To buy or not to buy.....

CmB

Hi All,

Current Fabia vRS owner but i have been "advised", by my wife, that it is now considered to be "not a family type car". Huh, go figure!!

So i thought fine, i know, i will look at getting a more comfortable, larger, family orientated car and the only thing that possibly springs to mind and the absolute only option, in the whole world, would have to be an Octavia vRS !!!

Anyway my 2 questions have got to be to all of you is "Why should I" and "Why shouldn't I" buy the below listed car (or similar) ??????

http://www.autotrade...201211254377221

Seriously though, is there anything i need to keep an eye out for when buying secondhand and are there any known issues with this model?

Thanks in advance

Edited by CmB

Nice car that.

Looks like it has maxidot which is a nice addition.

Is that interior trim standard? looks like it has been vinyl wrapped in some sort of black carbon fibre. Or is that how they come these days?

Nothing wrong with the CR170 either, really good engine with no serious problems.

My Estate Octavia vRS Blackline is a perfect family car - loads of boot space, very comfortable and yet still goes like stink!!

My wife fully approves of it!!

nice car,but befour you commit for that kind of money why dont you have a test drive in a superb elergance not as sporty but a lot more car for your money.ie steering wheel control for your phone heated seats front and back i could go theres lots more

bill

nice car,but befour you commit for that kind of money why dont you have a test drive in a superb elergance not as sporty but a lot more car for your money.ie steering wheel control for your phone heated seats front and back i could go theres lots more

bill

And you can misplace entire families in the back of a Superb. Perfect for kids and the massive levels of crap that comes with them.

Plus you get adaptive Bi-Xenons, full leather electric seats, Columbus and Bluetooth as standard on the Elegance.

I have two kids (5 and 3 yrs ol) and the octavia is the perfect size. I expect when they're older I might look at Superb for the leg room but tbh right now it would be wasted.

vRS wagon is the perfect family transport for a petrolhead IMO. I liked my first one so much I got another.

:)

Only comments ref your link above, the black dash is not a wrap is just how the later car came - mine has that. Only pay the premium for diesel if you've actually done the maths and worked out if its worth it - you have to be doing some significant miles in my view for the diesel to be the better choice financially.. for me i just hate diesels so both of mine were/are petrol.

02p etc.

My Estate Octavia vRS Blackline is a perfect family car - loads of boot space, very comfortable and yet still goes like stink!!

^ I think that's it really. You don't say if you have kids or are about to. You can manage with a small car but the big boot in the Octy does make life easier. Now my kid is getting older I'm thinking about an estate with roof bars for bikes. More options with the estate I think and not much dearer.

the kids cannot kick the back of the seats in the superb

I sometimes wish id got the superb rather than my VRS but my VRS was such good value i couldnt even consider anything else. I dont think the back of my seat will get bothered just yet but i know what you mean. To this day i havent seen another car that can match the superb for rear legroom.

V good price for a 12 plate CR diesel. It does look like a standard car with no options other than metallic but theyre nicely enough equipped anyway. The diesel is cheaper to tax, insure and fuel than a petrol car, also holds a better residual value so will be cheaper to PCP than a similar price petrol car. Diesel isnt outrightly as fast but not massive amounts in it....for me at least makes more sense.

By the way the black interior trim is a 2012 model year update, replaced the alu look trim and is nicer IMO.

Superbs are nice enough but not at all sporty, also a nice Elegance diesel of this age and mileage will cost you 4-5k more....and itll be a bit less efficient and slower. The hatch on the Octavia at 580 litres is bloody huge anyway.

Edited by pipsyp

Having switched to an Octy VRS in (TSi not Diesel though) in August due to the birth of our daughter, I can vouch for it as a great family car. It's not really the amount of stuff you have to lug around with kids (although that can get to be quite a bit), it's how bulky it is - we also have newish Fiesta and the buggy doesn't go in the boot without putting the back seat down a little - I expect the Fabia would be the same. The only thing I've done to mine is swap out the front speakers for a set of Alpines as I was used to the Bose in my previous Mazda 3 - aside from that it's been great.

If you want a reasonably quick car the vRS is impossible to beat for VFM. I'd buy 1 again anyday. CR engine has so much torque it's brill. I even go off route just to drive mine a bit further! Only possible downside would be if you do loads of small journeys with the dreaded DPF, though the CR engine is much better suited to the DPF than the older PD. If that's the case go for the petrol, but still get a vRS. The black with normal neptune alloys looks great IMO

Do buy that.

Don't pay that.

Nice car that.

Looks like it has maxidot which is a nice addition.

Maybe not - says 'trip computer' which could be the big standard one. Bit like 'tinted glass' or 'lowered suspension' on an auto trader ad can often mean bog standard ;)

Looks exactly like mines mate! Same colour and engine, only difference is mines has the dsg and satnav. Its a 61 plate and i payed pretty much the exact saame price back in October there. LOVE IT. I have a son who is 4 but is rarely in it as i use it for going to and from work, cant fault it. Great on fuel, quick enough, looks nice and is comfortable. Also, when the wee mans in it is so practical. Carries myself and 4 adults to and from work on a 75mile round commute in total comfort.

Only thing i will say, its hard to keep the black looking clean and requires alot of care to avoid tarnished paint, but it does look nice :giggle:

You know it makes sense, just go for it! :yes: Looks like good VFM, keeping the Black clean probably a challenge, much more refined than the Fabia PD, but I still miss the hoot that it was to drive.

Made the jump myself last November, just couldn't convince on the MkII Fabia vRS. Went seeking new car for Mrs GB so quite how I ended up with the petrol Octy am still not sure, she's a gem though (the both of them that is!! :blush: ). Petrol is silky smooth as long as you can live with subsidising the oil multi-nationals.

Your example has 2 years warranty left on it (at least) so if you're doing the miles should provide enough time to flush out any specific issues on that actual car. Skoda main dealer, so back up should be about as good as you'll get from anywhere. If previous owner/keeper hasn't retro fitted a spare & jack/tools kit you might want to think about negotiating one into the deal, got my spare through the trade but worth having in my view.