Boring thread: Wiper blades

So, probably due to the fact I'm a lazy bugger and like to sit inside a frosted car with all heaters on, using the wipers now and again to clear the thick ice - my blades are looking pretty shot.

Even the slightest amount of water on the screen is smeared rather than cleared away - alas it's time for new blades.

Won't wait until service time - I'm sure my local dealership will supply and fit new blades, however I dread to think at what cost.

So, which blades are worth buying?

See there are different types - aero, flat, ?

Any particular brand that is wroth buying?

I won't spend a fortune on them, however they do keep the windscreen clear and so are quite an important feature.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Bosch aero flex blades are fantastic and only 20 bucks ish. Smooth quiet efficient blade too.

Couldn't agree more. My old blades were bloody awful and left streaks all over the windscreen even though they weren't that old. Bosch blades have made all the difference. No streaks and they clear the windscreen with one wipe.

I got Bosch from ECP with their 30% discount. Might be worth looking to see what deals are on now.

Thanks for the replies.

So on the front we have 1x 24" and 1x 19" blades then? I'd honestly never even noticed they were different sizes :)

With regards the Bosch - we have "Multi Fit Flat" and "Direct Fit Flat". Any differences between the two except for the £4 extra on the multi?

Ta

I popped along to Euro Car Parts - They didn't list the multi and direct options, so I assume they are giving me the right ones from my reg number.

£27 for the set, however chuck in the 25% discount from here and we're down to £20.25 delivered - which is about £2.50 less that wiperblades.co.uk

Top stuff - maybe able to see again soon :)

Cheers all.

Just got an email offer from CarParts4U and have ordered pair of Valeo front blades for £16.50 including VAT and postage.

I've had the same email, not a bad price at all that, website is www.carparts4less.co.uk Part number 485774025

The website is basically a spin of of Euro Car Parts and their current price including Briskoda discount is £21.15 which makes this a good purchase at £16.50 all in.

Having said all that my eBay blade full set was less than £12.00.

EDIT: Just noticed that the product detail says Quantity 1 but it does quote two blade sizes, also says Bosch but listed as Valeo?! hmmmm

Edited by Pete T

I must be the only person in the world to have nothing but terrible experience with Bosch blades. Tried different types on different cars, never a good result.

I like Champion.

I've had the same email, not a bad price at all that, website is www.carparts4less.co.uk Part number 485774025

The website is basically a spin of of Euro Car Parts and their current price including Briskoda discount is £21.15 which makes this a good purchase at £16.50 all in.

Having said all that my eBay blade full set was less than £12.00.

EDIT: Just noticed that the product detail says Quantity 1 but it does quote two blade sizes, also says Bosch but listed as Valeo?! hmmmm

The product picture shows two blades so I hope it is ok. Probably find I get a plastic knife and fork, judging by some reports on this site. I'll pass on news of what arrives!

• Like 1

Well, well. Delivered from CarParts4U overnight, in spite of being free delivery. Came by courier, in a box 27" x 8" x 7" - I though somebody had sent me a hoover.

Seem very good. BUT, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but the box instructions (mostly in French) are done as drawings for Left Hand drive cars, and consequently show the wiper being fitted the wrong way for UK. Unlike VAG/Bosch wipers, Valeo can be fitted either way round (the pivot hole goes right through the block whereas in originals one side of the hole is blanked off ) and the drawing points out which "edge" of the wiper should face upwards when in parked position. For UK it needs to be reversed. The same correct edge will be upwards but the arm pivot will enter from the opposite end of the hole, so the Valeo trademark name ends up at the bottom of the blade (when vertical) instead of at the top.

As I recall it's a twin pack so two wipers in one box.

My new blades should arrive Monday/Tuesday. I was looking at the car earlier and I noticed that when the wipers are in their "resting place" there isn't exactly a lot of movement away from the windscreen.

In past cars you've been able to bend the wipers almost 90o from the windscreen to change the blades, I could hardly pull these 2" from my screen.

Is there a trick that enables me to get more play and space to change the blades? Turn off ignition with the blades halfway across the screen?

Switch ignition key completely off, then press the wiper stalk down (flick wipe) and they will 'park' up the screen so you can fold them back :)

Edited by Pete T
  • Like 1

Switch ignition key completely off, then press the wiper stalk down (flick wipe) and they will 'park' up the screen so you can fold them back :)

Known as Service position, so make sure you salute when they stand up!