VRS electric window problems

JG89

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, I have a 54 Fabia VRS which i have owned now for nearly 3 years. I have just moved out to france for the winter, but just before I was setting off both the driver and passenger side windows have stopped working. This was quite a pain on the toll roads down to the Alps.

I have searched the forum and have found a few solutions to my problem;

• Changed the fuse

• Put the key into the door and turn it left and right. This opens and closes the windows fully. - This has lead to be believe that the fuse I have put in is ok or this would not happen?

What else could be the problem and how can I solve this?

Many Thanks

Josh

Hi, Thank you for your response. Both switches have stopped working on the drivers door as well as the passenger door switch.

There's a good chance the window switch in the drivers door has failed. The feed to the passenger window goes through that switch first.

This happened with my '54 plate Fabia VRS too. After doing a search on here I found that I had to change three 25 amp fuses in the fuse holder at the drivers side end of the dash. The thread on here shows you which ones and which position they are in. I didn't have any new fuses on me when I first investigated and just swopped them all around and that worked for a couple of days. Then I bought new fuses and that cured the problem.

You can also try http://www.fabia-vrs.com and click on the technical info section, sub section fuse panel layout, for a full fuse board diagram and list of fuses.

It was while ago I did mine but from memory I think it was the fuses in positions 46, 58, and 68 that I changed around.

Sorry, I need new glasses to read the super small writing in figure two.

Edited by Coffin Dodger

Well my 2007 vRS windows have now stopped working as well! I've changed the fuses and no difference. Also checked if power is getting through to the fuse and it is. So what else can I try? I presume the relay is fine because I've power at the fuse. Is it the switch on the drivers door then??

The drivers side switch on mine went a bit intermittent recently, I tried electrical cleaner but didn't fix it - a replacement part was approx £35 from main dealer and 5 minutes to replace - it has been fine since.

Hi

I had the same problem on Monday, was going to book car in but was waiting to see if any developments on this thread.

I turned my heater up and directed it onto the drivers switches on my way to work. After work, they started working again, coincidence? Possibly damp had got in after all the wet weather, will see how things go.

Cheers

Simon

Had a look at mine again today. The passenger side now works but the drivers side doesn't. Baffling to say the least.

Now I've just been to strike her up and the batteries nearly flat! Will have ti investigate tomorrow!

Mine has the same problem, I posted about it last winter but has been ok up until about a couple of weeks ago, same again one day windows work next day they don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Well my electric windows still aren't working. I've changed the drivers side switch for another and still no difference. What I've failed to mention is that all of the time the central locking has always worked from the drivers switch, just the windows don't. I've tried changing the fuses and the drivers side switch, so what else can it be? Does the ecu want resetting? I've read about doing this on here but unsure as to whether I should do it.

I had the same problem with my 54 plate Fabia last week. I need to swipe access through a gate at work so its a pain to find you can't open the window when you are right next to the post that holds the swipe reader!

I tried the resetting method by turning the key in the lock first left then right. It worked for a day though the passenger side would not open from the drivers switch and then they all failed again when I had would the window all the way down. I turned off the engine and restarted it and it started working again. Very intermittent and anoying. I need to check all the fuses and the switch. I have also noticed my lights are fluctuating slightly with the revs of the engine and wonder if the battery needs replacing and whether that could be something to do with the window failure.

• Like 1

Following on from my previous post, my windows failed then worked and now failed for the last couple of weeks. Had an auto electrician out who found no faults via his computer. He suggested changing the switch but said it could be the motor? that's failed or the brain which means both sides don't work.

Going to have to take it into Skoda as the electrician wasn't much help, once I have saved up a small fortune!

Cheers

Well I have bought a new driver side switch unit while I was back in England. Just flown out to France for the rest of the winter and just fitted the new switch. Nothing! The windows are still not working. Very strange I seem to have the same issue as Nickfel. Is this a common problem???

Well my electric windows still aren't working. I've changed the drivers side switch for another and still no difference. What I've failed to mention is that all of the time the central locking has always worked from the drivers switch, just the windows don't. I've tried changing the fuses and the drivers side switch, so what else can it be? Does the ecu want resetting? I've read about doing this on here but unsure as to whether I should do it.

At last success!! After having no electric windows for over a month I've finally got them working again. For how long I don't know? Had a twiddle in the fusebox with one of the fuses and they work again. Must be a bad connection around the fusebox area. Is the fusebox located in the same place as VW's and do they have the same problem?

Well anyway for the time being their sorted, I just wonder for how long?

At last success!! After having no electric windows for over a month I've finally got them working again. For how long I don't know? Had a twiddle in the fusebox with one of the fuses and they work again. Must be a bad connection around the fusebox area. Is the fusebox located in the same place as VW's and do they have the same problem?

Well anyway for the time being their sorted, I just wonder for how long?

Was it the fuses located 46, 58, and 68 you twiddled with?? This is my aim to try tomorrow to replace all the fuses again and with a new switch see that happens.

Was it the fuses located 46, 58, and 68 you twiddled with?? This is my aim to try tomorrow to replace all the fuses again and with a new switch see that happens.

It sure was. But guess what? They wouldn't work again this morning! So I swapped those fuses around again and they then work. Then I locked the car, unlocked it and they don't work. Fiddled with fuses again and they work.

At least I know what area the problem lies in. I'll try and find some fuses with thicker contacts and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I have tried fitting new fuses and a new drive side switch and nothing.... My windows do not want to be windows anymore... I can not even reset the windows with the key (turn left then right)

Any help?? I'm back from France in a few weeks so I'm going to be taking it to Skoda Nottingham when I get back.

Josh

My driver's side window winds down but sometimes not up or only half way up. Sometimes it goes most of the way up but immediately goes down again.

I asked Honest John's advice and he reckons it could be damp inside the door affecting the motor control circuit. Maybe this is a symptom of the water in the doors problem that Fabias suffer from?