DSG Gear selector symbol - flashing spanner- any views?

First problem in seven months so wondering if anyone else has had this. Dealer seems flummoxed put politely.

Driving along straight road at 60 and all of a sudden the D7 symbol changes to flashing spanner. Happily came down through gears to D6, D5 etc and still spanner and drive symbol alternate every two or three seconds.

Everything else normal - 1.8 tsi continues to pull happily in all gears and DSG changes up and down like a dream.

Flashing spanner now disappeared after stopping and starting again so can't show dealer anything unless codes are lodged for inspection.

Wonder if anyone can give personal experience or an educated opinion which I am missing from the "master technician" at the dealer?

thanks to John but the flashing spanner Is in the wrong place on the display. Also other data shows service due in 8,000 miles!

It is conceivable that's what it means but if so it's a hiccup - much too early and not where the service reminder should be.

forgot to say but absolutely no mention of this symbol in the manual!

I have the 1.8TSi with 7 speed DSG - is that the same as yours? In 26k miles the only time the current gear display fails to show is just after startup where the maxidot feels it is important to tell me for a few seconds that I am looking at the MFD.

When the car is due a service it shows in the main data area not on the top line (where the gear indicator is).

There is a warning somewhere that tells you if the clutches are overheating - not sure what that looks like though.

Found it in the manual the selction indicator flashes but it does not mention a spanner symbol

An overheating of the clutches can be detected by the flashing of the selector level

indicator and the “jerk” of the clutches, finally the clutches are opened. The power

transmission from the engine to the front wheels is interrupted and as a result of this

the vehicle can no longer be driven. If the clutch opens automatically, depress the

brake pedal, wait a few seconds and only then continue driving

Just thinking aloud! Not sure it answers your question though!

• 2 years later...

First problem in seven months so wondering if anyone else has had this. Dealer seems flummoxed put politely.

Driving along straight road at 60 and all of a sudden the D7 symbol changes to flashing spanner. Happily came down through gears to D6, D5 etc and still spanner and drive symbol alternate every two or three seconds.

Everything else normal - 1.8 tsi continues to pull happily in all gears and DSG changes up and down like a dream.

Flashing spanner now disappeared after stopping and starting again so can't show dealer anything unless codes are lodged for inspection.

Wonder if anyone can give personal experience or an educated opinion which I am missing from the "master technician" at the dealer?

Sorry to bother but what was wrong with your car at the end? I have skoda octavia 1.8TSI 7spd DSG and got the same problem today.

Many Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked to see if your Gearbox is part of a Service Campaign by Skoda (VW) and Field Actions are required.? (Free)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

This is how it was done in New Zealand with the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

• 2 months later...