My Monte Carlo is pulling to the left HELP!

vtaylor92

[skoda] just let customer after customer have problems, let them get the run around and inconvenience & expense, some problems minor and easily resolved, some are more involved and actually safety critical.

Does this mean that there is a chronic problem with the Fabia pulling to the left?  Does this apply to all the range?

Dear God, will these problems never end? :(

Got the car back yesterday, done alignment free of charge.

Car still pulls to the left, just the same as before. Didn't see the before alignment figures but the car drives exactly the same.

Waiting to hear back from skoda.

Sent from my Dyson dc09 using tapatalk.

Tyres alone didn't fix it for me. Proper alignment at wheels in motion in chesham cured it. After the first visit it still pulled slightly but a second visit saw them cure the problem. They mentioned that the car must be extremely sensitive to suspension geometry settings.

Note: car is dead straight now and still follows camber but doesn't pull to the left. Also steering wheel didn't have to be repositioned and nothing about steering angle sensor. The mark of a good alignment place, I think.

All done at my expense but I'd had enough of faffing about with Skoda at that point, especially after 3 years of endless visits to the dealer with my previous vrs.

Shame on Skoda, frankly, for leaving owners in this position. Still very interested to see whether there's any truth behind the rear beam theory. Must have a part number stamped on it somewhere...

• Like 1

Tyres alone didn't fix it for me. Proper alignment at wheels in motion in chesham cured it. After the first visit it still pulled slightly but a second visit saw them cure the problem. They mentioned that the car must be extremely sensitive to suspension geometry settings.

I am glad that yours is fixed. Unfortunately Chesham is a bit far for me to travel as I might have given them a try with my car. Do you have the printout of your alignment? It may help others?

Note: car is dead straight now and still follows camber but doesn't pull to the left. Also steering wheel didn't have to be repositioned and nothing about steering angle sensor. The mark of a good alignment place, I think.

My alignment center did not mention moving the steering wheel (that was the Skoda dealer). The Steering Angle Sensor calibration was mentioned by my alignment center but it was also backed up by Pro-Align here and another website here.

Now those sources say that some Steering Angle Sensors need recalibrating/resetting after a four wheel alignment not all.

So I don't know whether the one on the Fabia should be or not. No one has answered that question yet.

Edited by marky

• 1 month later...

Guys,

This thread is really interesting as I'm just about to buy a Monte Carlo and when out on test drive before I put the deposit down it was pulling to the left.

I just put this down to the tracking being out and I put the deposit down with the proviso that the tracking was fixed.... after reading this thread it now seems like a much more complicated issue!

Car is a 13-plate 1.2 TSi on Conti's and it exhibits the pull to the left quite badly.

The dealership selling the car is an Arnold Clarke dealer and all they said they would do is check the tracking... I fear it will come back saying within spec and car will still pull to the left. I believe the Skoda warranty fix is to fit Pirelli tyres and re-align everything.

My issue is I'm not driving that car off the forecourt without the issue resolved and I don't think its going to happen without me accepting the car and then going into battle with Skoda via warranty.

At least I know about it before I've signed on dotted line so thank you to this thread for the info.

The Autoexpress article is shocking.... how the heck are Skoda getting away with this... what with this and oil consuming 1.4TSi engines????? VAG Quality???

• Like 1

Are there owners out there with Dunlop or Conti tyres with car that does drive in a straight line?

I really want a Monte Carlo but I'm starting to loose faith as whats the point if they all have a problem.

Tom

Edited by laney456

The majority drive straight on Continentals or Dunlops.  the ones that are faulty and Pull Left are still faulty and would pull left,

It is just the fitting of the Pirelli Tyres disguise the fact.

(it is not only Monte Carlos that have had the problem, vRS have, and VW's)

I have Pirelli Zero Nero on a vRS that does not Pull Left and never has,

but the steering is light and the ride harder on the Pirellis compared to other tyres, like Dunlops which i actually like,

and i have adjusted the steering to have less Assistance to compensate for the lightness of steering on the Pirelli, which have less Tread on the road than many other 205/40 R 17 tyres.

If the car is Pulling Left, i would just walk away, 

AC are not going to have it fixed, and if Pirellis get fitted under Warranty, thats not a fix just hiding the fault.

george

• Like 1

The majority drive straight on Continentals or Dunlops. the ones that are faulty and Pull Left are still faulty and would pull left,

It is just the fitting of the Pirelli Tyres disguise the fact.

I have Pirelli Zero Nero on a vRS that does not Pull Left and never has,

but the steering is light and the ride harder on the Pirellis compared to other tyres, like Dunlops which i actually like,

and i have adjusted the steering to have less Assistance to compensate for the lightness of steering on the Pirelli, which have less Tread on the road than many other 205/40 R 17 tyres.

If the car is Pulling Left, i would just walk away,

AC are not going to have it fixed, and if Pirellis get fitted under Warranty, thats not a fix just hiding the fault.

george

Yawn. You just copy and paste?

What's the fix Mr Know It All?

I never copied and pasted anything , i typed that,

never copied and pasted ever on any post ever in my life.

Never done a Quote ever, other than typing it, and i type every link.

I know tyres and cars & this subject.

Have you found that left hand drive rear axle yet?

Why should i tell the VW Group aspiring to be the biggest car manufacturer in the World how to fix or build cars.

I will leave that to those that were told something by a Technician once.

george

Hey guys - Sorry I'm new to this and actually this thread has potentially saved me wasting £9000 on a car that pulls to the left. For that I'm very grateful

Goneoffski - Thank you for your help and advice - it is very much appreciated. 

I've found a very similar car and they are taking it out on a test drive for me to see if it pulls to the left.

Is it a problem that could develop do you think? Or is it a simple question of is the car built correctly Yes/No!

Edited by laney456

Cars can be kerbed or hit potholes and need fixed obviously.

But the cars in the 'Pulling to the left threads'  that Skoda /VW fit Pirelli tyres to after lots of Testing,

& trial and error are Lemons from the Factory.

Why do Skoda change Tyres, but still fit those same Brands after 3 years of reported Pulling to the Left.

Poor Quality Control of Parts and Builds IMO. 

& unforgivable.

If Dunlops & Continentals are faulty, what is wrong with them ?

Why are all Dealerships not Telling Customer that it is Common,

but common on badly set up cars as delivered to the UK by Skoda or VW,

& that they are sorry, and will fix it promptly and without expense to the Customers.

Cars can be kerbed or hit potholes and need fixed obviously.

But the cars in the 'Pulling to the left threads' that Skoda /VW fit Pirelli tyres to after lots of Testing,

& trial and error are Lemons from the Factory.

Why do Skoda change Tyres, but still fit those same Brands after 3 years of reported Pulling to the Left.

Poor Quality Control of Parts and Builds IMO.

& unforgivable.

If Dunlops & Continentals are faulty, what is wrong with them ?

What's the fix then?

Mine came with Dunlop and a horrendous pull to the left

The alignment was fine. Continental tyres fitted and no more pull to the left. What's it's hiding exactly?

I can't comment on tyre wear as it's only done about 1k on those tyres.

No uneven wear on the winter Dunlop tyres either and no pulling to the left.

What it is hiding is the pull to the left with tyres with a wider tread on the roads surface.

You said the alignment was correct,  so was it just bad Dunlops,?

other vRS do not pull to the left when fitted with Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 17's

How do i know what your fix is, new bushes, new springs, realign.

So if you change those Continentals for other 205/40 R 17 Summer tyres, can you be sure of the car not pulling to the left?

What happens if you go fit some 215/40 R 17's with a wider tread on the road?

Unless you had Faulty Dunlop tyres from the Factory, your car must still have the underlying fault.

What it is hiding is the pull to the left with tyres with a wider tread on the roads surface.

You said the alignment was correct, so was it just bad Dunlops,?

other vRS do not pull to the left when fitted with Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/40 17's

How do i know what your fix is, new bushes, new springs, realign.

So if you change those Continentals for other 205/40 R 17 Summer tyres, can you be sure of the car not pulling to the left?

What happens if you go fit some 215/40 R 17's with a wider tread on the road?

Unless you had Faulty Dunlop tyres from the Factory, your car must still have the underlying fault.

So why keep going on about it when you don't know what the issue is. Yours isn't affected so why are you even here?

Are you saying that Dunlop 205s have a wider surface area than continental 205s?

In future I would put Michelin or continentals back on. I don't like Dunlop tyres, I never have.

My friends car must be faulty too, he has factory continentals but when I put my Dunlops on guess what?

So maybe just maybe it is a faulty batch of Dunlop tyres?

Or the fitting of them on the rims and the run out.

I do work on more than my own vRS.,

Well you have the Continentals, do they have a different compound, sidewalls and the same area on the road as the Dunlops,

the Pirellis do not.

What were these Winter Dunlops that you had on, size wise.

Maybe it was a Faulty batch of Dunlops that have been hanging around for near 3 years now,

just like me.

The Difference is that Skoda & VW keep fitting them to cars, replacing them,

and then fitting some more to new cars in the Factory and sending them out to customers.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

So why keep going on about it when you don't know what the issue is. Yours isn't affected so why are you even here?

JRW - Is there really any need? - Are you guys not just trying to help out each other.

You both speak allot more sense than what a Skoda service desk would tell you.

Come on...

JRW - Is there really any need? - Are you guys not just trying to help out each other.

You both speak allot more sense than what a Skoda service desk would tell you.

Come on...

It's the incessant trolling on every thread like this. I've had the problem, it's resolved. He hasn't and he thinks everyone's issue isn't resolved with no facts to back up reasons why.

I think it's the tyres. I've got 5 years warranty so I'm not too worried if symptoms reappear. It's logged with skoda UK and I've got a letter to prove it's on file.

Also I'm in a foul mood today ;)

Skoda are still sending out service schedules with no age for changing cambelts and have been doing for 6 years now despite the dealers being adamant it's 4 years. I reckon I know who's telling the truth and it ain't the dealers or skoda UK

The reason it is not Resolved,

is the Members that got new tyres and the problem, that is the underlying problem, that has people trying to reject cars because it is still there.

& people have accepted the issue and got shot of cars, and buyers of used ones get landed with the faulty car.

So there are many threads and many pages of posts here, 

and Changing from Dunlop Sport Maxx has not fixed many peoples cars.

You might not like me trolling subjects,

i do not like abuse from those that troll me, so if you do not like my posts,

or think because personally i do not have a faulty vehicle i can not comment, Tough really.

Ignore my posts.

jrw

Last year after 4 re alignments, my car was eventually fitted with 4 new Pirellis. 

That was great.

But I have always had the thought that the tyres are just a Plaster over the wound.

This has proved to be true.

I now find that the front tyres have worn extremely badly. The inner edges of the tyres are so bad that the tyres make a noise similar to a wheel bearing.

So 2 weeks ago the car went back in.

The wheel alignment was rechecked and found ok.

So they changed wheels front to rear.

The Pull to the left is now worse than before, even with the rear wheels now on front, with virtually little to no wear.

Skoda have said they will pay for 2 new tyres.....

But this is not acceptable as the FAUT is still there.

So this is now on going again with Skoda UK.

Skoda told me, there are no others with this problem,  after new tyres being fitted.

So if you have a problem let them know.

Side note.

Please Guys don't fall out on this, the site is for the benefit of all Owners. Those with issues can get information from others, & I for one have found it a vast source of information.

After all, we are all on the same side.....

• Like 1