Octavia 3 specs? Kerb weight/towing

There has been no mention of towing weights yet but it is claimed that kerbweights have been significantly reduced for new model so current car may be a better option.

Towed with three of the current vRS TDi models prior to my current Yeti, will be very interested in the new one, but if its lighter it'll be a no go for me too sadly (unless we go for a lighter 'van) .... it would be handy if they upped the noseweight limit to the 90Kg mark like the Passat too!

How does your yeti pull mate? What size van you pulling?

The Yeti tows very well, we have the 170TDi.

We are currently towing a 2012 Sterling Cruach Benmore, which weighs in at 1400Kg all up.

No complaints at all, better ground clearance on the Yeti helps on sleeping policemen, otherwise our 170TDi vRS's performed just as well, albeit with a 1300Kg van.

damn good weights though, will improve performance and economy on stock engines, and lower tax...

I agree it is a great move for the majority ... for we caravanners it is a drawback. However this should be a boot up the bottom for the caravan makers who should be making greater strides to produce lighter vans without loosing our luxuries.

I think pulling a 1450kg van with a 1300-1200kg car is a bit on the dangerous side. Ok it will pull it but if i need to brke suddenly my 1450kg van will not be very nice to control!!!

Yes your right i will wit and see what specs are but in uk there is a 85 or 95% rule most abide to. Thats in favour of car bythe way lol

Um, guys.

I can legally and safely tow 3.5 ton behind a landrover that weighs a hair over 2 ton. Ditto for pulling 40 ton with a 10 ton truck.

Kerb weight is just one factor and it's a very silly one to throw toys over. Especially before specs are published.

The new car is longer wheelbase and possibly wider track too. Both things which improve towing behaviour. Both things which completely outweigh an unloaded weight reduction of one passenger or two suitcases.

Um, guys.

I can legally and safely tow 3.5 ton behind a landrover that weighs a hair over 2 ton. Ditto for pulling 40 ton with a 10 ton truck.

Kerb weight is just one factor and it's a very silly one to throw toys over. Especially before specs are published.

The new car is longer wheelbase and possibly wider track too. Both things which improve towing behaviour. Both things which completely outweigh an unloaded weight reduction of one passenger or two suitcases.

It is obvious we look at towing weights very differently in the UK ... we generally look to tow (for caravans at least) up to a maximum of 100% of the cars kerbweight though the clubs recommend being closer to 85%. For safe and comfortable towing in the UK I would never tow at more than 100%. Therefore kerbweights are an important factor here.

Doesn't it depend on whether what your towing has brakes or not?

The car makers tend to quote a braked and an unbraked towing limit ... however I would say the only thing you are going to buy that is unbraked are luggage trailers or very light trailer tents.

All caravans made in the UK for the last million years (!!) are braked.

Sorry, I don't tow and have never towed (Prefer the tent TBO) so don't really know what I'm talking about, just what I have read.

As always I am learning every day :-)

Caravan clubs worldwide recommend towing weights well below legal and safe maximums. Likely for their own protection rather than any other.

My scout has 1600kg braked towing capacity and this is exactly the same for the UK versions: http://www.uktow.com...&model1=Octavia

If you don't feel up to towing the rated capacity, then that's your call. But it's nothing to do with the kerb weight or the cars actual capability.

If you are so concerned about towing weights, why are you using kerb weight and not loaded car weight as your measuring stick?

Um, guys.

You can legally tow a 3.5t trailer with a Landie in the UK too. There are many factor taken into account when a manufacturer sets the max recommended towing weight. Kerb weight is just one of them.

Caravan clubs worldwide recommend towing weights well below legal and safe maximums. Likely for their own protection rather than any other.

My scout has 1600kg braked towing capacity and this is exactly the same for the UK versions: http://www.uktow.com...&model1=Octavia

If you don't feel up to towing the rated capacity, then that's your call. But it's nothing to do with the kerb weight or the cars actual capability.

If you are so concerned about towing weights, why are you using kerb weight and not loaded car weight as your measuring stick?

Taking the potential loaded weight of the car is a bit hit and miss ... for long trips the car might be heavily loaded for weekends not, so I'm not happy using that as a starting point, hence the use of the makers quoted kerbside weight.

Would I tow 1600Kg with a Scout? No. I've caravanned all my life and towed since I was 18 in 1988, experience says I would never tow a caravan heavier than the car, also a 140 TDi would get a bit out of breath towing such a weight on some of our steeper motorway climbs.. Towing is part of our holiday so I like to make it as stress free as possible, hence I prefer to have a well matched outfit with power on hand.

Just my personal point of view and said very much with caravans in mind, perhaps a low sided trailer with less 'sail area' would be fine.

Ian, have you ever towed something heavy? I've towed 3+ ton trailers and 2.5 ton dead trucks behind my landrover without problems and over steeper/taller hills than you can find in the UK. The towed mass was about 1.5 times the kerb weight of the tow vehicle and this posed no problems at all.

Towing 1600kg behind a scout gives you a far better power/weight ratio than all the commercial and heavy goods vehicles. This is 70kg over kerb weight.

Apparently your steepest motorway climbs don't beat 4% gradient and highest point 372m. http://www.ciht.org..../stats.htm??One of the passes I towed over here is 16% at it's steepest point which is ~900m altitude. I have no problem towing to manufacturers limits over that road. It's perfectly legal and very easy to do safely.