Advice on buying SE+ VSI 105 or Monte Carlo VSI 105

Hiya fellah's - newbie here and would really appreciate some buying advice.

I'm going looking at a dealership on Friday 21 Dec 2012.

Current car is Seat Ibiza FR 1.9TDi. It has 130bhp and firm sports suspension. It's a diesel.

It's not aged well and is now 9 years old. Service and maintenance and repairs have costed me a fortune and it's now time to give it a Vikings funeral.

Plus side- It has a fantastic engine and loads of torque. Ideal for where I live in a very hilly part of the world. Very stylish.

Minus side - very firm suspension (ouch!). Not suited really to English roads and driving conditions. Crap headlights (they are dim and condense like crazy) and bits and pieces have corroded, fallen off, snapped, broken and just generally needed too much doing to it too early.

New car of choice, after much research is either the SE+ (105) or Monte Carlo (105).

Both have the same engine and really the main difference is that the Monte Carlo is really an expensive 'Sports' Pack. That and the difference in suspension.

I'm used to a hard ride as the FR is as hard as nails too. I've read about the poor headlights in these Skoda's and again I've had that with the FR. What I don't want to do is swap like for like. I could save about £3k on getting a SE+ than a Monte Carlo but I don't want it lolloping all over the place....and the styling on the Monte Carlo is eye candy isn't it.

Decisions, decisions, what would you do?

Existing Monte Carlo owners....do you wish you'd gone for softer suspension in the SE+.

Thanks muchly for yer advice.

HG

Coming from an Ibiza FR id suggest the SE+ will feel a bit soft. My wife used to have a 130 PD Sport Ibiza (same car as yours just a little earlier) and can confirm it is worlds apart from our MK2 Fabia vRS estate, the MC will be way better riding though probably not quite as quick but would be my choice of the two. Our old Ibiza used to cain standard 1.8T MK4 Golfs!

Love my Monte and noway I would of had a Fabia if the other option was an SE, sorry to anybody with an SE who loves it but its just no my cup of tea. I think they look like a car for grandad until it has the sports pack on. :/

Just swapped an Elegance TSI 85 on standard suspension and 16" rims for a Monte TSI 86. The Monte lacks some of the toys of the Elegance but makes up for it with more supportive and comfortable seats for example. Monte's ride is noticeably firmer but feels more sure of itself on twisty rural roads, with much less roll being detected, although that may be in part to those much nicer seats.

TP

Anyone been stung with high servicing costs and so called 'common' faults with this model?

I say this as, despite my research, I was still caught out by the award winning What Car Seat FR, as it developed condensing headlights, window washers hosing that kept popping out of place, heavy wear on front brake discs, plus heavy costs on the timing belt change (£400 +!!) and a raft of other crap like early corrosion and wishbone repairs.

I'm sold on the Monte Carlo so far but this seems like the best place to come than just general googling about the place for scaps of information here and there. That's what caught me out with my Seat, despite it being so highly rated. Perhaps in Madrid, where they make 'em, it don't rain and the roads are better that ours in the UK.

So far I can't fault my Monte Carlo, don't like the standard styling of the fabia as its a bit drab, wouldn't of bought one if they didn't do the monte as didn't want a vrs

+1

No probs with mine, new in June 2011 and now done 21K miles, I like the firm ride. Got free servicing for first 3 services with skoda finance . Paid off finance early but still get servicing deal. Higly recomended :thumbup: .

The Monte is based on a normal fabia but with lowered suspension, 17" wheels instead of 15" or 16" and sports trim (front spolier, wheel arch extensions, sports seats, etc.) They have the same engine so no difference in performance.

I imagine the low profile tyres will make the ride firmer than 15" or 16".

Lowered suspension is available as an option on the non-monte fabia. I believe it might be the same.

edit: I'd buy a normal fabia, add sports suspension, put 16" wheels on, good compromise between 15" and 17" and save paying the premium. Black wheel arch extensions/trims of the Monte makes it look like a softroader, Rover Streetwise-esq.

Edited by fabia55

The Monte is based on a normal fabia but with lowered suspension, 17" wheels instead of 15" or 16" and sports trim (front spolier, wheel arch extensions, sports seats, etc.) They have the same engine so no difference in performance.

I imagine the low profile tyres will make the ride firmer than 15" or 16".

Lowered suspension is available as an option on the non-monte fabia. I believe it might be the same.

edit: I'd buy a normal fabia, add sports suspension, put 16" wheels on, good compromise between 15" and 17" and save paying the premium. Black wheel arch extensions/trims of the Monte makes it look like a softroader, Rover Streetwise-esq.

+1 on that.

I bought a regular Fabia TSI 86 elegance with acc, reverse sensor, sport chassi, sunset and the sport package with the sport seats and stearing wheel. Saved me quite some money and im only lacking the 17" and the wheel arches..

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Black wheel arch extensions/trims of the Monte makes it look like a softroader, Rover Streetwise-esq.

So true. The black plasticky trims round the arch make the arch look huge and the wheels really tiny. Not cool

Very interesting subject this one. My input may strike you as odd, but bear with me.

As I understand it, you admit to being disappointed with the reliability of your Ibiza, and yet, you are opting to buy another car from the VW group, a car that bears a strong resemblance (under the skin) to your current car in fact. I for one wouldn't spend my hard-earned cash on something so similar, having had your experience. It is true that historically, for whatever reason, Skodas have been much more reliable than Seats, but have you researched any other cars?

I noticed you mentioned What Car magazine and their award for the Ibiza. Trust me on this one, DO NOT believe a word any magazine says. I used to, until I test drove every car in the Fabia's class. They all said the Fiesta this and the Fiesta that, and they praised it so much, so I left it until after I drove all the rest, thinking that I would probably choose that in the end, and guess what, I was very underwhelmed. Not a bad car, but (between petrol models) the Fabia is a lot better to drive (not just the Fabia, several others too actually). I'm specifically talking about petrol Fabias, because sadly, I've driven many different models and have found diesel Fabias to be rather dull, but that's not the point. The point is, my best mate has been an engine analyst for Jaguar-Land Rover for the past 2 years and he confirmed to me that part of the company's annual budget is for "treats" to the various automotive publications and the press in general. Every car manufacturer does it, not just JLR or Ford, magazines and their reviews are merely used for advertisement. Fact.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Fabia. I love driving it, every single mile in it has been fun for me, even if the version I own is dreadfully slow compared to my last car, but I couldn't care any less. Do I love Skoda dealers? Positively NOT. Did they give a monkey's when my car started to rust just after its second birthday? NOPE. Could I have had a serious case with Trading Standards and what have you? YES. Could I trust them to repair it properly once I had won the case? NO. Their shoddy service work is truly shocking. At least I'm lucky enough to have another mate who has his own body repair shop and sorted it for me. Would I recommend or buy for myself another product from the VW group? NO WAY!

Quite honestly, best bit of advice is to forget about what the magazines say, go and test drive a bunch of cars, find which pleases you the most, and scour the forums to see owners' experiences. Don't let brand loyalty get the better of you. You don't get to buy a new car often, and it's a very big outlay. Broaden your horizons by looking at other cars and spend your money wisely.

No doubt, plenty of fellow members on here with much more positive experiences on their cars than mine, but I felt obliged to give you my two pennies worth.

I am inclined to agree with the above post. Dont go buying a Fabia with the belief its going to be completely reliable....they are good little cars but ours at 18 months old whilst it has been a peach so far mechanically, its had to have a frustrating amount of silly warranty work done to it.......in fact every VAG car i've ever hads been the same (MK5 and 6 Golf and previous gen Polo). I might be a bit anal perhaps but id say i have enough experience of VAG ownership to say that.

One thing they are great for is build integrity, no other mainstream cars stand the test of time like a VAG product, my 3 year old MK6 Golf felt as solid as new when i gave it up with 50 hard K on the clock, didnt feel worn at all. Certainly wasnt the case with the Ibiza but i think Seat has come along way since 2003!

One other thing.....had a 1.6 TDi 90 SE estate as a courtesy car in place of our vRS estate....was shocked how much more dynamic the vRS felt by comparison; and that is of course taking outright go out of the equation. I'd say you would be making a mistake buying anything other than a 1.2 TSi 105 in MC spec. The sports seats are also way better than the Elegance offerings, and in my opinion all the 1.6 TDi's lack spark.

Yeap, I haven't driven a vRS to be honest, but besides the different engine characters, diesels (compared to an HTP or a TSi) have very numb steering, devoid of any feel and lacking precision, and the manual gearbox is nowhere near as slick as that of petrol-engined Fabias.

I've got a VRS MarkII but my dad has just bought a Monte Carlo. Whilst its completely different to mine it's a great car I like driving it. He loves it too. Test drive a few cars, if your garage are anything like my local one I was allowed out on my own with various cars for a few hours so go and enjoy test driving some. I can't comment on the SE but the Monte definitely looks better and I would imagine hold better value when selling it on.

Thanks fellahs, and gals, for your postings and advice. FAB 59 I take your point and never again will I believe or trust What Car reviews, in fact that's why I've looked and created an account on here. Pretty much ALL makes and models have their fair share of problems and it's not related to how much they cost either!

I have to take the plunge and trust the Skoda brand, it's as good as any other. My other option was the new Ford Fiesta 100PS Ecoboost engine but I needed the boot space coz I'm a musician and lug stuff about in the boot, (google Hadian Gates + Reverbnation and have a listen, like me on FB LOL).

So then, went to dealership today and saw the red, saw the white, hated the red (photoshopped like buggery in the brochure isn't anything like it!) and put my name on the dotted line for the MC 105 White. Decided to do what the plumber did and go for finance to get the 3 yrs service (intend to pay off in 9 months) and pay the extra to get the 5 yr warranty (2 xtra years then!). I also got the Gap insurance for £299. My missus wasn't pleased about the latter but look.....last year I witnessed a horrifying crash just 2 cars away from me, it could have been me. It's always a calculated gamble when we drive and not always our fault. On a new car like this I thought, with my bad luck, I'd get it.

My Seat hasn't aged well and I know it shares the same family as Skoda but not completely. I've driven Vauxhall (hate 'em), Ford (main rival for me, like 'em but overpriced), Peugot (don't like 'em), and the rest in the same price range Kia, Chrysler, etc who can look and drive like the Monte Carlo.

Too late now anyway ha ha.

Yep, gone for a brand new one plumber. ETA from the Czech Republic is about 2 - 3 months.

Looking forward to cruising about in it on a nice Summers Day around the Countryside, picnic in the boot and perhaps a pint of Real Ale in a pub off the beaten track.

Edited by Hadian Gates
  • Like 1

Nice one Hadian, I trust you made a good choice for your specific needs, and I hope the dealer(s) you deal with from now on turn out to be good and helpful.

P.S.: I actually found both the Corsa and Punto to be by far the worst in the class (both just hateful cars to drive, Punto very easy on the eyes though), and yet the Corsa was highly rated in magazines and sells well. That just goes to show how well some marketing strategies work nowadays, and the need for people to go out and look for themselves.

Nice one Hadian, I trust you made a good choice for your specific needs, and I hope the dealer(s) you deal with from now on turn out to be good and helpful.

P.S.: I actually found both the Corsa and Punto to be by far the worst in the class (both just hateful cars to drive, Punto very easy on the eyes though), and yet the Corsa was highly rated in magazines and sells well. That just goes to show how well some marketing strategies work nowadays, and the need for people to go out and look for themselves.

Agree regarding the Corsa.

I test drove the Corsa and the Monte 105ps on the same day over the same test drive route back in November. The Corsa had the 1.4 engine and yet felt noticeably more sluggish than the Fabia. Corsa has slightly tighter steering but it has those hateful touch controls that I just couldn't get used to. I kept trying to click the indicator stalk into place to use the indicators but it's a touch indicator that returns to it's neutral position, even when indicating. Corsa was smaller and the ride didnt feel as assured despite trying SXI trim level that should have had at least similar suspension and seats.

Corsa felt significantly poorer than the Fabia. They sell so many because despite high list prices, dealers heavily discount them to make them more financially attractive. They also offer cheap and cheerful finance and regularly offer free insurance so become the car of choice for young folk looking for a car. Wasn't for me though - Fabia felt so much better.