Focus st's

Only driven one ST and that was mapped so went quiet well, but i've had alot to do with the st engines as i work for volvo,

I wouldn't say the ST engines are as strong as the VAG 20v engines as i've seen a few thats gone pop over the years due to the block was never really designed to be bored to 2.5 and there not strong enough to take big boost, alot stronger in 2.3 format

Driven an 07 plate ST-2, was certainly a lot quicker than my standard 04 VRS. And sounded very nice. However I use Ford Focus' a lot at work and the build quality is rubbish, try changing bulbs or getting anything apart.

Also very very thirsty for what they are.

• 3 weeks later...

We test drove one of the new ST's today just to see what they are like and how they compare to the previous model. I have to say it was one of the most disappointing test drives I have ever had. We have the older model (2009) and absolutely love it. The new one however with the 4 cylinder 2.0ltr engine was a complete load of rubbish compared to the one we have. The new one is full of plastic and has so many driver aids that you don't actually feel like you are driving the car, the gadgets to make the car sound sporty create a very artificial sound and it just doesn't feel like a hot hatch should feel. If I compare it to my Octy vRS then to be honest in my opinion there is no comparison at all. The Octy is by far superior n many areas and nearly 10K cheaper !!!

My personal opinion - FL Octy is a brilliant car and the previous model ST is also a great car (for different reasons) but the new ST - a sheep in sheepskin clothing. Ford won't be getting any of our money !!