Fitting HIDS

kevinjwiles

Do they need wiring etc

How do you mean ?

as I say its plug and play as they say, unplug the connector off the old lamp, plug that into the ballast, and insert the new hid lamp and connect the wire coming out of the ballast onto the new lamp

Radiotwo

Slightly different question along the same lines... My wife has a Monte Carlo with DRL's I have tried to change the bulbs to LED ones and fitting a resistor but try don't light? Tried it without the resistor and they don't light. It's a 50w 6ohm resistor. Any ideas guys?

Slightly different question along the same lines... My wife has a Monte Carlo with DRL's I have tried to change the bulbs to LED ones and fitting a resistor but try don't light? Tried it without the resistor and they don't light. It's a 50w 6ohm resistor. Any ideas guys?

Try removing bulb and rotating 180 degrees. LEDs have polarity and will only work one way round.

You know I'm such a bloody numpty!!! I know that and hadn't tried it..... Simples! Peeved off with my self now, been racking my mind and missed the obvious! Thanks

No problem mate! Glad you got it sorted :)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

You know I've been lying here in bed thinking about bloody LED bulbs and you can't fit these ones the wrong way round lol.... There basically the same bulb as an indicator or rear light bulb, a PY21 I think so the 'case' is the neg and the 'nipple' is the feed so can't be the wrong way around..... Back to te drawing board :-(

• 10 months later...

I'm considering HID's for my 05 reg vRS. Have confirmed I will need the "canbus" version for the dipped beams (disconnected a bulb and up came the "lamp failed" signal) but the main beam did not give a failed indication so think I won't need the canbus version there.

I'm a bit concerned about finding space for the ballasts. Extension wiring kits are apparently available but I wonder if anyone has fitted both main & dip units and where they placed the ballasts.

Any comments?

Thanks gents in anticipation.