Winter Tires - Suitable All Year Round?

BobbyG79

I leave them on all year, as my car only does 12K per year and my wifes a paltry 3K a year.

It rains more often than not here, so it makes sense to me to leave winters on.

I do have space to store 4 tyres, just can't be bothered with the faff. I've just gone through my first pair on the front and they've done 15K - that's quite reasonable and what I'd normally get out of a tyre anyway.

It was you who said the statistics would support your (wrong) guess that average winter daytime temperatures are too high to justify winter tyres.

And now that you have actually been shown some statistics, you say you prefer to ignore statistics.

You "stick to logic", eh? Enough said.

Enjoy your expensive tyres. LOL

• 6 months later...

Hi.... I'm not a Yeti owner, but have been informed you guys are a good source of info on winter tires.... I've been reading that Michelin Alpin4s, ContiWinter TS850 and Nokian Hakkapeliitas are the top winter tires..... What are your experiences with these or others....

I'm taking deliver of a Citigo at the end of next month, and don't think the Nokians are available in 14"....

Regarding temperatures (I'm interested in the weather/temp sort of professionally):

Based on 20 years of data.... 50% of the time after the 19th November the average temp dips below 7C and normal service (50% chance average temp >7C) resumes after 17th March for Leeds...

I've only got experience of Nokian WR A3s, which aren't available in the Citigo sizes. They were excellent in the winter and I didn't notice any drop off in performance or handling even when the temperatures were well over 7C.

SWMBO has an i10 which only does around 5K a year. Having two sets of tyres for that mileage seemed pointless - the tyres would be getting on for 10 years old before being worn out, and I wouldn't like to have that age of tyre on a car these days. I opted for Goodyear Vector 4Seasons, which a number of Yetis here have fitted. I've driven them in just as bad snow as in the Yeti and they were excellent. They are only used for local driving around Wetherby, mainly Harrogate & Knaresborough, so face the same conditions you'll get.

Now I have a separate set of alloys for the winter tyres I'll probably stick with it, but I may well switch to 4Seasons when the Dunlops need replacing (likely to be another three years at least).

dbg400, I'm in Harrogate... (but my data was Leeds).... Conditions can be dodgy here.  Either in 2010 or 2011 took me 3.5 hours to get from Bradford....

Previously I'd experienced taking an hour from the airport, down Pool Bank to the bridge...... very icy and poor driving.... watching Range Rovers slide off the crown in the road...

I'm doing 15-16 k a year so will get some use out of the tires....

Cheers for the info on the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons.

"Cheers for the info on the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons".

I admit that trawling through the dozens of winter tyre threads and posts is daunting but there has been much opinion aired...both generally about the topic and also specifically re. the tyres you mention.  And my recollection is that almost all of the opinion is favourable provided you accept it to be "All Season" rather than "Winter"...but it does have the M and S and mountain symbols on it which we are advised to look for and I was convinced enough to take off the standard tyre on my other car when it was new and put the Vectors on it.  In my opinion, in normal use, both summer and winter, you can't tell them from any other tyre and in icy weather you hope your investment will pay dividends albeit they are a slight compromise, not being full on winter tyres.

Edited by oldstan

I think the various tests have shown that all season tyres are more than a slight compromise. In every instance, if I remember correctly, the all season tyres were outperformed enormously by the right tyres.

That may be your recollection...mine is that, yes, of course, the specific summer or winter tyre is the ideal option (and the one I've opted for on my own Yeti) but that for those who don't want to go to the expense and (slight) inconvenience of owning both sorts, then the All Season option is next best (and have been fine for me, personally on my Hyundai).  Obviously you have tried both yourself and have owned a car with the Vectors fitted as well as owning both specific winter and summer tyres...what is your own experience with them?

Its a known fact that using winter tyres during summer is compromising your safety. The braking distance needed is much more compared to summer tyres and their hydroplaning characteristics are much worse. For this reason alone I would use seperate sets of tyres during summers and winters. In Norway we have to switch to winter tyres during the winter months. We get fined if we do not have them on during the winter.

I would definitely look at stopping distances when considering all season tyres or keeping your winters on all year around...  You might be saving on cost and storage space but will you live with yourself if you know that had you been able to stop 5 meters shorter and that you could have avoided a serious accident (and its consequences?) if you had had summer tyres instead of winters/all season tyres?  Yes you get around, corner like normal and stop and will probably never know the difference but just that once, just that once when you needed summer tyres to stop in as short a distance as possible...  Surely that is reason enough to have the best and most suitable tyre for the season?  Devil's advocate I know but just how I see life.  Guilt is not something I want to live with (ever).

• Like 1

I would definitely look at stopping distances when considering all season tyres or keeping your winters on all year around...  You might be saving on cost and storage space but will you live with yourself if you know that had you been able to stop 5 meters shorter and that you could have avoided a serious accident (and its consequences?) if you had had summer tyres instead of winters/all season tyres?  Yes you get around, corner like normal and stop and will probably never know the difference but just that once, just that once when you needed summer tyres to stop in as short a distance as possible...  Surely that is reason enough to have the best and most suitable tyre for the season?  Devil's advocate I know but just how I see life.  Guilt is not something I want to live with (ever).

That works exactly the same switching winter and summer around. However, the stopping distance penalty of winters in summer is considerably less than summer tyres in winter. If you want to go down this route, there are tyres that are much better at braking in the dry and wet too as there is no perfect tyre. Everyone needs to find a sensible compromise that suits their needs and budget. I don't think winter tyres in summer is dangerous at all, providing the car is driven suitably.

Your comments are sound, of course, Johann, but not everyone has the funds / space for two sets of wheels / tyres.  If you can have only one set, which is going to give you the best possible overall average - summers, winters or all-seasons  :think: ? 

providing the car is driven suitably.

Surely, surely, surely this is the single most important factor in any discussion about tyres... ... ...

Sadly, of course, nothing can help predict or avoid something catastrophic ( like a lorry heading sideways towards you at breakneck speed) where neither all-weather, summer or winter can make a difference.

It seems to me that, if one can afford it, separate sets specifically for the season are the ideal - as is enforced in Norway. If finance is an issue, as it is for a good many car owners a different strategy is called for - but ALWAYS supported by suitable driving. I enjoyed my first winter in my Yeti (2010-2011) driving the bog standard Dunlops that came on the car. The next year I had read the various threads on here and elsewhere, saved a few quids here and there - mostly a few fewer bottles of red or tawny fluids(!) - and acquired winter Dunlops, getting them changed by the garage who kindly stored the summer tyres for me.

It was a very personal decision, as it is for all of us, but it certainly gave me an inner glow of satisfaction that I was doing the "right" thing.

Your comments are sound, of course, Johann, but not everyone has the funds / space for two sets of wheels / tyres.  If you can have only one set, which is going to give you the best possible overall average - summers, winters or all-seasons  :think: ? 

I understand the space issue...  But regarding funds:  what people forget it that when the winters are on, the summers are not putting miles on and vice versa...  So in total both sets will last MUCH longer.  So the ONLY financial outlay (assuming you change the wheels yourself) is the cost of 4 steel rims at £40 or so a pop.

The best average in my mind are the ones the car came with for obvious reasons - financial.  You can only ever consider anything else come the first time you change.  And then as an average, yes, I guess all-seasons will do the trick if, as Huskoda said, you drive sensibly.

BUT what people forget it that when the winters are on, the summers are not putting miles on and vice versa...  So in total both sets will last MUCH longer.  So the ONLY financial outlay (assuming you change the wheels yourself) is the cost of 4 steel rims at £40 or so a pop.

Spot on. However, it gets better. If your normal wheels are quite large, then it can actually work out the same or even cheaper to get a smaller second set with winter tyres (than a second set of summer tyres later).

Spot on. However, it gets better. If your normal wheels are quite large, then it can actually work out the same or even cheaper to get a smaller second set with winter tyres (than a second set of summer tyres later).

I guess you mean 16" vs 17" and the cost differences of these, because if you use actual smaller circumference tyres you will alter your speedo and mileage readings by more than the percentage it will be out if chosen carefully (i.e. to have as close as the same circumference - which the Škoda approved sizes are)

A rather tongue-in-cheek question - would you feel guilty after changing from winters to summers, and as can happen in the UK, you're caught out by a freak snowfall, have to brake suddenly and crash because the summers aren't the right tyre for the conditions?

I'd say it's Lady Luck dealing you a duff hand, which could be the case with any tyre really. Rain after very dry weather can make roads lethal to any tyre, as can sheet ice hidden under a layer of snow.

Maybe it's easier overseas in places like Canada and Scandinavia where the seasons are more defined? I find the 4 Seasons (with the 4x4) to be a great solution to the varying weather we endure in the UK. But I'll readily admit they're a jack of all trades, master of none. But not such a poor master as to concern me in any conditions I've experienced in the Yeti so far.

• Like 1

A rather tongue-in-cheek question - would you feel guilty after changing from winters to summers, and as can happen in the UK, you're caught out by a freak snowfall, have to brake suddenly and crash because the summers aren't the right tyre for the conditions?

I'd say it's Lady Luck dealing you a duff hand, which could be the case with any tyre really. Rain after very dry weather can make roads lethal to any tyre, as can sheet ice hidden under a layer of snow.

Maybe it's easier overseas in places like Canada and Scandinavia where the seasons are more defined? I find the 4 Seasons (with the 4x4) to be a great solution to the varying weather we endure in the UK. But I'll readily admit they're a jack of all trades, master of none. But not such a poor master as to concern me in any conditions I've experienced in the Yeti so far.

That's a decent summary.  As long as most people remember the bit I highlighted above all should be fine as you explain.

Unfair not to highlight the line after, IMHO though.

I did by saying you made a decent summary and I agree with what you said.   :rofl:  Plus the "suitably driven" highlighted higher up.  

Obviously you have tried both yourself and have owned a car with the Vectors fitted as well as owning both specific winter and summer tyres...what is your own experience with them?

I do not recall ever having made any such claim, just an observation that the comparison tests generally show that all seasons are outperformed by specific season tyres. I'm not sure what your point is.

I guess you mean 16" vs 17" and the cost differences of these, because if you use actual smaller circumference tyres you will alter your speedo and mileage readings by more than the percentage it will be out if chosen carefully (i.e. to have as close as the same circumference - which the Škoda approved sizes are)

Yep.

And I agree with Duck_Pond that all seasons suit the UK very well as we don't experience any extremes of any weather. Except maybe rain.