How is the Citigo doing in the snow?

I'm over in Sweden winter testing a bargain basement VW Up! (Citigo's more expensive brother) so no EPS or traction control, just ABS. It's a cracking little performer on snow and ice with big car stability thanks to having a wheel at each corner. It steers nicely on the throttle, that said I've managed to spin it on polished ice at over 40 mph :giggle:

up.jpg

The only problems we'd had is starting it at minus 31 degrees - needed a couple of jump starts, the tailgate lock button freezes so you can't open it and the rear screen demister can't cope at these temperatures.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by humsk

Given there's no or not a lot of snow in most of Scotland........ :lol:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Actually can i take that back its been snowing all evening :D

Given there's no or not a lot of snow in most of Scotland........ :lol:

Wonder what that white stuff was then - must have been my imagination...........

Edited by Crista

I wonder how those Auto CityGo owners are getting on? I leave my Auto MB at home in the snow and use my Panda....Much less slip and slide.

Actually, when ASG shifts the gear earlier than I'd do in manual, snow driving with Citigo is very easy and smooth. Haven't try yet to play a rally driver though.

Oldstan, I'm not sure the twinair is better than the diesel. Its quite hard work in the snow getting the revs right, it cant pull off on just clutch only (atleast mine cant) so trying to ease power without spinning the wheels or stalling is a challenge.

I would really suggest driving both. I think the diesel would be the easier car to live with.

The twinair in which ever model its in is more eco GTi than eco car. Its a revvy engine with very little torque.

CBF - thats how it works right keep putting the power down until you move!

:giggle: norty boy

that only works if you have the baked bean can exhaust, wide wheels, graphics all over the car for bits you don't have, a radio turned up so loud and the knobs ripped off so you can't turn the bass down, oh and its a 1.0 corsa with the halfrauds stick on "TURBO" or "GTI" label and no brain

oh forgot the tyres that let you drive like a turbo nutter until something by the side of the road (like a tree) jumps out in front of you

most of the rest of us realise slow but steady wins the race

Edited by bluecar1

Oldstan, I'm not sure the twinair is better than the diesel. Its quite hard work in the snow getting the revs right, it cant pull off on just clutch only (atleast mine cant) so trying to ease power without spinning the wheels or stalling is a challenge.

I would really suggest driving both. I think the diesel would be the easier car to live with.

The twinair in which ever model its in is more eco GTi than eco car. Its a revvy engine with very little torque.

That's worth bearing in mind - thank you. Now you mention it I recall reading something similar elsewhere. My own style of driving would favour the diesel, but the car would do short journeys much of the time and that brings it's own concerns, of course....and TBH an automatic is even more favourable - and they seem to be delaying reference to the Duologic at present.

your near me then, was up on M2 today and that was interesting, roads perfectly safe until some nutter in a hilux starts driving 3 feet from someones bumper taking no notice of conditions or everyone else leaving nice big gaps

luckilly this time no accidents

why do people have to do it??

To be honest in this weather I only ventured out friday night after a some snow in the gillingham area, to see if i could find any car parks.

oh and doing lifts at 3:30am last night / this morning (It was raining but not snowing!)

Well my daughter decided this morning that it was time to see what the roads were like.

I went with her for guidance and moral support as, thankfully, she has the sense to ask me.

Started off on a reasonable uphill and it moved off with no problem, stopped at an uphill junction a bit steeper and it managed to again pull off with only a small wheel slip.

The main roads around here have been gritted so no dramas there.

On our return home, going downhill was no problem.

Turned into our road, again with no drama but lost traction just after probably due to steering too much to get into parking space. A small reverse and try a slightly different track and bingo!

I was surprised how well it coped with the compacted snow and ice.

CFB, Has you daughter not had Snow Driving experience before then? I remember my first Time...... All those years ago when you really had to drive your car, No Power steering, ASR, Esp Etc..... My Dad never even thought about Helping me !!!! Good to know you all got back in one piece and the CityGo went well.

Matt, we've not really had the chance to do much driving in the snow but we did have a few hours in the last two years.

I'm a believer of assessing skills before allowing solo flight, as it were.

She is quite a good driver, though, and is smooth, which is a huge part of it.

I didn't have to do much other than a few minor pointers but she felt that having me in the car would help.

We have only been able to get her car out today as up to now the snow has been deep enough to make the front bumper a snowplough :giggle:

I got my snow training from my mum, who is from Norway, in an old mini.

Good experiences so far... my Elegance 60hk comes with 15" Auriga Summer Tyres (Conti Eco 2), and at present i has mounted the 14" Apus with Nokian Hakkapilitta R winter tyres.

Handles like a dream in wet, ice and snow. Cant fault them... the finnish always do an awesome extreme winter tyre for scandinavian market!!!

Its quite the norm to have to sets over here in Norway, but hasnt put me wrong ever so far. Very sturdy and capable in all conditions ;) = happy camper!

• Like 1