bad news. The turbo has gone bang, but not before it spat some metal into the engine and now the engine has locked too. :( Alongside the new turbo, the mechanic thinks that a new engine block will be needed too and further to that he said they're not keen on fitting a new engine and turbo to an old clutch and cam-belt. Just in case something else fails and destroys the engine again.

All in all depending on the cost of parts (not done much costing yet) he seems to think it will cost between 2k-3k inclusive of labour.

Is it possible and would it be cheaper to get a complete power unit from a breakers yard and drop it in?

Thanks for the speedy reply, however not after a PD100. I know beggars can't be choosers, but I don't want to be the first forum user to "mod" the car to have less power :giggle:

Its same engine m8 ;)

Wack ur injectors n inlet on n its a 130

Just keep an eye out for a pd130 engine then....

When fitting a second hand engine, we always advise to fit a new timing belt, possibly water pump also. Its always up to the customer at the end of the day but when engines cost £600+ a £60 timing belt is worth fitting.

....but then, where do you stop?

A service

Water pump

Clutch

Flywheel

ring around for a full engine/turbo out of a written off car, there's gotta be one somewhere?,

if metal has gone into the engine then i'd hazard a guess that it may have caused damage to the head

meaning possible bent valves so you may be after a head too so a complete engine looks even more appealing

I you get a complete unit whatever it's from advice from me ( I've fitted a few scooby engines lol to say the least) always change the Cambelt and water/ oil pump because there netorious on vags for going wrong 1.8t's anyway but worth doing while out the. You know it's 100%

Or for £3k + 1.8t conversion ???? :D : D

Edited by Big deano

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the advice you guys have given me over the past few weeks!

@Patriot1, definitely looking for a complete engine, had a quote today for one at £590 inc delivery minus the turbo, the breaker sends all the turbos he gets to be recon'd. The engine is a 51k engine from a write off, been tested as working and has a 3month guarantee. Definitely tempting, but will require extra outlay for a turbo. Is it possible to get a reconn'd non-hybrid garrett for between £300-450, or am I p*****g into the wind with that idea?

@BigD, I've heard/read from several people that's a necessity so I guess it's gonna have to happen too. As for as converting to petrol, that won't happen as I bought diesel for it's low running cost! :think:

Edited by Mechanical Numpty