How is the Citigo doing in the snow?

Hi guys, well...how are you lot getting on in the snow with your new cars. My Fabia is a diesel and can pretty much go anywhere within reason without experiencing the slipping wheels and immobilisation that some of my petrol counterparts experience. My engine certainly gives a bit more weight over the front wheels for grip, but I use normal tyres without a problem. If I change I want to know it will still cope without having to make Mrs Estate Man push!!

Hi guys, well...how are you lot getting on in the snow with your new cars. My Fabia is a diesel and can pretty much go anywhere within reason without experiencing the slipping wheels and immobilisation that some of my petrol counterparts experience. My engine certainly gives a bit more weight over the front wheels for grip, but I use normal tyres without a problem. If I change I want to know it will still cope without having to make Mrs Estate Man push!!

it really depends on the tyres fitted - cars don't grip the snow, tyres do. A bit like asking how steady on your feet you are in snow, answer is depends whether you're wearing boots or a pair of carpet slippers :giggle:

I drive daily in snow here in Finland. No problem, Citigo works fine, thanks to ESC, ABS, TC and EDS. Winter tyres (studded or studless) are compulsory here, I use studless winter tyres.

Edited by catharsis

it really depends on the tyres fitted - cars don't grip the snow, tyres do. A bit like asking how steady on your feet you are in snow, answer is depends whether you're wearing boots or a pair of carpet slippers :giggle:

Yes indeed, but the car attached to those tyres also makes a huge difference. Weight of the car, weight distribution, power delivery etc can help enormously. As can the gadgets like traction control, EBD etc. My diesel Fabia is far far easier to drive in the snow than the 1.2TSI version that I also have access to. There is little weight at the front to aid traction at crucial times with the TSI. So I've found myself having to go very very easy to get those wheels turning so slowly so as not to lose grip. It's tedious, especially when my diesel just goes without any messing and on standard tyres too. So I wait with baited breath. Yes I know it's also the skill of the driver, and it's probably the most important factor too. But I would like your thoughts after you've all been out for a play! Ta! Have fun.

Two years ago i drove my Smart to work in the snow.All cars were all over the road slipping and sliding.A Range Rover flew past all of us as if there was no snow.Thats the car you want in the snow.

On leaving the works car park you have to drive up hill.I was stuck.It took 4 of my work mates to push me out of the car park and up the hill.I got home and did not touch the car again till the snow had gone.

Now i am retired i never use the car in the snow.If i need to go out i use the bus which i find much safer.

Two years ago i drove my Smart to work in the snow.All cars were all over the road slipping and sliding.A Range Rover flew past all of us as if there was no snow.Thats the car you want in the snow.

On leaving the works car park you have to drive up hill.I was stuck.It took 4 of my work mates to push me out of the car park and up the hill.I got home and did not touch the car again till the snow had gone.

Now i am retired i never use the car in the snow.If i need to go out i use the bus which i find much safer.

Edited by SMART EXAMINER

Not tried it, but...

As far as the petrol / diesel debate I think the diesel is easier for two reasons.

The extra weight over the driven wheels and the extra torque.

The torque means you don't need as many revs to pull away (tickover works most of the time) so it's less likely to spin the wheels.

It also means you can pull away in 2nd gear, which most of the time works much better that 1st in slippery stuff.

It takes good clutch control mind.

It always makes me chuckle to see drivers revving the nuts off it and getting nowhere. :giggle:

CBF - thats how it works right keep putting the power down until you move!

Looks like I will be testing the twinair today, have to say I dont think its going to be that great

• Like 1

I wonder how those Auto CityGo owners are getting on? I leave my Auto MB at home in the snow and use my Panda....Much less slip and slide.

You must have had a quick thought about the new version of the4x4 Panda. Or even the 2WD Trekking version. Reviews seem to favour the TwinAir over the diesel . Never had a Fiat. Would have to think long and hard...the dealers don't seem to have a good reputation. Honest John has a 500 which he reckons hasn't given a scrap of trouble. If it wasn't so seemingly expensive the 4x4 has a distinct appeal...but then I suppose thoughts do tend to turn to 4x4's and winter tyres at times like these. My i10 has Goodyear 'all weather' tyres and the Yeti is on winter tyres at the moment, but haven't had cause to try either out yet. With advice to stay at home, I'm OK to abide with that.

Oldstan, Yes I agree our Panda is 8 years old in May. Bought it when it was 18 months old 4500UKP at 30,000 miles done 65k now. It's had a little trouble along the way ERG valve and sensor and shocks a safety recall on the esp but other than that it been a trouper. Amazing little car. I did Look at the new 4X4 and Trekking But didn't like the price. If I were able to hold off replacing my cars this year I might be lucky enough to pick a near new one up but SWMBO is leaning now toward a New CityGo.

Tried my Focus in the snow last night - awful due to the 18's with big fat tyres and only 3mm tread on the fronts.

Tried the Citigo in the snow this morning and it behaved impeccably !! :thumbup:

Yes indeed, but the car attached to those tyres also makes a huge difference. Weight of the car, weight distribution, power delivery etc can help enormously. As can the gadgets like traction control, EBD etc. My diesel Fabia is far far easier to drive in the snow than the 1.2TSI version that I also have access to. There is little weight at the front to aid traction at crucial times with the TSI. So I've found myself having to go very very easy to get those wheels turning so slowly so as not to lose grip. It's tedious, especially when my diesel just goes without any messing and on standard tyres too. So I wait with baited breath. Yes I know it's also the skill of the driver, and it's probably the most important factor too. But I would like your thoughts after you've all been out for a play! Ta! Have fun.

I'm right with you and completely understand your point on this one Estate Man. My little 3 pot is so light, the grip at the wheels has been awful. My Mk1 1.9 diesel had no such problems with the heavy engine astride the drive wheels. I might just add that I don't do winter tyres as I drive very low mileage and have not a lot of space to keep 2 sets, but recently I changed from the awful Bridgestones to Avon Z5's and the grip is markedly improved. Had Avons before and I love these tyres.