Rapid spaceback

The Lawn Tennis Association are claiming there may be a 'Scout' version of the Rapid, but without 4WD http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/skoda-rapid-scout-pipeline/1208158

That could look quite good.

I am amazed Whatcar managed to get through a whole article about the Rapid without spitting bile!

• Like 1

Autocar first drive: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/rapid/first-drives/skoda-rapid-spaceback-16-tdi-prototype-first-drive-review

Not sure why it's still disguised?! Doesn't look great there but with the disguises lifted and with things like the 'black pack' and panoramic roof, glass hatch e.t.c. this will look pretty nice.

They have made some changes to the suspension which will also make it to the "liftback" version. They've also tweaked the steering, although not sure why as I find that to be perfectly ok on mine?

Pleased to see some partitions, nets, hooks e.t.c. in the boot!

According to one German review there is some kind of sporty version on the way next year.

Another German review said:

"When he runs his first tests of Spaceback also surprised with a completely new chassis tuning. Biggest gripe with the Rapid sedan was the wooden suspension, especially the rear axle has bucked on short bumps ever unrefined. This is nothing more feel. The space now much softer springs back, even rough patch on the road, he neatly parried. Nevertheless, the Skoda is still tight and matched with a good contact with the road, a BMW is not dissimilar. This also benefits the driving behavior. Together with the new electro-mechanical steering is now the new agreement creates a precise, agile handling. Even with the smallest engine, a 1.2-liter gasoline engine with just 75 hp, the Spaceback makes such a lot of fun."

• Like 1

Nice pictures, I think its a smart looking car but it definitely resembles an Estate and more so than the A3 Sportback. I also get the feeling that without the long wheelbase/ rear door it would size-wise match a Polo or Fabia. Think I prefer the Liftback's proportions. Still certainly not a bad effort and will be interesting to see how it sells. The revised suspension sounds like it could improve things a lot :)

WhatCar suggest the glass roof and tailgate can only be had with 17" rims as a style pack; shame if the case, as I like the glass bit but not the large wheels, be like another roller skate Monte crashing from one pot hole to another :giggle:

TP

• Like 1

The revised suspension sounds like it could improve things a lot :)

Would be nice to hear what the changes actually are, is it simply damper settings/spring tension, or is it something more fundamental meaning it can't be retrofitted? (sounds like 'liftback' Rapids will get the suspension change as well going off the stuff posted earlier)

What Car? review here:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/skoda/rapid/2014-skoda-rapid-spaceback-review/1208466

Not as negative as some they have written about the Rapid.

To be fair their 'official' review of the normal Rapid isn't really that wide of the mark, it's the "Our Cars" section where they're being particularly critical.

WhatCar suggest the glass roof and tailgate can only be had with 17" rims as a style pack; shame if the case, as I like the glass bit but not the large wheels, be like another roller skate Monte crashing from one pot hole to another :giggle:

TP

I hope there is a choice too - I would be happy with the 17s again (especially with the alleged new improved ride!) but I prefer the Camelot wheels which I already have to the "Ray" wheels seen on the cars in the photos above.

Would be nice to hear what the changes actually are, is it simply damper settings/spring tension, or is it something more fundamental meaning it can't be retrofitted? (sounds like 'liftback' Rapids will get the suspension change as well going off the stuff posted earlier)

I don't think there will be any change in the geometry or anything, so could be retrofitted but I would hardly think it was worth it. Here is what I could find on it:

Autocar: "Skoda has changed the set-up of the dampers to offer better cushioning right at the top of the damper travel,"

Auto.cz: (dodgy Google translation): "We tried to make driving more comfortable, because after the Rapid came from customers signals that it is one of the areas that need work on. Internal valve Suppressors (shock absorbers?) are now brand new and Spaceback should be on small bumps much smoother"

Nice pictures, I think its a smart looking car but it definitely resembles an Estate and more so than the A3 Sportback.

From reading some of the reviews from around the world which have appeared in the last day or so it seems that Skoda had a fight on their hands to be allowed to make this car. I have a feeling they told VW they wanted a Skoda "Golf" but VW said "nein!" so instead they had to make a slightly off-size car to keep them happy. Doesn't bother me as the Spaceback boot is probably just about big enough for me whereas a Golf would not be.

As ever I think the basic versions won't look to exciting but with this set up it should be a pretty striking car!:

skrasb40_5217707d873df.jpg