You thoughts - Turbo Cleaner

Dean-

Looks good. I'm not a fan of the mr muscle trick mind, not that I've tried it but can't see it doing good things to oil seals etc...

I know a lot of people have tried it and had no problems but just having my say. I'd rather use something like this that has been designed for the job.

I looked at MM and although the product and the theory is sound, I don't have a VNT problem yet and am using the preventative approach. I picked up a 750ml bottle of revive for £30 today (without the spray bottle) and I'll either buy the exact same spray bottle for £5 from ebay or just use a bog standard trigger spray bottle that window cleaner comes in.. Fair play to the revive company they're not saying you must buy their bottle, just anything with a flow rate of 0.2-0.5l / min and produces a fine mist.

Might do it today if it ever stops raining! :dull: Off to test some bottles!

Edited by Ben90

Total rip off to pacify the lazy. £2.99 and do it properly, 80k miles since I did mine that was limping at every oportunity.

How hard can 3-4 bolts possibly be.

This may work temporarily, on early stage symptoms but wont cure it long term.

However Ben90, this is a good idea, its expensive but as prevention, i recon it has a real place

I agree the initial treatment is expensive, but after that you can just blast a single 250ml measure through once a year before service time which works out at £10/year. I also went with it because it (should) clean the evil EGR valve and other bits as well as the VNT vanes. Bill at Badger5 recommends it too, that's ultimately what sold it to me :D

• Like 1

it wont clean the egr, if thats caked with carbon, it would take gallons, also i would prefer the black carbon goop to come out into a bucket, not be combusted and foul ma valves etc.

as i say on an already clean system, great to keep it clean. If its choked itll be a bit pointless

I looked at MM and although the product and the theory is sound, I don't have a VNT problem yet and am using the preventative approach. I picked up a 750ml bottle of revive for £30 today (without the spray bottle) and I'll either buy the exact same spray bottle for £5 from ebay or just use a bog standard trigger spray bottle that window cleaner comes in.. Fair play to the revive company they're not saying you must buy their bottle, just anything with a flow rate of 0.2-0.5l / min and produces a fine mist.

Might do it today if it ever stops raining! :dull: Off to test some bottles!

Let me know if you find a suitable bottle please, might do this myself as a preventative measure :)

Personally I'd do the MM as preventative maintenance even if you don't have sticky vnt, it will just over time accumulate oil anyways. I wouldn't make a habit of doing it and I would only do it day twice in the life time of the car.

Any trigger spray bottle will do the trick, it's just about borrowing a few around the house and testing them. Ideally you want a fine mist cast in a relatively tight cone which doesn't just hit the sides of your intake pipe.

My method was to fill the bottle with 250ml of water and using a stopwatch see how long it takes to empty with a few different triggers. The one I chose took a minute and 20 secs but produced a really fine mist that drifts around. Once you've found the best one you want to cut the lift pipe off the trigger allowing you to use it upside down. Test it again upside down and make sure it's screwed tight to avoid leaks. I ran out of time today as my engine was still hot and it was getting dark. A job for new years day (if I can stand up) as the sun should be shining on the westcountry :sun:

Just had a shop around Morrisons, mr muscle is on offer for £2.99 and get 100% free. If it works all the same it makes other products look a rip off!

Was mr muscle designed to be used on oil seals and other turbo components? I bet not.

I think I'd just remove the turbo, strip it down and clean it all properly anyway.

All these comments about seals...it is kind of intended for use with seals - oven seals ? lol

They are rubber too. If it straight out ate the seals then I'm pretty sure that they would be getting claims etc from customers.

That doesn't guarantee perfect compatibility, true, but to my mind it would discount that the chemical had an immediate deterioration on the rubber.

So if it has had a reported positive effect without (yet) any major issues, if you are having major issues anyway, I'd give it a shot. I'm more cautious about doing it preventatively though.

Surely just proper driving the car well to clear it out would be another way to keep the car free from problems.

Works for me anyway so far (100K) and I've yet to go anywhere near the turbo...although have had to clear out the EGR and done the elephant mod as it was getting gunked up. So maybe I'm deluding myself and it will just be a matter of time before I get turbo problems (its already a tad louder than normal), so maybe it wouldn't hurt for me to try this too ??

All these comments about seals...it is kind of intended for use with seals - oven seals ? lol

They are rubber too. If it straight out ate the seals then I'm pretty sure that they would be getting claims etc from customers.

That doesn't guarantee perfect compatibility, true, but to my mind it would discount that the chemical had an immediate deterioration on the rubber.

So if it has had a reported positive effect without (yet) any major issues, if you are having major issues anyway, I'd give it a shot. I'm more cautious about doing it preventatively though.

Surely just proper driving the car well to clear it out would be another way to keep the car free from problems.

Works for me anyway so far (100K) and I've yet to go anywhere near the turbo...although have had to clear out the EGR and done the elephant mod as it was getting gunked up. So maybe I'm deluding myself and it will just be a matter of time before I get turbo problems (its already a tad louder than normal), so maybe it wouldn't hurt for me to try this too ??

Try it -)

Mr muscle has been used that long in turbos.

Now mr muscle is made of sodium hydroxide - fact! what do garages use to clean turbos once stripped? Sodium Hydroxide!

To reitterate, mr muscle - loves the job you hate INCLUDING turbos :happy:

i would do it 3 monthly myself if i had time or inclination.

stripping is by far the best job you can do but not necessary

Edited by Lofty79