driving in snow and asr

darfash

I think fitting winter tyres to just the front can have insurance implications.

The mother in law was going to do the same with her Toyota Aygo. She was told that doing this could invalidate her insurance. Upon checking with her company this was correct and so she has fitted 4 winter tyres.

Phil

Generally you won't need to turn ASR off when you have winter tyres. As others have said it doesn't trigger very often on the Fabia with winters on.

If your in deep snow doing a standing start though, I'd turn it off. The reason being, I'd start in 2nd gear and you don't want ASR potentially killing revs when starting in 2nd.

Either way, get some good tyres and you won't really have a problem until it starts going above the bumper in my experience. Drive to the conditions and have fun in the snow :) Can't wait for more snow!!

• 1 month later...

I think Winter tyers are ok in the North of UK, but in the south of England i think it is not necessary. Better to drive slower and keep a good distance to the car in front.

I wonder if people using Winter tyers will be under a false sense of security and will drive faster then they should.

So winter tyres aren't necessary in the south of England?...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21085450

Don't remind him of his mistake............... :giggle:

He might be in a ditch due to his summers not gripping on the "imaginary snow".... :rofl:

Ha ha, you may be right. I'm looking forward to hearing how these snow driving "experts" are faring with their summer tyres on 2mm's of tread!

Ha ha, you may be right. I'm looking forward to hearing how these snow driving "experts" are faring with their summer tyres on 2mm's of tread!

Got more than 2mm, but my RWD BMW managed fine. Got 'stuck' a couple of times, but never needed pushing out. That said, I struggled and needed a few attempts up a sheet ice hill (which I stupidly stopped on).

Got more than 2mm, but my RWD BMW managed fine. Got 'stuck' a couple of times, but never needed pushing out. That said, I struggled and needed a few attempts up a sheet ice hill (which I stupidly stopped on).

So you managed "fine"....then admit that you need a few attempts to get up a hill, and got "stuck" a couple of times..............

I think the term "fine" needs to be removed and the words "just about coped/made do" inserted....

On winter tyres you wouldn't have had any "problems"..............not only that but your stopping distances would be much shorter much like a summers day!

If i remember correctly the ASR has a very early/crude system of XDS (electronic differential lock).

Although not very effective, it would be an added advantage in the snow.

Thats ESP that has that I think.

If i remember correctly the ASR has a very early/crude system of XDS (electronic differential lock).

Although not very effective, it would be an added advantage in the snow.

Correct.......^^^^^^^^^

Thats ESP that has that I think.

Right and wrong....^^^^^^^^..............ASR was available without ESP...BUT had to have EDL (Electronic Differential Lock) & ABS

Full correct info here on my big post...linky.....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/214776-wtf-is-abs-edl-asr-esp-hhcetc/

This will help you get your head around the systems!!!!

How much does the ASR cut the power in the Fabia?

I noticed something in the Octavia that with the wheels slipping and even with my foot to the floor the revs were only about 1500-2000rpm.

In my Cordoba the TCS (same as ASR) would barely ever kick in and would just let the engine rev and the wheels spin. I only ever once in the whole time I had it felt the power being cut any other time and the wheels would spin and I cut feel the EDL kicking in as the front end squirmed around.

Just curious really. Thought they may have turned the system down on the Ibiza compared with Skoda.

Phil

How much does the ASR cut the power in the Fabia?

I noticed something in the Octavia that with the wheels slipping and even with my foot to the floor the revs were only about 1500-2000rpm.

In my Cordoba the TCS (same as ASR) would barely ever kick in and would just let the engine rev and the wheels spin. I only ever once in the whole time I had it felt the power being cut any other time and the wheels would spin and I cut feel the EDL kicking in as the front end squirmed around.

Just curious really. Thought they may have turned the system down on the Ibiza compared with Skoda.

Phil

In my experience, that was a good plan to keep the throttle pedal well down, I messed up by trying to help the system by backing off the throttle, that was okay as long as the system was in control, but when it switched itself off, as it does, the engine stalled - not good on a hill with deep snow and a month before buying winter tyres!