Rns 510 firmware upgrades

If you are lucky pressing and holding setup will bring up a menu which will give you a four digit software number.  Failing that, the easiest way is to remove it and look at the sticker on the side (remove trim and then four torx screws and pull out).

Adam

Looking at the sticker is more reliable as you do not know whether the unit has already been software upgraded.

If it has, it will show 'software' part numbers not 'hardware' in most places.

Don't know if this is the correct section to ask this question but my gearbox or clutch (don't know to be honest) is giving me problems, from cold in the morning when starting its difficult to put into 1st sometimes I have to touch the accelerator to help it go into gear. The clutch doesn't slip and it pulls away as normal also the gears don't crunch so I don't think it's the synchromesh. There is 120000 miles on the clock ( car is an English import) and the clutch hasn't been changed since new, I'm guessing that it might need a new clutch but it works fine, a bit of a head melt, any ideas, cheers.

You'd be better off starting a new thread / topic in the appropriate car section with that question as it has nothing to do with the theme of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! I have a Octavia RS 2012 with Colombus nav.RNS 510. 3T0035680E HW61 SW3984 , and map v.7690. Can I upgrade firmware and maps ?? How? Can someone please give me some good links to downloads that works to my version and with some info?? I have been to local dealer and they say I have the latest firmware and maps, but when I read around theres lots of upgrades??

TBH you won't gain anything much apart from radio text by upgrading firmware so it's probably not worth it.

As for maps, I think yours are v.9 and officially the latest from Skoda (VW have v.10 that work).

• 1 month later...

Hi ! I have a Octavia RS 2012 with Colombus nav.RNS 510. 3T0035680E HW61 SW3984 , and map v.7690. Can I upgrade firmware and maps ?? How? Can someone please give me some good links to downloads that works to my version and with some info?? I have been to local dealer and they say I have the latest firmware and maps, but when I read around theres lots of upgrades??

I'm in the same position as this. I have just installed an RNS 510 (3T0035680E; HW61; SW3984; Map Version 8048) and I was wondering if there's an upgrade available - as the sound through MDI is terrible! Major distortion!! 

Thanks

I'm in the same position as this. I have just installed an RNS 510 (3T0035680E; HW61; SW3984; Map Version 8048) and I was wondering if there's an upgrade available - as the sound through MDI is terrible! Major distortion!!

Thanks

I doubt a firmware upgrade to the Columbus will cure poor sound via the MDI.

There is an (old) update available for the MDI (needs to be installed via a USB thumb drive connected to the MDI), but again I doubt it will cure your issue.

Have you recently fitted the MDI? Or has it suddenly gone 'bad'?

Have the following Columbus radio in my 2008 vrs

3T0035680E

HW version - H71

SW Version - 4120

Map Version - 7918

Due to the radio being slow to change stations or switch between songs I decided to update to firmware 5269

now radio is quicker with the functions and starts quicker

now reading

3T0035680K

HW version - H71

SW version - 5269

Map version - 7918

just awaiting map update now

• Like 1

3T0035680E

HW version - H71

SW Version - 4120

Map Version - 7918

Due to the radio being slow to change stations or switch between songs I decided to update to firmware 5269

now reading

3T0035680K

HW version - H71

SW version - 5269

Map version - 7918

Nice!  :happy:

Can you tell me where you got the firmware from please? (I know Google is my friend but he's not being so cooperative at the mo!) I can only find an upgrade to 4120.

Thanks.

I doubt a firmware upgrade to the Columbus will cure poor sound via the MDI.

There is an (old) update available for the MDI (needs to be installed via a USB thumb drive connected to the MDI), but again I doubt it will cure your issue.

Have you recently fitted the MDI? Or has it suddenly gone 'bad'?

Sorted KBPhoto,

It was the Aux Sensitivity settings in the menu - was set to high. As soon as I lowered it to 'medium' problem solved!

Cheers.

• Like 1

found firmware update on my-gti web site http://www.my-gti.com/3983/volkswagen-rns-510-hardware-and-software-firmware-versions

in the rns 510 page

downloaded the iso link

and burnt it to disc

update took about 55 mins

Thanks jeehi!

I did go to this site before but must have been looking at it with my eyes closed!  :wall:

Cheers!

• Like 1

3T0035680E

HW version - H71

SW Version - 4120

Map Version - 7918

now reading

3T0035680K

HW version - H71

SW version - 5269

Map version - 7918

Loving the info on this forum!!

Cheers jeehi for your info. Purchased my Columbus from a guy on eBay last Friday. Was looking at all the posts from Lithuania etc for Model K and L Columbus's but went for this 'E' Model from a UK seller. (Guy turned out to be Eastern European anyway!! (Probably Lithuanian! :rofl: ).

Like you, I had the following;

Hardware Model: 3T0 035 680 E

HW Version: HW61

SW Version: 3984

Map Version HDD: 8048

TV Free (Video In Motion)

(No secret Menu)

But now after following the link you posted to the firmware, I now have;

Hardware Model: 3T0 035 680 K

SW Version: 5269

(Secret Menu - Activated!).

Very happy - as it would appear all those models advertised on eBay as 'Latest 'K' version' could just be older models - like ours - with updated firmware!?? So in one fell swoop, I've saved myself a couple hundred quid - as the unit only cost me £350.00.

Not bad eh?

Now if I could just get the MFD to display the navigation info - that would be the icing on the cake - although it's not a necessity as the screen is so big n bright!

ps. Does yours now display Climatronic info? Mine doesn't. Again, another 'bonus' if that could work also.

If you search this forum there is pleanty of info on getting the climatronic info to display on the Columbus.

Getting navigation on the Maxidot display is a simple question of a couple of changes with VCDS. Again well documented on this forum.

If the 'bright screen' is the Columbus, there is a 'night' mode in the menu or 'automatic' that changes the mode when you put the car lights on.

It should also auto dim slightly in the dark. There is a small round sensor in the top right of the face panel.

I know many are sceptical about eBay bought units, but I'd be surprised if they were only firmware updated to latest versions as opposed to being physically manufactured as the latest (not that there is much physical difference).

• Like 1

Cheers KBPhoto,

Will have a search for the info - and someone with VCDS locally. Was gonna ask my local Skoda dealer - as the guys there are pretty awesome about things like this. I even told them I was getting a init from eBay and they were cool with it, telling me to pop in if there were any issues with it!

So they may be able/willing to sort me out?

richiecee

yes mine does display on the maxidot ( navigation and radio settings ) and the climate control displays on the radio.

the only thing that doesn't is the rear parking sensors but will have to upgrade the control box for that

looks like you have the V10 maps as well

I did the coding myself ( as I have VCDS ) following guides off the net

Edited by jeehi

Loving the info on this forum!!

Cheers jeehi for your info. Purchased my Columbus from a guy on eBay last Friday. Was looking at all the posts from Lithuania etc for Model K and L Columbus's but went for this 'E' Model from a UK seller. (Guy turned out to be Eastern European anyway!! (Probably Lithuanian! :rofl: ).

Like you, I had the following;

Hardware Model: 3T0 035 680 E

SW Version: 3984

(No secret Menu)

But now after following the link you posted to the firmware, I now have;

Hardware Model: 3T0 035 680 K

SW Version: 5269

(Secret Menu - Activated!).

Very happy - as it would appear all those models advertised on eBay as 'Latest 'K' version' could just be older models - like ours - with updated firmware!?? So in one fell swoop, I've saved myself a couple hundred quid - as the unit only cost me £350.00.

Not bad eh?

Now if I could just get the MFD to display the navigation info - that would be the icing on the cake - although it's not a necessity as the screen is so big n bright!

ps. Does yours now display Climatronic info? Mine doesn't. Again, another 'bonus' if that could work also.

I´am having trouble upgrading.

Everytime it goes into the HDD file at about 8% e says SWL error.

I´am doing this on a CD.

Must try DVD as on the boot logo before it also had trouble with CD but good on DVD.

Any sugestions

Edit.

DVD still a no no. It finally said HDD cannot read file.

Help

Edited by alberg

richiecee

yes mine does display on the maxidot ( navigation and radio settings ) and the climate control displays on the radio.

the only thing that doesn't is the rear parking sensors but will have to upgrade the control box for that

looks like you have the V10 maps as well

I did the coding myself ( as I have VCDS ) following guides off the net

Do you have facelift climate control?

Phil

Yep upgraded to facelift climate control, the old style with the two small LCD displays won't work with the columbus also about to fit Bluetooth and mid system to stereo

Was lucky mine is an 08 car with one fan for heater as the ones with two fans have problems

Did try a bolero in it but couldn't get it to work with the climate or the maxi dot

Edited by jeehi

I´am having trouble upgrading.

Everytime it goes into the HDD file at about 8% e says SWL error.

I´am doing this on a CD.

Must try DVD as on the boot logo before it also had trouble with CD but good on DVD.

Any sugestions

Edit.

DVD still a no no. It finally said HDD cannot read file.

Help

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but its a common error to simply copy the .iso file to the CD or DVD rather than creating a disc from the image file. Failing that being the issue, are you using good quality media, which is particularly important for older units with weaker lasers in the CD/DVD drive?

Adam