Octavia 3 specs? Kerb weight/towing

It is all down to the legalities of the situation. If your car has a kerb weight of 1700 kg and a towing weight of 1600 kg then being allowed to tow up to 100% of the kerb weight is not on. If you are pulled over by the police and they decide to weigh the car and caravan then you could be in trouble. If the caravan plate is over the allowed towing weight on the rating plate of the car then you are illegal.

A Landie and a lot of other 4x4 vehicles can tow up to 3.5 tonnes legally because they are rated to do so, however you are likely to need a tachograph but that is a different matter altogether!

Ian

Countryboy, if you are within the legal limits of your car then why would the police have a problem with it?

Can anyone show me where this much referred 100% kerb weight is legislated?

Both my solihull products and my scout are rated to tow more than 100% of their kerb weight. On a braked trailer of course.

Ooo I love a good towing debate.

All this kerbweight and fully laden weight. Plenty caravaners have these correct but then don't bother to check the tyre pressures etc.

Do all caravenners have their van serviced yearly once its out of warranty?

Its a jungle out there and caravans on their roofs every year come Easter.

Edited by Web Ferret

• 2 weeks later...