Rapid spaceback

I'll take my any former criticism I had beforehand - I think looking ahead, this may be the car to replace Stanley - my current Rapid. Pretty sexy and pretty sleek.

You gave your car a name....? ;)

• Like 1

I saw a new 13 plate Audi A3 Sportback this morning. I genuinely prefer the Rapid Spaceback. I've always loved the A3 but the new one seems to have lost it's sporty stance, and the Rapid seems to have gained it!

I know the A3 is newer platform, posher plastics, premium brand yada yada yada but on looks at least I'd chose the Skoda now.

I saw a new 13 plate Audi A3 Sportback this morning. I genuinely prefer the Rapid Spaceback. I've always loved the A3 but the new one seems to have lost it's sporty stance, and the Rapid seems to have gained it!

I know the A3 is newer platform, posher plastics, premium brand yada yada yada but on looks at least I'd chose the Skoda now.

Hmmm...  at least the A3 Sportback's wheels are in proportion to the car.  The two things that look weird to my eyes on the Spaceback, is that the wheels are woefully undersized relative to the car's body and that the car is too narrow.  Where again the A3 looks (and is) much wider, with decent sized wheels and thus looks better proportioned.  But in saying that the old (first) A3 Sportback looked much better and individual than the current one which is very bland.

For some of us, the Spaceback's narrowness (or lack of bloat) is a major plus point.

Yes I realise that - to fit in a garage.  I'm just talking about proportions when it is NOT in a garage!   :giggle:

The Rapid needs the 17s but think it looks fine on that?

Spaceback should be In better proportion than the Rapid liftback as it is the same width but 18cm shorter, and both are better than the current Fabia in this respect anyway.

Anyway, I'm really pleased I can now have a Skaudi A3 :)

1186094_487230161369450_817927806_n.jpg

A3.jpg

• Like 1

I'd certainly be very keen if it was offered with the 1.4 manual (are you listening, Skoda UK?). The 105 PS 1.2 would be perfectly OK, but it would be good with just that little extra - and Skoda aren't really worried about it treading on something else's toes.

Interestingly, the Spaceback will have very similar dimensions to the Nissan Tiida, which was another example of a Golf-class model based on a supermini platform. Spaceback is far better-looking, though.

I can see now why Skoda chose the Sportback style car over a normal sized hatchback.. The A3 Sportback outsells the hatch by a factor of 3-4 to 1.

Surely the A3 Sportback is in effect just a normal 5-door hatchback comparable to a Golf or Leon. In general 5-door Golf/Focus classes comfortably outsell their 3-door siblings.

Surely the A3 Sportback is in effect just a normal 5-door hatchback comparable to a Golf or Leon. In general 5-door Golf/Focus classes comfortably outsell their 3-door siblings.

It is very slightly longer than the normal A3, almost exactly the same length as the Spaceback.

Yes I realise that - to fit in a garage.  I'm just talking about proportions when it is NOT in a garage!   :giggle:

Not just a garage; my brother in law lives in a 1930's property and the drive width between his house and next door will only take a car 1700mm wide with wing mirrors folded, give or take the odd mm. Currently has a 10 year old Civic due to the width issues, so the spaceback might be ideal although I'm struggling to convince him of the virtues of Skoda ownership :giggle:

TP

• Like 1