Roof Rack Rear Trim...

Tristar 1011

I was standing on one of the rear wheels to look at the roof (as suggested by one of our vertically challenged members). I pulled myself up using the roof rack and noticed that the rear trim on both sides were not very secure. (see attached picture). One tug and they came off! There was no real clip to hold the top edge tight against the the bolted down frame. Usually a thump with your hand will clip trim back into place... I think I may have to glue it with a hot glue gun. It had not fallen off since new (3 months!); has anyone else had the same problem?

Peter

post-73315-0-61922700-1356526079_thumb.jpg

Peter

Try this thread. I have encountered same issue or even worse.

http://www.briskoda....of rail trims (#21, #31, #34, #38)

Refitted with a new one at the Skoda service, but still implemented an addition of my own to avoid future repeating of the issue.

Good luck !

Edited by rafi_arch

I did not realise it had such a history. It just seems a shame that a well put together car has a piece of plastic trim that does not really fit - I'll glue it before it disappears!

My suggestion: Don't glue it ! Tape it (and the other 3) in two places - at the end where it joins the rail and at the middle where it starts to get wider an bends downwards. Use black weather resistant tape.

Worths a visit at the service center - hope they will replace it.

My suggestion: Don't glue it ! Tape it (and the other 3) in two places - at the end where it joins the rail and at the middle where it starts to get wider an bends downwards. Use black weather resistant tape.

Worths a visit at the service center - hope they will replace it.

Hi rafi_arch,

Yes I may try the black tape, if it dries out enough. There is no point in fitting new ones, as my car is new (3 Months)! It really needs a new design where the top edge does clip over the roof mounted trim. I may try and take one off (again) and photograph the inside to show that there is no top clip to hold it tight in place...

Peter

Tried mine today - both came off easily.

Fortunately, I had the remnants of the urethane glue from the wheel arch kit left over, and I managed to "find" a couple of pea sized blobs still active to fasten the top curved edge of the plastic to the main rail.

Held tight with some black tank tape, so hopefully it will go off in the correct position, yet will still be able to be removed if the need ever arises.