Octi mk 2 v Passat saloon

Gents,

I am asking you kind help in a non biased way for your opinions between the as stated Octi mk2 and VW Passat both with the 2.0 petrol Fsi power plant.

I have been on here looking for a few months now to find out woes and pro's and had my heart set on a Vrs of above model but due to funds (lack of) and overall running costs my concern mainly is boot size as er in doors won't have an estate as she can't park it, so with two young kids to cater for..... please advise??????

Yours gratefully and pulling hair out, :wall:

Andy.

The Octavia hatchback has exactly the same floor space as the estate. You gain volume with the estate, but the actual floor dimensions are identical. Also the overall dimensions of the Octavia estate are the same as the hatch, so should not be any more difficult to park. Both the hatch and estate Octavia would surely be easier to park than a Passat saloon.

I'd imagine the Octavia hatch has considerably more boot space than a Passat saloon, so that's what I'd go for with young kids.

But if your set on the passat, have a look at the Superb, as it's the same car.

Edited by booke23

As brook said the hatch and estate version of the Octavia are both the same size, the estate must be easier to park however due to the rear window on the estate being right at the back of the car, whereas the hatch has quite a blind spot, either way get one with reversing sensors for piece of mind.

But if your set on the passat, have a look at the Superb, as it's the same car.

Close but not quite true, the MKI Superb is based upon the Chinese (LWB) Passat, the MKII Superb (from 2008) is completely different.

The Superb however is a very long car so may not be practical for his SWMBO.

Don't know boot size of passat saloon but the boot on the octy is massive and wouldn't be surprised if it's bigger than the passat. Since the octy is a hatch the space is also more accessible. I had 3 octy vRS hatches when my two were younger and we did a lot of weekends away without any problems.

You are indeed correct ref the overall size of both hatch and estate and I even showed her the dimensions from the Skoda brochure so go figure what the problem is. I said the same about window at rear of car being the end of the car but you know women so this is just a throw it out there really.

Apart from the obvious (badge, lights, body panels, interior trim), what is the difference?

Everything, the MkII (current model) Superb is a completely new design compared to the Passat derived MkI.

Edited by silver1011

The Passat has a big boot but it isn't as accessible as it is on the Octavia due the saloon boot opening on the Passat.

This restricts what you can physically get into the boot.

With the Octavia being a hatch the boot is much more useable and therefore useful.

The boot aperture (opening) is the big problem with saloons. The boot capacity might be huge but you can't fit as much in and often the rear seats don't flip down as standard.

Your SWMBO is being silly to rule out an estate because it 'bigger'. It'll be exactly the same same size (give or take) as the hatch. What about the Octy hatch anyway. The boot is massive.

Thanks chaps, Silver, my budget is around 5-5.5k now as opposed to 6.5-7k initially. My emphasis is on low mileage as poss but i'm coming up against 70k plus. I was looking to get bluevrs' one he just swaped for R36 but after consideration probably not as comfortable with mods and really prefer standard.

Octavia. I owns mk2 hatch but have driven an 07 passat a lot at work. They both have enormous boots and loads of space and gadgets. The Octavia isn't a complete barge an handles much better. It's also a bit lighter. I have a vrs though.

Octavia. I own a mk2 hatch but have driven an 07 passat a lot at work. They both have enormous boots and loads of space and gadgets. The Octavia isn't a complete barge an handles much better. It's also a bit lighter. I have a vrs though.

I was referring to the difference between the MkII Superb and the 2005 onward Passat.

I think that is what silver was referring to, the MKI Superb is basically a stretched Passat, the MKII Superb is completely different to the 2005+ Passat, it is no longer based on the Passat, or any other car come to that.

All I have read about the latest Superb and Passat suggests they are based on the A5 (PQ45) platform.

Which would mean they are mechanically identical........Or am I missing something?

I understand they are not as similar as the MkI was...i.e. just a passat with skoda badges on it.

Mk 2 Superb is on the PQ46 platform which is a stretched 'A5' PQ35 platform as used by the 1Z Octavia and about a million other VAG models.

The 3C 'B6/B7' Passat is also on this modular platform and is transverse compared to the B5/5.5 which was Longitudinal - like the Mk1 (3U) Superb - and had access to a V6 Diesel engine - 2.5TDI.

The 'B6/B7' Passat isn't the same as the Audi A4 which is on a PLxx (longitudinal) platform.

IIRC the 3T superb has a longer wheelbase than the 'B6/B7' Passat so it differs from it once more.

The crucial word here is 'modular'. All of these platforms can be chopped and changed to suit. The Superb is technically unique although on the same PQ46 platform as the Passat.

Mk 2 Superb is on the PQ46 platform which is a stretched 'A5' PQ35 platform as used by the 1Z Octavia and about a million other VAG models.

The 3C 'B6/B7' Passat is also on this modular platform and is transverse compared to the B5/5.5 which was Longitudinal - like the Mk1 (3U) Superb - and had access to a V6 Diesel engine - 2.5TDI.

The 'B6/B7' Passat isn't the same as the Audi A4 which is on a PLxx (longitudinal) platform.

IIRC the 3T superb has a longer wheelbase than the 'B6/B7' Passat so it differs from it once more.

The crucial word here is 'modular'. All of these platforms can be chopped and changed to suit. The Superb is technically unique although on the same PQ46 platform as the Passat.

The issue is with it being complicated like this people want to know it but simpler. Would be better if it was:

A4/Passatt/Exeo/superb

Octy/Golf/Leon/A3

Rapid/toledo/Jetta

A1/polo/ibiza/fabia