Yeti running away and ticking over at 1000 rpm

yeti4fun

Sorry if this has been discussed before but over the last couple of weeks when the snow has beeen bad, i have found that trying to gently drive down a snowy / icy hill the yeti ( 2.o tdi 110 2wd ) has been running away in 3rd gear and difficult to keep slow, is this because it has been re-generting as it has been idling at 1000 rpm and due to the cold.

I have found it a positive nuisance and felt slightly dangerous, it may now be putting me off another one.

Does this happen to a petrol engined one?

Mine also increases the revs to 1,000rpm when it is cold, I think this helps with the extra load on the alternator, heater, heated rear window, lights and so on, once the engine is warm the revs drop down again.

I know this is the easy thing to do which is what i do but i was always tought to run in as high a gear as possible to ensure the revs are not high!

Lower gear more engine braking.

It was still running away on the flat which i did not want to use second gear as it was slipping.

Suppose i need 4 wheel drive and winter tyres!!

Thanks for all comments

Just add winter tyres that will help, and save you going to the cost of changing for a 4x4. if the revs at tick over will not settle to normal a dealer visit may be needed.

During the cold weather my 140 was idling at 1000rpm-and I'm afraid the only thing to do is adapt your driving by using the gearbox. I think the idea of keeping the revs down and the gear high is not an absolute but a comparative.

I currently have the same car as you yeti4fun. And mine is the same it's high at 1000rpm but its definitely because of the cold, as this is the second winter I've noticed it.

I'm sure yours will be the same, but if your concerned contact the dealer.

Edited by Dinski

Our SM has only went out briefly a couple of times right at the end of the cold spell and I had planned on a brisk DPF-cleaning run at the first opportunity. However, yesterday and again this morning the tickover was well up to the 1K mark and felt lumpy, too (of course it would - I was looking for it!). When I stopped after a one mile run this morning (couldn't avoid it), certainly no time to get warm, the engine definitely smelt hot and yes the fan was running on. All was quiet when we got back to the car twenty minutes later and the tickover was back to 750-800 when we got home. A very short auto-regen? First one, 2.8K miles. Can't have been too bad.

I also had the same with my 110 2WD during the cold weather. It does eventually settle back to around 800rpm but is very dependant on outside temperature and driving method.

It has to be treated with care, in the snow (without winter tyres) I try to maintain traction by driving with foot off the accelerator relying on tickover. With 1000rpm I was spinning the front wheels up the short hill to my house.

Unexpected recent expenses prevented me from getting winter tyres but this has convinced me that they are probably a GOOD thing.

Fred

The 1.6Tdi greenline that i have behaves in the same manor.

If you try to run in third gear at lowish speeds it will try to "run away" with itself.

I found just blipping the throttle slightly made the problem go away and the car would then behave.

I was wondering if it was to do with the Cold or if the throttle was sticking but i came to the conclusion it was the cold and idling higher than normal as it stopped doing it once it warmed up a bit.

My old VW never had this issue but it was the older Pump Duse engine and it didn't have a DPF.

I put it down to something to get used to.

Further to #14 above: Still slightly cautious about a DPF regen, we went to do some shopping this afternoon and came home 'the long way round'. This involved a 3.5 mile stretch of sunny and nearly empty dual carriageway, which was dealt with briskly in 5th :angel: and brought the oil temperature nicely up to 100*C. I believe Annie must feel better for it. I certainly do. And m'lady didn't bat an eyelid...