New vRS owner

MikeZ

Just thought I'd say hello :)

Picking up a new vRS estate on Friday - steel grey, black grill/headlamps, black alloys, cruise control, rear parking sensors and floor mats.

I called in at the showroom to see how long it takes to order a new vRS estate and this one had just arrived in Grimsby so I grabbed it there and then - talk about impulse buying :)

I'm coming from a Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion (which has to be one of the most boring cars to drive) so looking forward to something actually happening when I press the accelerator :)

I've never driven DSG before so a little apprehensive about things like pulling into traffic in the rush hour and reversing manoeuvres but I hear that you get used to it pretty quickly.

Roll on Friday :D

• Like 2

Give it a week and you'll realise that the DSG is an awesome gearbox, I was the same when coming out of my old car, and you can always flick it over to a manual setting if you want some control instead.

Enjoy the new car!

• Like 1

Just thought I'd say hello :)

Picking up a new vRS estate on Friday - steel grey, black grill/headlamps, black alloys, cruise control, rear parking sensors and floor mats.

I called in at the showroom to see how long it takes to order a new vRS estate and this one had just arrived in Grimsby so I grabbed it there and then - talk about impulse buying :)

I'm coming from a Golf 1.6 TDI Bluemotion (which has to be one of the most boring cars to drive) so looking forward to something actually happening when I press the accelerator :)

I've never driven DSG before so a little apprehensive about things like pulling into traffic in the rush hour and reversing manoeuvres but I hear that you get used to it pretty quickly.

Roll on Friday :D

Seb won't like you - which is a good thing :devil: .

I was exactly the same - in fact I was a bag of nerves driving the car out the garage - now I love the DSG. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Hi Mike

The engine and gearbox are superb,(it's really what you are paying for with the vrs) you will love the dsg after a very short while and will probably not want to go back to a manual. Enjoy!.

Went in to sign finance documents today and saw my new vRS in the car park - looks great :) It actually has silver alloys (I'm sure he said black when he was looking at it on the system) and I think I prefer that - it looks more like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The front spoiler on the estate looks really low - can you straddle a typical speed bump or are you better driving over the top?

Keep your left foot away from the brake pedal!!!! You will enjoy your car and as said above the DSG is ace, remember if your overtaking just whack the flappy paddles down a few and stab the gas, once you learn the ratios you will love it

Left flap twice (or 3 times if feeling like having some real fun), pull out, THEN hit the right hand pedal for overtaking...fun...get it slightly out of sync and you'll end up in the back of whatever you're trying to overtake..

Harder to use those paddles going around corners... I managed to hit the "-" paddle rather than the "+" paddle coming out of a roundabout (paddles were in reverse position because the wheel was so far around from "rest") - cue 6 million rpm on the dial, roaring engine... :blush:

• Like 2

So, I picked up the car today and now have a big smile on my face :)

I took to the DSG straight away - it just feels right. Engine's a bit tight at the moment but you can tell the potential is there as the throttle is so responsive. No hesitation from the DSG at roundabouts, either, which I was concerned about.

Quick question - I have rear parking sensors and, on the Golf with RPS, the left mirror moves down when you select reverse. This isn't happening on the Fabia. Should it? Can it be enabled with VCDS? It was a maxidot menu option on the Golf, I think.

So, I picked up the car today and now have a big smile on my face :)

I took to the DSG straight away - it just feels right. Engine's a bit tight at the moment but you can tell the potential is there as the throttle is so responsive. No hesitation from the DSG at roundabouts, either, which I was concerned about.

Quick question - I have rear parking sensors and, on the Golf with RPS, the left mirror moves down when you select reverse. This isn't happening on the Fabia. Should it? Can it be enabled with VCDS? It was a maxidot menu option on the Golf, I think.

No it shouldn't and no option on the Maxidot either. It may be on the VW's but then you need lots more of these ££££££.

Enjoy your new motor, I still am 2 years on.

No it shouldn't and no option on the Maxidot either. It may be on the VW's but then you need lots more of these ££££££.

Enjoy your new motor, I still am 2 years on.

OK, thanks - I guess it needs a mirror which can remember its current position.

Really enjoying the new car - only slight niggle is the road noise. It seems very loud on some surfaces to the extent of drowning out the engine noise. Maybe I've been spoilt by the Golf's quiet cabin :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The noise will just be part of the car, but different tyres do vary the noise a bit, always there tho, i just enjoy.

What tyres did the car come fitted with?

Have you set/adjusted to your own pressures then set the TPMS yourself.?

(maybe best just so that you know, look at the dipstick and check with cold oil and then with hot oil just to know where it was when the car was delivered, saves any doubt later, and if needing topping up in the first 3000 miles you can keep track.)

have fun with it.

george

Welcome Mike!

Look forward to seeing some photos of the new ride.

As for the DSG... I've had nothing but manual cars for almost 20 years, and it was the only real reservation I had about the RS. However, I'm finding the DSG is really growing on me. I find myself nearly always using it in manual mode, and using the sequential shifter to grab the gears. I still have control...can use the engine breaking, but have the lightning fast changes that help make this car surprise a lot of other motorists ;)

Also, the reports of it being harsh or awkward at low speeds really are exagerated as far as I'm concerned. I've not had a problem with this at all, and my morning commute of 25km can sometimes take over 50 minutes of stop / start driving.

Hope you enjoy the new ride!

I went for a longer drive today - around 50 miles on a mixture of roads including motorway. Tyre noise was much quieter on the motorway and A roads. Felt confident enough with the DSG to do so some quick overtakes - great fun :)

It has a noticeable pull to the left on country roads - wasn't as obvious on the motorway but was still doing it slightly. I'll check tyre pressures tomorrow and, if that doesn't help, drop in to the dealer for them to check tracking.

Edited by MikeZ

Mine pulls to the left too as did my other halfs until she had her tyres changed and alignment done. Need to get mine checked still.

I'm now not convinced that it's an issue. I found myself on a long straight road with no traffic this afternoon so tried driving down the middle and then on the right. In the middle the car goes perfectly straight and on the right it pulls to the right.

I think it's a combination of camber and me getting used to the handling after 5 years of wallowy golfs :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by MikeZ

Pretty much every modern VAG car pulls to left, as said above its a characteristic; most likely to prevent you ploughing into oncoming traffic should you collapse at the wheel. My last several VAG cars have also has slightly off centre steering wheels on dead-ahead, got one of them seen to but the dealer made it worse then no better so havent bothered since.