Best small 4x4

seboni121

A Toyota Urban Cruiser 1.4D 4x4 is worth a look at if you can find a one, decent car, cheap to run and pretty bullet proof really. But only the diesel is 4x4, the petrol ones are just 2 wheel drive

Tried a Panda 4X4 out a couple of weeks back, great car, low running costs, 0.9 twin cylinder engine is probably a better bet than the Diesel and seemed more refined than the 3 pot in the Skoda Citigo.

It comes with dual purpose tyres already, and I pretty much liked everything about it.

Only downsides (being picky) were that its not that cheap, and that the steering column only adjusted for reach not rake which means I struggled to get a sensible seating position without my knees banging the steering wheel every time I changed gear (the demo didnt have a height adjuster on the drivers seat, although this is an option).

Certainly where my money would go, lovely little car.

Cheers..

RBW.

Edited by rainbow-walker

We almost went for the new Panda 4x4. Great little cars, if a little expensive. Residuals will be good, but you are still looking at loosing 5k in 3 years.

Main reason for not going for it was the size in the end. Just a bit too small for us.

I would consider the following:

Ignis 4x4 (or Justy, very similar). Cheap now, not sure about the Justy but the Ignis is only 4wd on demand.

Octavia 4x4. Early models are £1-1.5k now.

Land Rover Freelander. Not reliable, hence why they are now cheap. If you don't need it often though it could be OK.

Golf/Bora 4motion. A bit thirsty, so prices are coming down.

Any Subaru. Non turbo Impreza are cheap and reliable.

Or just get a 2wd with winter tyres. They didn't prevent me from getting anywhere in the Mondeo. Something with higher ground clearance and you would be fine almost everywhere. Certainly more places than 4wd on summer tyres if snow is the issue.

I have had a suzuki jimny 2007 1.3 jlx+ brilliant wee motor. Great for offroading and around town, useless on dual carriageways or motorwarys, once you get above 60 it drinks fuel !!! They seem to hold their value we bout it in 2008 and sold it in 2011 and only lost £1500 on it, for a newish car thought that was good.

Just seen an old Impreza up on a forecourt for £1995 near work - green with 'Sport' kit but probably only a 2.0 as it was an auto...

Just seen an old Impreza up on a forecourt for £1995 near work - green with 'Sport' kit but probably only a 2.0 as it was an auto...

I was just going to suggest that. I had £500 of Impreza 2.0AWD during the really bad winters of 09-10 and 10-11, and it went everywhere (in the North East, including rural areas in Northumberland and County Durham). I even used it to tow colleagues' 4x4s out of the car park at work, and that was on cheap nasty 'dealership special' rubber.

And it was lowered, which was responsible for the one time I had to give up and find another route - it built up such a massive plug of snow in front of the bumper that I literally couldn't force the car through it anymore. It was like a snowplough. Even then, I was still able to get traction, just couldn't push the weight of white stuff.

It had 197K miles on it on the original engine, and a stupid on/off paddle clutch the previous chav owner had fitted. Had a manual box with selectable hi-lo range and was unstoppable. Kinda miss it in a way.

The thing with many of those AWD road cars is that they are often no use going up or down

farm tracks with a grassy hump in the middle.

Even less so once snow is built up and the track has just 2 grooves to put your wheels in.

Dragging the underside has its limits,

but those can also be the just the same limitation with small 4x4 off roaders on standard size tyres.

george

What about a simple Land Rover Defender 90. You'll get a great off roader early ones are pritty simple cars meaning easily repaired if your good with spanners, a wire brush and some copper slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

I was just going to suggest that. I had £500 of Impreza 2.0AWD during the really bad winters of 09-10 and 10-11, and it went everywhere (in the North East, including rural areas in Northumberland and County Durham). I even used it to tow colleagues' 4x4s out of the car park at work, and that was on cheap nasty 'dealership special' rubber.

And it was lowered, which was responsible for the one time I had to give up and find another route - it built up such a massive plug of snow in front of the bumper that I literally couldn't force the car through it anymore. It was like a snowplough. Even then, I was still able to get traction, just couldn't push the weight of white stuff.

It had 197K miles on it on the original engine, and a stupid on/off paddle clutch the previous chav owner had fitted. Had a manual box with selectable hi-lo range and was unstoppable. Kinda miss it in a way.

A colleague of mine had a mid 90s non-turbo Impreza. He did 180,000 miles in 14 years and nothing broke. Didn't even need a replacement exhaust.

In comparison the 2003 mk4 Golf he also has is rubbish - litany of usual faults and the radiator sprung a leak the other week.

What about a simple Land Rover Defender 90. You'll get a great off roader early ones are pritty simple cars meaning easily repaired if your good with spanners, a wire brush and some copper slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk whilst in a taxi rank

Fantastic motors if you can afford one, even old ones in decent condition fetch a decent price.

• Like 1

SWMBO has a 2005, 5dr Toyota Rav4.2.. 2lvvti permanent 4wd with the full VSC control. She's had it for 3 years now and I doubt she will ever sell it.

Nothing has broken, drives very well on the road and handles driving through fields (when required) attending to the horses. It is also a god send living so close to the Peak District and needing it daily to get to the stables in the Peak District. Not once have I/we ever felt uncomfortable or nervous of taking it out there, no matter what the weather conditions. We have both commented that it is much more stable (better traction/cornering/stopping ability) on All Year Kumho KH15 tyres (235/60/16) than the S-Max on winter Vredestein Wintrac Extremes (225/50/17)

The only downside to the Rav4 is it is a 4WD softroader not a 4x4 and whilst it does offer better ground clearance than a car its not as good as a 4x4 but then it wasn't designed to be a 4x4.

The 4.2's can be bought cheaply although from memory if you want a 4wd one you need to look at the 2l petrol/diesel.

Matthew

They're a bit cult so always go for good money, more than they really should. The Jimny is a good little winter car and cheap too. Old Panda 4x4 is getting a bit old now even for a winter hack as is the Justy. It crosses my mind every so often to get a bike for summer and something like a Jimny for winter. But then ,normally, the snow is only on the road a couple of days a year.

Edited by Aspman

we owned (well dad did) in November '11 a Jimny SZ4 (AC, Alloys, Leather etc) - WHAT AN AWFUL VEHICLE! - 30mpg, flat out at 70mph, with the engine screaming for it's life, horrid handling and you broke your spine on speed bumps!

It was sold in Feb 2012 with less than 900 miles on the clock.

Yeti - Panda - NOT a Jimny, Please!

Al.

Edited by ukcruiser

Defenders are good fun, but they are expensive, noisy, thirsy and relatively uncomfortable.

But some people look past all that because they have character and just look so "right" driving through the countryside.

I've had several Defenders and would only buy one if I had some serious offroading to do, otherwise there is a better option.

You don't need great approach and departure angles, a good wading depth and the strength of a ladder frame chassis just to drive on a bit of snow in winter.

By modern standards they are a bit of a dinosaur. If you really need one though, they are the only choice IMO.

They hold their money well because new ones are in short supply.

New they are over £20k and nearly £30k for a good one with a few creature comforts.

ukcruiser,

it is odd the way that some people can treat a new car. or even buy a vehicle.

With the likes of a Jimny that worked as a pretty basic vehicle and got tarted up to make it more appealing.

The brake disc and pads & shoes will hardly have had the coatings off them by 900 miles, the brake cable will not have even stretched, the bearings could have done with some sympathetic running in,

& even tho the Toyota engine does not really need run in, it would be best to not give it the full welly.

The brakes and suspension with some miles on them certainly make things a bit better.

It might be no hotrod but the VVT engine certainly would not be flat out at 70, even carrying 3 in the car.

the VVT just goes again at 70 when its doing the high revs.

Certainly no luxury barge or even economy vehicle.

Anyone ever considering buying one needs to give it a very good roadtest before committing to buying.

george

George,

What i meant by flat out at 70, is i wouldn't want to take it any further - it's poor we underpowered 1.3 engine Screams at that speed. (Suzuki claim top speed of 87) It felt unsafe and waddled all over the road. - I'm used to High Revving engines, I own a V-Tec Honda Motorcycle which loves to be taken way over it's V-Tec line at 6500 revs, but the Suzuki was in a different place altogether.

But, it's what my dad wanted; i'm sure it was an impulse purchase - i tried my best to dissuade him from it but failed - maybe if you haven't driven any "modern" cars in the past 10 years, then it will feel good - but unfortunately, i drive a Superb 4x4 which drives well, is economical, is excellent in the snow / wet / dry (albeit with a relatively low ground-clerence) and will comfortably sit at motorway speeds.

I'm sure it's each to their own :)

Al.

I think they give an official top speed like that you quote, obviously they do well in excess of that quite easily,

but as you found out, you did not want to, and with a UK National speed limit, why would you really.

(you might wonder if you even checked or set the tyre pressures after the PDI & before taking it out on the road.)

Now why they Suzuki ever sell them with the Bridgestone tyres is something that amazes me, they are terrible

and downright dangerous.

Obviously i have no experience of Modern and capable vehicles like a Superb 4x4, they must be really super and exciting.

I live and dream.

george