Exhaust options - Opinions wanted and welcomed!

vrs oh yes

Good evening everyone and seasons greetings!

I am relatively new to the world of Skoda so im just learning the basics.

I own an 04 Silver Fabia Vrs which is currently standard and in fine health at 62k.

The topic of conversation for this thread is my possible options for an exhaust and remap.

choices ive found so far include ;

Milltek Cat-back and AMD Remap - £518

Milltek Down-pipe/Decat - £177 - would need an adapter to fit onto the standard cat-back.

Piper Down-pipe/Decat - £210 - comes with an adapter to fit to the standard cat-back.

AMD Remap - £299 - Custom to the car not a generic map, this interests me more.

I am a little overwhelmed by the options but what I'd like from you all is your views and opinions on what set-up to consider.

I like the sound of a Milltek cat-back, but im aware that the exhaust makes no difference to the power, and im after a nice sound but i dont want it sounding like a dumper truck!

I'm more swayed by the Piper decat and AMD Remap. This would total a similar £500, but id have no Milltek catback.

Or to have a Milltek down-pipe, Decat, and Cat-back, and the included free fitting and half price remap with AMD would cost £718 - which i think we would all agree is getting up there in price!

Anyways, thanks for reading, now share some wisdom.

Maz.

Edited by vrs oh yes

To add..

This will have a panel filter too, either k&n or piper. piper is cheapest.

Also can someone explain what on Earth a EGR is and does and why I might consider removing it?!

Maybe try a Jabbasport cone in the box too instead of the panel filter.

Thanks for the replies, Milton Keynes is quite a distance from folkestone though!

ill call AMD tomorrow, i'm thinking maybe theyll sell and fit a milltek decat downpipe possibly with a downsizer then with a remap?

we'll see.

Is the cone in a box going to give better breathing than a panel? bit gimmicy**

Maz.

Took my car from here to Folkestone for the piper fitting, not a huge trip tbh, decent time of day and that. Use to travel almost as far to visit Unit 18 before I moved, rather travel a bit and get top notch kit/service. Plus often they were cheaper so it paid for the fuel too!

Edited by matt1chelski

I wouldnt always base your options on distance...

I vote for your needs

Custom exhaust (depending on what you want as little as a muff chop @ £40?)

Generic remap (£150 - £250)

So sub £200 all in. Wont be any slower than the guys that spend £500+ on an exhaust and super duper custom remap.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, Milton Keynes is quite a distance from folkestone though!

ill call AMD tomorrow, i'm thinking maybe theyll sell and fit a milltek decat downpipe possibly with a downsizer then with a remap?

we'll see.

Maz.

I'm in Lydd and still went to Milton Keynes :-) piper are based on Folkestone so that should be a good call :-) if you want a little ride give me a shout. I'll take you for a little spin so you can see what the pipers like :-)

I wouldnt always base your options on distance...

I vote for your needs

Custom exhaust (depending on what you want as little as a muff chop @ £40?)

Generic remap (£150 - £250)

So sub £200 all in. Wont be any slower than the guys that spend £500+ on an exhaust and super duper custom remap.

This is just another spanner in the works. I really arent sure about a generic map. And lopping off the exhaust just seems ghetto! I haven't got money to burn but I am keep to have it done properly.

Hi Buddy Shark have a good reputation. You have a Pm. Cheers Pete.

Thank you, again this is generic and im not sure how i feel about it. Something to look into. I'm aware that Shark have good rep on here.

I'm in Lydd and still went to Milton Keynes :-) piper are based on Folkestone so that should be a good call :-) if you want a little ride give me a shout. I'll take you for a little spin so you can see what the pipers like :-)

Awesome man, will have to take me out and show me your shiny bits!

we'll see.

Maz.

Oh yes.

I know some on here have had problems with the panel filters with the foam coming apart etc.

I was using a standard air filter but after only 8k it was extremely dirty and not looking very good.

Cone in a box paired with a PD160 intake = job done :)

• Like 1

Oh yes.

I know some on here have had problems with the panel filters with the foam coming apart etc.

I was using a standard air filter but after only 8k it was extremely dirty and not looking very good.

Cone in a box paired with a PD160 intake = job done :)

I agree, best setup. quite a jump from a £40 panel filter to a £170 cone and PD160 setup!

What is it you're not sure about with a generic map?!

I just don't know how it works. surely every engine is slightly different. Won't a generic map leave the car running lean or rich or under or over boosting?? Be kind as im not clued up about them.

The maps I do are tailored to a degree as they are based on the original map on the car

Never had any issues but some people do prefer live rr maps but then they are more expensive

I prefer whatever one offers me 300 lb-ft and not too much smoke!

I just don't know how it works. surely every engine is slightly different. Won't a generic map leave the car running lean or rich or under or over boosting?? Be kind as im not clued up about them.

I prefer whatever one offers me 300 lb-ft and not too much smoke!

Fair point.... In that case I would suggest you need to speak to a mapper and get them to talk you through it so you can make an informed decision.

I'm in the same situation as you, not sure which way to go really but I'm pretty sure I wanna take

her beyond 200, so for the time being a generic map will probably do as I see no point in spending 3-500 for a custom map and the exhaust can wait until its really needed.

As for going over 300 for torque, you're gonna need to consider a new clutch as yours will get munched at that figure with a bit of spirited driving :D

A generic remap will give the best value for money though.

A custom map might eek out an extra few horses or lbs/ft with an exhaust/decat and airfilter, but a custom map is best utilised on a hybrid turbo/fmic setup

I'm in the same situation as you, not sure which way to go really but I'm pretty sure I wanna take

her beyond 200, so for the time being a generic map will probably do as I see no point in spending 3-500 for a custom map and the exhaust can wait until its really needed.

Is your's remapped yet?

Perhaps im getting ahead of myself then.

how about this,

panel filter or cone in a mother f****** box. £40 -£170

piper decat and downpipe mated to the standard system. £210

and a generic map from a reputable company. £150 - 300??

That's a clean stage 1?