1.2 TSI owners look here please

As some of you might have read im having some problems with a rattling noice coming from the engine bay, more specific the turbo/wastegate.

The sound is easiest heard when the car is standing still in neutral, quickly revving up to 3000rpm then just stepping of the accelerator. The sound is then heard when the revs start to descend or after 0,5s after they started descending. Sometimes you have to have the driver window down to hear it clearly.

Since i dont know anyone closeby that actually own a car with a 1.2 TSI engine and the dealer does not have one right now i would be extremly happy if someone could help me with this..

The perfect thing to do if possible:

Make a short recording down the engine bay looking at turbo when performing this revving, full accelerator up to 3000rpm then just step off it.

I imagine it is quite hard to do something like this if you are by yourself but in that case if you just open the driver/passenger door and do the same thing works also.

If someone could do this and post the video here or send it to me it would be very much appreciated!

Im trying to find out if the dealers are just trying to get rid of my by telling me stories or if it is actually true what he is saying that every 1,2 TSI engine has this sound..

Ours has a rattle dealer says they all do it to differing degrees it's the nig solenoid on back of the head with ours

But is yours the 1.2 TSI or the vRS? Does it come from the cylinder head?

Ive talked to 2 diffrent Skoda dealers and nr 1 told me that some vehicles have the rattling that i have. Person nr 2 told me that all the 1.2 TSI have that rattling sound from the wastegate. But i got the feeling that nr 2 just told me that to get rid of me.

I know that these engines isnt completly silent and they sound kind of like diesels in low revs. But in my opinion and other petrol heads this rattling does not sound very healthy.. But i dont want to put lots and lots of time and energy into this by pushing it upwards with Skoda and the trading standards if all cars have it.

Edited by Snowman89

My car's same issues were solved after turbo shimming and timing chain renewal under warranty.

Would it be possible for you to make a short video/sound recording as i described in the first post?

I just want to be sure that person nr 2 that i spoke to is talking BS before i proceed with this..

But is yours the 1.2 TSI or the vRS? Does it come from the cylinder head?

Ive talked to 2 diffrent Skoda dealers and nr 1 told me that some vehicles have the rattling that i have. Person nr 2 told me that all the 1.2 TSI have that rattling sound from the wastegate. But i got the feeling that nr 2 just told me that to get rid of me.

I know that these engines isnt completly silent and they sound kind of like diesels in low revs. But in my opinion and other petrol heads this rattling does not sound very healthy.. But i dont want to put lots and lots of time and energy into this by pushing it upwards with Skoda and the trading standards if all cars have it.

I have a mk1 vRs swmbo has a 105 tsi monte. Which has been to the dealers to have a similar sounding noise looked at and they told us both that they all do it to differing degrees it's something to do with the solenoid which control everything

I have a mk1 vRs swmbo has a 105 tsi monte. Which has been to the dealers to have a similar sounding noise looked at and they told us both that they all do it to differing degrees it's something to do with the solenoid which control everything

Hum but my sound is coming for the wastegate.

Would if be possible dorm you to record your engine sound from your Monte?

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2

Would it be possible for you to make a short video/sound recording as i described in the first post?

I just want to be sure that person nr 2 that i spoke to is talking BS before i proceed with this..

The noise from timing chain on cold start was the same in that video

Edited by irfant

The noise from timing chain on cold start was the same in that video

Okey, but my car only makes this sound when the revs are dropping after a quick increase from 3000rpm.

So im afraid that video doesnt really help.

Ive found many videos of rattling cam chains but none that actually rev the engine and record the sound from it.

Since it is only heard when doing it in a specific way.. That is why im asking here if someone could possible help me and make a recording.

Basically there are 2 different typical noises. The first is the cam chain an the second the fuel pipe.

• fuel pipe
    /

In your case i would assume it is the cam chain. Go to your dealer an get it checked.

Third possibility is the high pressure valve for the petrol direct injection, but i think thats not the noise you heard.

Basically there are 2 different typical noises. The first is the cam chain an the second the fuel pipe.

• fuel pipe
    /

In your case i would assume it is the cam chain. Go to your dealer an get it checked.

Third possibility is the high pressure valve for the petrol direct injection, but i think thats not the noise you heard.

Its none of those noises. Ive already had the car at the skoda workshop and me and them have already stated that it comes from the turbo area, more specific the wastegate. So im fully aware where the sound comes from.

What im interested in now is if this sound that i have is something that just a few cars have or if all 1.2 TSI sounds like mine.

That is why i wrote some short "instructions" on how to make the recording, even if your car sounds fine.

Then i can listen to the recordings and then decide if i should push it all forward or just accept a rattling car.

One dealer is saying some cars have this sound and the other one says all 1.2 TSI have it.

Had the same noise when revving and letting go. Skoda roadside assistance had a look and said that it is the actuator arm rattling and it is normal when cold as it expands when the turbo gets hot. He found a bulletin that explains this and tells the dealer to test it as follows (this is the VW bulletin as I could not find the Skoda one online):

Rattling Noises From Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System

Customer may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust are while accelerating from 1800-3000 RPM.

In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the following procedure:

1. Ensure that there is no physical damage internal or external to the turbocharger. If damage is observed, continue diagnosis and repair as necessary. If no damage is observed, proceed to Step 2.

2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarise yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in 4th gear(manual or auto trans) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws.

3. Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the wastegate actuator rod (figure 1) and take the vehicle for another test drive.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise is quieter or has changed pitch, DO NOT replace the turbocharger. Remove the weight, create a VTA ticket in ElsaWeb and contact the Volkswagen Techincal Heplline at 800-678-2389.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise has not changed, remove the weight and continue diagnosis and repair as necessary.

Note: Use caution when diagnosing the origin of the noise. Although the noise may be originating from the turbocharger, it can be amplified through resonance to the catalytic converter and be misdiagnosed as a loud converter.

Technical background

Because of exhaust gas pulsations the wastegate flap and actuator rod vibrate at the introduction of boost pressure..................."

• Like 1

As I wrote you back at your other thread I have the exact sound as you describes it since day one, and dealers (more than one) responded that this is normal. I don't know what to believe and my car now is out of warranty. My car is 31 months old and has 35.000Km on clock and drives as it should. I must admit that this car might be my last Skoda because all these potential problems and sounds and service campaigns makes me very anxious. Especially when I do read in many VAG forums about timing chain issues.

My personal opinion is that if this is a timing chain issue Skoda should replace it even if car is out of warranty since it has been serviced in time by dealers as described in users manual. It is supposed that timing chain lasts as car's life and that's why there is no regular timing chain service (or) change intervals just as timing belt does, thus I do not understand why should I pay for a timing chain replacement or even worse for an engine rebuit after a timing chain snap - failure.

Sometimes I think that 1.2Tsi sounds like old Singer sewing machine.

Edited by stratosg

Our 2011 Seat Ibiza 105Tsi had an rattle which could be heard when the car was stationary with the driver's window open and the engine was accelerated gently with no load (there was no noise when idling). It appeared to me to be coming from the exhaust system and I guessed it was the wastegate "fluttering". Sure enough this was cured last year when the wastegate actuator was shimmed. Since it is not a safety related issue there was no recall, VAG dealers do this when a car is booked in for other reasons. At the same time an updated engine map was loaded which has improved the transition between no boost and boost when accelerating the car at engine speeds from 1300 - 1600 rpm,

The only other engine noise I have heard is a muted "tinkling" sound which I believe to be from the high pressure direct fuel injection system. I mentioned this to the dealer and they agreed and consider it normal for these engines. I have never heard any noise that could be attributed to the timing chain.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up my Skoda Fabia Combi 1.2TS/63 (2012) after 10.000 kilometres service - including a 2nd check of a rattling noise when in neutral. The rattling noise is very loud inside the car, and I think possibly worse in cold weather. Last time the problem was, or so I was told, to do with a cable that needed isolation. The problem was, supposedly, fixed on return - but remained the same.

This time, they say the problem is a known issue with the turbo and that there's nothing to be done about it. Not acceptable.

• 2 years later...

I've got a similar problem (a sort of whine that will be around for days, vanish for a time then come back) on my Yeti 1.2 tsi. The dealers say it is normal on these 1.2 tsi engines and comes from the waste gate, but I'm not happy with this explanation as the noise is not there all the time, but is bl***y annoying when it is.

Has anyone had a successful resolution to this problem? It still has a year on the warranty so should I keep on pestering the dealers.

This issue is the only one stopping me changing my car for a new model, and I don't want to get another diesel. Other than this problem I am very happy with the Yeti.

Edited by Yetiray

Who at the dealers says this, the Service Desk Person, the Service Manager or Workshop Manager or the Technician.?

There is an action for them to take, there is a TPI and they need to see about doing a diagnosis and a repair.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/363500-12tsi-whining-noise-from-westgate-valve-on-turbo-yeti

EDIT. 

I see from your previous post i answered that it is a 2 year old Yeti.

?

Why not ask in the Yeti Section where others have also had the issue, and had it resolved?

Last year it was the technician, this year the Service Manager.

I posted in this thread as it seems to be very relevant and was told by the dealer it was an issue with the 1.2 tsi engine rather than just the Yeti model.

From what I've read I can't see anyone who has had the problem fixed.

I'll have a more detailed look in the Yeti forum.

Have you spoken with Skoda UK Customer Services, then a Customer Services Handler who can have the Technical Department arrange for you to see a Competent & Trained Technician rather than someone that says, 'They all do that sir / madam'.

In other words, log a case with Skoda UK while you are in Warranty, 

because Dealerships keep panning off customers, doing nothing, not contacting Skoda UK or CZ, or VW,

then Skoda UK say they never heard of problems.

ie, Overblown online, just Internet talk, no such issues exist, tough titty.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/309432-turbo-and-timing-chain-fail-on-12tsi

Just had my Furby serviced and i mentioned the rattle as i used a different garage than my usual as i wasn't happy with the other. The rattle was the from the timing chain guides but since the service the noice has gone and the guy said they used the wrong oil last year. H e put the right oil and so far so good.

Just had my Furby serviced and i mentioned the rattle as i used a different garage than my usual as i wasn't happy with the other. The rattle was the from the timing chain guides but since the service the noice has gone and the guy said they used the wrong oil last year. H e put the right oil and so far so good.

If the noise is truly coming from the guides then the odds are that the chain has stretched. The guides themselves should not make any noise. If it has stretched you need to replace the chain etc pronto. A dealer can check the stretch very easily to determine if the chain length is out of specification. Its a pity they did not do this during the service as the oil has to be partially drained to allow the chain tensioner to be removed.  

New oil in my wifes 1.2TSi at each service fixed the noise for a couple of hundred miles or so,  but it always came back in the end. A replacement cam chain fixed the noise in the end.

As another poster has pointed out these engines are noisy even when in the best of health so diagnosing chain stretch purely by listening can be challenging and is not a reliable method.

What year is your Fabia? Cam chain issues are not so common if manufactured after late 2011 (not sure of the precise date) - a revised chain arrangement was introduced after that date.