Hello Skoda fans I am here to trouble you with a new problem to be solved. My Felicia is permanently leaking oil through the gearbox and I am afraid I have to add some ASAP. How do you do that? Thanks.

post-98703-0-93486700-1359407266_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-21250300-1359407346_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-92084900-1359407365_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-34463000-1359407390_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-32561700-1359407404_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-11300700-1359407418_thumb.jpg

post-98703-0-40140800-1359407434_thumb.jpg

It's done by removing the speedometer drive and filling it through that hole, though you have to be really, really careful not to drop bits of it into the gearbox.

You could also make sure that the breather under the clutch lever ontop of the gearbox is clear, as any pressure build up within the gearbox will force the oil out, though on a Felicia this is usually up the speedo cable so it drips inside the car.

From the pictures you posted, can't tell if you have an oil leak, or it's just splashing from the road. Looks can be very deceptive.

If you really want to know, clean thoroughly the gearbox outside with gasoline and a small brush, then wipe with a clean rag.

Drive some 10 km (preferably on dry roads if you have at that altitude) and park the car on a clean spot for the night. If you have a small pool of oil under the car next morning, or gearbox is dirty from oil, then you have a leak. But I doubt it.

About filling the gearbox with oil, check the level first by taking out the speedometer drive. You should have oil on the plastic gear.

My yard is stained with oil drops. Every morning I see a small spot of fresh oil on the floor. A mechanic suggested me the same as adurer i.e. cleaning the gearbox surface and detecting from where the leakeage comes out. However it is a difficult task since the car is too low and there is a little space to maneuver. According to the mechanic I have to change the oil retainer seal or perhaps the gasket. But I am afraid I can't make it by myself. I will add some more oil trying to avoid a more serious damage. And that will be all. I want to be sure where I have to pour the oil. I want to show you some photos.

An additional issue regarding this problem is that when the car is still cold, there is a eerie sound coming from the gearbox. This sound has been there since I bought the car. I have recorded the sound and I would like to share with you. When we rebuilt the engine, we replaced the clutch bearing that according to the mechanic was the problem but the sound didn't stop.

Believe or not but untill now I haven't tried the 5th gear since my Felicia is very weak. By the way I've got the Felicia clutch and manual gearbox manual if someone is interested.

Did you ever check for a plugged exhaust? I don't mean a banana or a potato inside, but could be bent or kinked pipes, muffler full of debris, mud, water, etc. That could be one cause for low power.

Attach 2-3 photos of gearbox manual to see what you have.

it is..

looks like your leak is from the joint between the casings due to the box being hit against the ground to many times (lowered car maybe?)

it distorts the casing and as there is no gasket just metal to metal it leaks.

you could try pinpunching the alloy either side of the join in a hope to seal it (I have used this method and it does work sometimes) otherwise its a strip and rebuild or second hand box.

• Like 1

Yes Sir the plastic cog is split but it still works, but now you make me wonder, perhaps should I change it or should it remain untill it breaks, which could be dangerous, fragments could go inside the gearbox, is that what you meant by your remark?

"the box being hit against the ground to many times" I think so too. The former owner hit the car for sure. Our street roads are full of potholes especially after a heavy rain. I will take my Felly to the mechanic to change the gearbox gasket. I could try pinpunching the alloy in an attempt to seal it but the car is too low, I don't have enough space to maneuver. I wish I could have an inspection pit in my own yard. I am saving some bucks to pay the mechanic.

The forum member that started a topic to ask for advice should usually end that topic by saying HOW HE SOLVED THAT PROBLEM, so that other people can learn from it. It is also a sign of courtesy towards all people that replied trying to help him. You don't want to leave the impression you ignore their good intention, don't you?

About 'making' a new question about the temperature sensor under a topic titled Felicia 1.3 heavy gearbox oil leak, let me ask you this: when you go to buy bread from a bakery, do you ask the baker to sell you socks?

Edited by adurer

Hey adurer I haven't solved the issue yet. I am saving some bucks to go to the mechanic. When I do it I'll take a photo or two to show -whoever might be interested- how it was solved. About the temp sensor, I found a topic related to the case and tried there.

However you don't have to be so sarcastic. I Guess not everyone is so knowledgeable in Felicias 1.3 like you. I have thanked you several times. You don't have the right to treat me as if I was a retarded. You may know a buch of things but I also deserve some respect too (even if I don't know as much as you). Etiquette rules are fine I agree with you, but I think you have started to be a little anoying.

Edited by PaulWalls

This is NOT about knowledge about Felicia when you ask "should I start a new topic to ask about other problem?".

No, dear, just toss them all in one topic in a big mess...

So don't start twisting my words in your favor and posing as 'victim' because you don't have any chance.

Is this the first forum you've seen in your life? Did you see how well organized it is? It has sections, sub-sections and topics.

Even if this was your first forum (which I doubt) you could have learned reading from other topics. Do you see any topic having as title the name of a member where he mixed all his problems ? NO, because a new member couldn't find anything specific on a SEARCH. You titled this topic Felicia 1.3 heavy gearbox oil leak. Good for you, but if so, then talk only about gearbox related issues. Think, man, think. Don't be lazy as you admitted in the other topic.

Now on a technical level, just to see how 'annoying' I am: do yourself a favor and don't 'save bucks' for this gearbox issue. Your gearbox isn't leaking. I know what is your concern, you heard that rattling sound inside gearbox when the engine is cold and you THOUGHT it is from lack of oil. Then you looked under your car and saw something that LOOKS LIKE OIL. Well, that's not oil from your gearbox, it is a mixture of dirt, grease, rubber, water FROM THE ROAD. You live in an area where it is raining very often, so here's your water and dirt, and if you ask yourself where is that grease and oil coming from... well, it's from other trucks that do leak. Then you park your car in front of your house and all that oily slime splashed under your car is dripping from the lowest spots (such as gearbox) making you think you have a leak. If you don't believe me, pour 0.1 liter (100 ml) of engine oil on asphalt and let it spread over night. You'll get a spot the size of a car the next day! THAT'S A LEAK.

In conclusion:

- the rattle sound inside gearbox is from WORN BEARINGS, not lack of oil. There are tens of thousands of Felicia cars with carburettor having the same noise, my car included.

- you can live with that noise a long time, especially if you change ALL the oil with any 75W90 GL4 brand. When you'll have more money it is a good idea to replace those bearings with new ones.

- change only the plastic gear of speed sender.

Edited by adurer