Xenon Headlights replaced with Halogen

paulm_in_bfg

Probably seems a strange question but would normal halogen headlights 'fit' in a Yeti fitted with Bi Xenons? i.e. would the connections be the same?

I have a 2012 Yeti SE Plus which i have fitted with LHD Conti headlights (in Germany you see) but I am looking to replace with an Elegance model with the Xenons as standard but dont want to buy LHD Xenons just for the BFG light test! So would I be able to put my existing lights in or are the connections not the same?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

If it is just a question of converting from RHD to LHD then on the Elegance model you can adjust the beam using maxidot controls. It is described in the Owners Manual and is simply a matter of click and switch!

If it is just a question of converting from RHD to LHD then on the Elegance model you can adjust the beam using maxidot controls. It is described in the Owners Manual and is simply a matter of click and switch!

This unfortunately is only for a tourist fix --it does not give the proper beam shape for lhd/rhd sufficient to pass an mot test or equivalent.

I'm pretty sure the Xenons are only 35w per lamp, whereas the halogens are 50/60w, 55/60w or 55/70w. So I'd imagine that the canbus would pick up the discrepancy & flag it up as a fault. I also think that if you can sort the coding issue, it might be easier to change the whole headlamp unit (they bolt in/out fairly easily) as the Xenons use a mechanical mask to give dip beam, so I would think that a dual filament H4 bulb wouldn't give you the beam you are looking for and would then also fail an MOT or equivalent.

I think the question was whether or not you can replace a whole headlamp unit. Physically it should be easy, but I doubt the connections would be the same. Are you just doing it for the BFG test, or is this intended to be a long-term modification. Would the test flag up a 'bulb-out' error as a problem?

I think the question was whether or not you can replace a whole headlamp unit. Physically it should be easy, but I doubt the connections would be the same. Are you just doing it for the BFG test, or is this intended to be a long-term modification. Would the test flag up a 'bulb-out' error as a problem?

Apologies... you are correct!

You could also be right about different connectors, 'fraid I can't check at the moment as It's chucking it down with squally rain.

Looking at some of the conversion kits from H4 to HID the wiring for the HID units is different.

I suspect the only way out of this situation will be to buy some second hand HID lights.

This unfortunately is only for a tourist fix --it does not give the proper beam shape for lhd/rhd sufficient to pass an mot test or equivalent.

A flat beam that the tourist function produces is perfectly acceptable for our MOT.

And indeed for the German TuV (mot equivalent) but not for the good folk of BFG authority. LH lights or waiver, no middle ground. Barking but thems the rules sadly. Thankfully coming back to UK so no need to buy Xenons for Snowpup at £800 but if anyone needs LHD lights for a Micra let me knows lol.

A flat beam that the tourist function produces is perfectly acceptable for our MOT.

A quick look round and I found this--so I don't think it is a clear cut as you would hope. A vehicle must be constructed to comply with the Construction and Use Regs for the land where it is registered:

Mr Mike Lowe, Senior Engineer at the DfT's Transport Technology and Standards Section, replied as follows:

You have commented on the requirements in the MOT test. The MOT is a basic roadworthiness test and does not cover all items required for the vehicle to be legal - if it did, the cost would be prohibitive. Passing an MOT is unfortunately not definitive proof that the vehicle is fully legal. A vehicle will often get through an MOT with beam deflectors, which is not correct.

A vehicle which is to be registered in the UK and which was manufactured (anywhere in the world) since 1986 must be fitted with "the required dipped beam for left-hand traffic". That means that the headlamp must have been type approved to European regulations with the correct beam for left hand traffic. There will be an "e-mark" on the lens, a letter e or E in a small circle with a number, some other numbers nearby and some letters - e.g. HC means Halogen dipped beam, HCR means Halogen dipped and main beam inside one housing. PL means Plastic Lens.

As you state, as part of the approval mark headlamp lenses often have a sideways pointing arrow (or arrows) which indicates the traffic side suitability. A few headlamps carry two arrows, pointing to the left and right, these are capable of producing the correct asymmetric beam for both left and right hand traffic with a special adjustment to change between the two, which would normally be performed by the manufacturer on the production line. In the absence of arrows, the headlamps can be shone onto a garage door at night to check the traffic side suitability. This is normally quite clear from the asymmetric wedge of light above the horizontal which lights up the verge.

He goes on to say that the passing of an MOT test is no guarantee that the vehicle would pass muster under the Con and Use Regs.

In practice bit of a muddy area having exported a car to the continent and all the vehicle had to do was pass the local test to get its local registration plate

The article is also a bit old and no mention of xenon---any thoughts?

Edited by yetiscot

A friend has recently permanently moved to Crete, taking his English registered Freelander with him. The Greek authorities refused to register the car over there until he had changed the lamps to left hand drive units.

There was a member here who tried to do a similar thing in France and he could not get his Yeti French registered until he changed the lamps.

There has been a previous Forces personel with a Yeti who has had the same problem.

That is three European countries that RIGHTLY insist that if you want a car over there you have the correct headlights fitted. What our MOT does has no relevance to exporting a car to Europe.

My motorbike is a German market one and had to have a UK-spec light fitted for registration in the UK.

As said above, the MoT does not infer road legality. Another bike of mine has a smashed speedometer with no cable; this passed an MoT fine but is still not road legal as it fails to meet Construction and Use regulations.

• 1 month later...

Paula_in_bfg. There has now been an update to the bfg process by where if there is a mechanical tourist mode ie on the bi xenon, the this will now pass. I can pass on link if required.

Dez also bfg.

• 1 year later...

Paula_in_bfg. There has now been an update to the bfg process by where if there is a mechanical tourist mode ie on the bi xenon, the this will now pass. I can pass on link if required.

Dez also bfg.

Hi what is the update as I am picking up a new seat leon which has tourist light values, would this be enough to pass the BFG test?

Alex

Adjusting the headlights

The light beam of the dipped beam lights is asymmetric: the side of the

road on which you are driving is lit more intensely.

When a car that is manufactured in a country that drives on the right travels

to a country that drives on the left (or vice versa), it is normally necessary to

cover part of the headlight bulbs with stickers or to change the adjustment

of the headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers.

In such cases, the regulations specify certain light values that must be complied

with for designated points of the light distribution. This is known as

“Tourist light”.

The light distribution that the halogen and full-LED headlights of the SEAT

Leon range have, allows the specific “tourist light” values to be met without

the need for stickers or changes in the settings.

“Tourist light” is only allowed temporarily. If you are planning a long stay in

a country that drives on the other side, you should take the vehicle to an

Authorised Technical Service to change the headlights.

Hi what is the update as I am picking up a new seat leon which has tourist light values, would this be enough to pass the BFG test?

Alex

I am not sure if the Leon has the same xenon lights as the Mk3 Octavia, however I know that this type of flat beaming headlight has been acceptable for BFG testing since last year.

Edited by Gers

I am not sure if the Leon has the same xenon lights as the Mk3 Octavia, however I know that this type of flat beaming headlight has been acceptable for BFG testing since last year.

As far as I know the Skoda has the ability to turn the beam into a flat beam and the Seat has no function. I am not exactly sure how this tourist lights value even works, but speaking to someone else he doesn't feel the car will pass BFG without purchasing new headlights.

However he is speaking to his friend next week and will find out what he had to do to pass the BFG lights test.

As far as I know the Skoda has the ability to turn the beam into a flat beam and the Seat has no function. I am not exactly sure how this tourist lights value even works, but speaking to someone else he doesn't feel the car will pass BFG without purchasing new headlights.

However he is speaking to his friend next week and will find out what he had to do to pass the BFG lights test.

The new rules for BFG headlights can be found here:

http://bfgnet.de/advice/vlo/change-to-headlights-requirements.html

Must be scope for some enterprising ebay trader to buy in lights from cars being converted and keep them in stock to sell secondhand to other needing to convert the other way with the same model. Stop a lot of waste as well, throwing out perfectly good lights!