PID left in or out of the car

Owens

Soon to pick up my better half's Citigo with the PID and wondered how many people leave the PID in situ on the dash when in a car park or over night?

Just concerned about the light fingered brigade half inching it? I know the car features are coded to one vehicle but still could be used as satnav?

I know the Citigo doesn't have an alarm but does it have some sort of flashing light you can see from outside the car when the immobiliser is on?

Yes on the drivers door near the wing mirror.

If I'm not using it when driving, it sits in the glovebox.

When parked away from home, in the glovebox.

At home, in the house.

I would never leave it on display when parked.

Be careful as some insurers wont cover satnavs or electronics left in the car as the glovebox is the first place scumbags look

I know the Citigo doesn't have an alarm but does it have some sort of flashing light you can see from outside the car when the immobiliser is on?

Criminals will be fully aware which cars are alarmed and which arent.

I think there was an extensive previous topic regarding this, the general thoughts were to remove from sight.

Your average scumbag will think the PID is some sort of TomTom and break in to remove it in an effort to find his next hit.

The sad thing is, I find that I'm not using the PID as much as I should because I never put it in for short journeys of a few miles. Lazy but true.

Doh?

I did a quick search initially and could not see anything on leaving the PID i. But have now found it in the depths of the topics.

I don't use my PID very much, only on longer journeys.

It was great when I ventured over the border at the weekend into deepest Nottinghamshire. I needed to visit three places as part of a sort of shopping trip and it found all three ok. It is a bit slow in reacting, as in you've got to a junction/turn, or roundabout and need an instruction from the unit and sometimes it's too late, you're in the wrong lane. Mind you if you've ever been to Nottingham city centre it can be a bit confusing with or without a sat nav I have found, I know it in parts but don't venture there very often.

Incidently I found this on ebay the other week so ordered it £7. Ideal for those who like me have it laying around no used much.

ddc34b4e-5b62-454e-9df0-26d40306f756_zps8ca04843.jpg

Edited by MickA

Does it not?

The car review mags seem to think it does.

I'm curious, has it really not got an alarm?

I don't use my PID very much, only on longer journeys.

It was great when I ventured over the border at the weekend into deepest Nottinghamshire. I needed to visit three places as part of a sort of shopping trip and it found all three ok. It is a bit slow in reacting, as in you've got to a junction/turn, or roundabout and need an instruction from the unit and sometimes it's too late, you're in the wrong lane. Mind you if you've ever been to Nottingham city centre it can be a bit confusing with or without a sat nav I have found, I know it in parts but don't venture there very often.

Incidently I found this on ebay the other week so ordered it £7. Ideal for those who like me have it laying around no used much.

ddc34b4e-5b62-454e-9df0-26d40306f756_zps8ca04843.jpg

Sorry did you not get it when you picked your car up?

Trouble with the case it adds another dilemma. Do I...................

1. Remove PID and stand and put in glove box together ?
  2. Leave both unit and stand in place ?
  3. Remove PID from stand and put in glove box or take from car, leaving stand on display ?
  4. Remove PID from stand and put in carry case and put in glove box or take from car, leaving stand on display ?
  5. Remove PID from stand and put in carry case and take from car, leaving stand in glovebox ?

I'm sure there's other choices LOL

Edit: That's not forgetting fitting the blanking plate or not !! ;)

Edited by Feebet

I would think removing the stand and associated cabling repeatedly could lead to connection fitting problems over time?

I think most owners of the Citigo wouldn't leave the unit on display, fixed to it's position on the dash in an unattended car.

Myself, I remove both PID and bracket and pop them in the boot if leaving the car for a short period. Overnight or even a longer period during the day I would tend to take at least the PID with me, pop it in the other halfs handbag (it's usually big enough)

Putting it in the boot thinking it's going to be a bit more work/time for thieves to gain access to that area, so may well not bother. Leaving in the glove box would be thieves would look there first and easy enough to get to from a smashed passenger window.

Most of the time both PID and bracket sit in the house at home until needed for those long journeys, after all that's what I bought the car for mostly short local type stuff.

Mick

Yes, statistically you are more likely to get your car broken into if something is on display.

It's usually a waste of time and energy for thieves to just randomly break into cars on the hope there's a Tom Tom inside. Much easier just to find a car with a Tom Tom on display!