Winter Tires - Suitable All Year Round?

BobbyG79

Re the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons (225/50/R17), had them on my 1.2TSI Yeti for the last two winters and can agree with most of what BobbyG79 said above.

In snow the car feels stable when cornering and braking.

However the traction going up any sort of slope in the snow is pretty feeble. 

This probably has more to do with the light front end of the FWD 1.2 and the wide profile rubber rather than any fault of the tyres.

Incidentally, with regards to wear rates...for a couple years I did run my winters right into April/May when it was significantly warmer - and despite some fairly enthusiastic driving, noticed virtually no increase in wear rates compared to summers. They're just "squishy" and worse at braking !

I think the idea that winters will wear out in no time in warm weather is a little overstated, perhaps they used to, but it's an area where winter tyres have developed in recent years.

• Like 2

It's good to see that nothing changes on the YF - although the topic of Winter tyres etc. normally really kicks in with a vengeance in October. I reckon my Winters will be going on at the end of October, unless.........

• Like 1

Lady Elanore, your title ~ is that Lindisfarne as in the group, or Lindisfarne just across from Seahouses & Bamburgh?

Good spot. It's actually both. I adore Lindisfarne (and the whole of Northumberland-I was born in Newcastle ). It's also where I got my used name from..................The band and my favourite song of theirs :) Are you an ex-pat Geordie?

Having trouble seeing clearly....too much fog on the Tyne?

We can swing together, we can have a wee wee, we can have a wet on the wall......

You goy if :)

Grew up in Heaton, lived at Seahouses at weekends, we almost got caught on the Causeway once, and still think Lindesfarne's one of the all time.great groups.

You would need a good wading depth if you got stuck on the causeway!

Back on topic.....!

I'm about to start my 4th winter on my Continental WinterContacts.

My TS810's have 19,000 miles on the with 6mm of tread left and my TS830P have also just over 6mm of tread left on them.

I have not noticed any increased wear in warmer mins. I always change them when the temp drops to around 7 degrees and take them off when the temp goes above 7 degrees. Last winter they went on in October and came off very late, it was the end of April from memory.

Yes the braking isn't as good when the temps rise-I have driven them in temps of 25 degrees when there was a sudden warm spell a couple of years ago and I was in the lakes.

The handling in the warmer weather isn't as good because of the squishiness of the blocks, so you have to drive more gently, but as soon as the temps dropped I had so much more confidence.

I am going to fit the ones I had on the Yeti to my Freelander, and have bought a set of 16" LR alloy wheels (can't find any LR 1&6" steel wheels) off eBay.

They are roughly 20mm less on the diameter than the 65 profile tyres it should have, which will be fine.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick comparison of online prices.

Price is for 4 x Conti TS850 215/55/16 97H XL, delivered, unfitted, as of 1/10/2013:

Camskill: £439

Oponeo: £460

MyTyres: £490

Lovetyres: £512

Tyres-Pneus-Online: £456

Pays to shop around...Camskill are nearly always cheapest - if they have the model you want. And their delivery is quick too.

Or just use their price as a bartering tool with your local dealer :)

• Like 1